2012 du tertre

robertgoulet

2012 du tertre

Post by robertgoulet »

Too young is all I can say

Where is this going? Not sure

It is just not showing its best at this stage in its evolution.

Like I said....green notes r always welcome but at this time the wine is dominated by bell pepper...it's a bit grapey
There is hope in the background with some smokey and floral notes ...no one liked it at the tasting. Though I was probably the only one who kinda liked it. At $39 it's a pass until this wine can show improvement, which I feel it can. I think there is hope. With the recent tasting of a rauzan segla 2012 which was far from impressive I must say, nothing in 2012 has inspired me in any way.
Roel

Re: 2012 du tertre

Post by Roel »

I have tasted a few 2012's and wasn't impressed at all. But that's maybe because I'm still trying to grab 2009/2010's.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Interesting. Maybe 2012s taste better in Bordeaux.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I had a nice 2012 Malescot recently. Nothing earth-shattering but quite nice. Half the cost of the 2009 too...though also not nearly as good (the 2009 Malescot was pretty spectacular before it shut down).
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Certainly tasting and touring the property can have a positive influence.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Time will tell what influence crossing the big pond will have. Two cases coming this Summer and unless we had the Parker barrel bottling at the chateau I find it hard to believe that all 18 of us were totally taken in by the surroundings. Possible as the place was spectacular and no one wanted to leave but I think this was a solid wine and doubt very much that we were all taken in by the Bordeaux spell.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Danny et al talked me into buying a few bottles. I opened one straight away and liked it quite a bit more than the Orlando crew, but perhaps not as much as the BWE crew. I gave it an "excellent" which is an A- or if forced to score it on the 100-point scale, 90-93 points. It didn't scream of Margaux so if typicity is your thing, my rating is probably a few points too high for you. Not sure if I posted my TN but here it is:
  • 2012 Château du Tertre - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (6/1/2015)
    Dark purple/black to rim. Cassis, iodine, fresh-cut brush and a creamy/lactic note on the nose. Plus a distinct hit of buttered popcorn (diacetyl?) that I usually associate with buttery chards, it recedes but never quite disappears over time. Medium body, lush creamy/velvety mouthfeel, ripe fruit with nice fresh balancing acid, not much tannin, medium finish. Not sure if this is really built for the long haul but I'm notoriously bad at predicting that. Excellent now, I'll happily drink it until (if?) it shuts down, and save a few for the 10-15 year mark and beyond.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I thought the 2012 du Tertre was consistent with other du Tertre I have drunk (with the caveat that I am not good at judging how young Bordeaux will develop). Usually it is not important to buy du Tertre early and I did not, but I will probably buy at least a case when I get around to considering which 2012s to buy.

Low 90s looks right, David. I don't think any of us rated the 2012 94 or above. The Margauxberries were shy.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I love Margaux but this clearly fell short of my wheelhouse...to its credit I did find the '09 giscours in an awkward stage once but I know thie giscours rocks, other tastings have confirmed this.

And yes...Parker barrels r very real as u all know....I personally experienced it first hand and a well known napa winery
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just find the 2012 vintage in general to be "pleasant," the wines smooth and "pure." We saw that consistently in the 2012s we had in France. I'm surprised you guys didn't like it, I'm hard pressed to remember anything offensive about it: no harsh tannins, no out-of-whack alcohol levels, no over-extraction, etc.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Just dominated by bell pepper...I prefer hints