TN: 03 Lagrange [St Julien]

AKR

TN: 03 Lagrange [St Julien]

Post by AKR »

03 Lagrange [St Julien] From a split, on the cool side temp wise, 20 minutes of air. Medium dusky red, some light sediment, medium bodied. Wife thinks the nose has smoky notes. I get some blood/saddle flavors, almost like a Brunello. On the palate its more red fruit flavors, and even a little acid, more than one would think for an 03. Tannins are resolved to me. I think I got this EP and had hopes that it would end up like the terrific 1990. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have that years concentration and balance. I don't think I have any more of these 2003's, but I'll be consuming them before the 1996's. It's maybe a B for me. A lot of wines fall into that lumpy, large category, so I realize that isn't very specific.
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: 03 Lagrange [St Julien]

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I could never get on with this wine. I found it gawky, unbalanced and unpleasant.

Has anyone had the 2002 Lagrange recently? I have a bunch.

I tried the 1986 a week ago and really liked it. Very 1986.
Roel

Post by Roel »

I think I had 16-18 bottles of 2003 Lagrange so far. Liked it more than Comte, but I've also noticed the unbalance, mostly because of the toasted oak. Other vintages were better.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I haven't had the 2002 Lagrange in awhile because I don't have any left, I loved it so much.
I'd be curious to see how it has developed.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I thought the 2003 Lagrange was a nice surprise, in regard of the vintage.

Surely miles ahead of the 2003 Péby Faugères...

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

The 03 right banks were disappointing and faded fast. We drank a case of splits of the Peby's little brother over the years, and they were best young. More balanced but older vintages of Faugeres are doing great still.