2003 Tronquoy-Lalande and Lilian-Ladouys

Roel

2003 Tronquoy-Lalande and Lilian-Ladouys

Post by Roel »

Château Tronquoy-Lalande St. Estèphe CB 2003: First sniff... Yes, this is 2003 and Bordeaux. Tobacco, cedar, cherry pie, licorice, mint, soft veggie tones. Despite my closed nose, the wine wasn't closed. Quality coffee, licorice, chocolate, dark cherry and some balsamico on the palate. Great 'dark' wine to have a piece of meat with. Ends slightly shorter than expected, but still a tasty St. Estèphe. 90 points

Château Lilian-Ladouys St. Estèphe CB 2003
: Another St. Estèphe Cru Bourgeois, another wine worthy of attention. Nose with grilled red pepper, hot clay, lavender, thyme, cassis, ripe cherry and chocolate. On the palate refined and in full balance. There is fruit, plus pine forest, cinnamon and licorice. Good acidity and length. Delicious wine. 91 points
AKR

Re: 2003 Tronquoy-Lalande and Lilian-Ladouys

Post by AKR »

nice to hear they are hanging in there.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Even better on day 2!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Roel,

Thanks for the post.

A fascinating comparison.

Tronquoy-Lalande was bought by Bouygues (Montrose) in 2006, and the château has gone from strength to strength. However, it was also good before they arrived with all their millions.

Lilian-Ladouys also changed hands, in 2008, when it was bought by Jacky Lorenzetti, who went on to purchase Pedesclaux and 50% of Issan.

Not knowing any better, I might have thought the Tronquoy Lalande would be the better of the two wines.
I wonder what a re-match in a more recent vintage would reveal?

In any event, these 2003s are great to drink now, including a first growth (Mouton) I had this weekend.

All the best,
Alex
Roel

Post by Roel »

Hi Alex, it was the lack of length on behalf of the Tronquoy that made the slight difference. It is a dark, serieus wine. The Lilian was more 'agile', elegant. Both were very fine and I can imagine the 2003 Mouton to be a real treat! :)