President Trump

JimHow

Re: President Trump

Post by JimHow »

National debt/cut spending:
Kasich: "Economic theory is fine, but you now what? People need help."
Focusing on success in Ohio.
He always seems like he's ready to cry.
Cut Medicare. Imagine that from a Republican.
80 points.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Cruz on tax reform, job creation.
10% income tax.
He's Harvard Law crisp but he's been kind of a disappointment to me in the debates, I've expected more fireworks from him.
84 points.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Poor Jeb, sounding wonky out of the gate.
He really needs to score somewhere tonight. Right now, he's as boring as a 93 Batailley.
I really like this guy but he is a dead man walking.
79+ points.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Carly.
Her women anecdotes are really getting tiring.
Yes, Carly. You're a woman. I know.
I actually believe women's issues are at the top of what needs to be address.
But you are a One Note Sally, or something like that.
79 points.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Rand on fed reserve, interest rates
Another dead man walking.
79 points.

Really boring first round, which goes to Rubio/Cruz.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Carson on Trust
Thank you for not asking me what I said in 10th grade.
I have no problem being vetted.
I have problem being lied about.
Dumping on Hillary.

Cheers.

85 points.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Trump on immigration.

We have to stop illegal immigration.
So happy re yesterday Texas legal decision.
We will have a wall.
Just ask Israel.

80 points.

Kasish doesn't like Trumps answer, interjects.
Mocking Trump.
A silly argument.
Not an adult argument.

Trump:
You're lucky in Ohio that you struck oil.
Invokes Ike on immigration.

Kasich making a fool of himself, trying to dump on Trump.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jeb:
More dumping on Trump on immigration.
They're ding high fives in the Clinton campaign when they hear this.
Ok! a little presidential!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Rubio on changing economy.

Kennedyesque.

I personally give him 65 points, the public will give him 90.

So far he is beating out his only threat, Jeb.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Cruz:
If the Republicans join the Democrats as the party of amnesty we will lose.

80 points.

I wish this guy would give Marco a run for his money, but he just doesn't have it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Carly:
Obamacare is crony capitalism at its worse.

Yes, Carly, because the Republicans are pure angel soft when it comes to capitalism.

Yuck.

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The moderators doing a nice job
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

50 minutes in, no big moments
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Taxes

Carson on tithing.

loopholes.
good answer, even tho i disagree.

2 good answers in a row for carson.

87 points
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

rand paul.
i want a government really, really small, so small you can barely see it.
85 points
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

cruz
more words in irs code than in bible.
and not one as good.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok this is REALLY boring, I'm done.
I would give the first half of the debate, in a mild surprise, to CARSON.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

There is only one of these jokers who can beat Hillary, and that is Rubio.
If they nominated any one of the others, I would feel good.
Unfortunately, I'm convinced they are going to coalesce around Rubio.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I find it amusing to hear them all talk about their tax plans. Umm...tax law is enacted by Congress. And we all know how well the parties are working together these days.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

We don't need the parties to work together, Jay, if all the institutions have majorities on the same side of the aisle (executive is always a majority of one.) Of course, that never seems to last longer than the first two years of a new Prez.

Nothing gets done now because nothing is veto-proof, so why bother compromising on anything.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I keep reading that The Donald had a meltdown in Iowa yesterday in a rambling 1.5 hour speech. Damn I can't seem to find it on youtube or anywhere, it sounds like it was beautiful. I think the Republican Party is having a nervous breakdown.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ted Cruz is like a Simpsons character come to life. Or if Satan was cast as a Republican running for President (the Rolling Stones version of the devil... suave, sophisticated, a man of wealth and taste... but still slippery and evil). At least when I watch him.

I think some Republicans felt this way about B. Clinton in the 90's, viz. Slick Willie.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Case in point:
Ted Cruz yesterday on immigration in American (with my emphasis added):

“If you’re supporting amnesty, you’re supporting the Obama-Clinton weakness and appeasement to radical Islamic terrorism,” Mr. Cruz told an often raucous crowd at a large church rally here. “If you are supporting amnesty, you’re supporting the Ayatollah Khamenei having nuclear weapons in Iran.”

Conflating a plan (even if you disagree with it) to tackle the immigration issue as putting a nuke straight into the Ayatollah's hands, wow! Demagoguery taken to a new low. And of course, he gets to define what amnesty is. Shameless, brilliant, and ... evil.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ted Cruz would win about 6 states in a general.
Rubio will win about 20 but we will still be sweating out the electoral college at 11:30pm on election night, waiting for those southern Ohio and Cleveland suburbs to come in, and wondering if he can snatch New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada, etc.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It really all does come down to Virginia these days, doesn't it.
(Not a good thing for the GOP, as they pretty much have to run the table otherwise. Not that it is by any means impossible.)
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Virginia does seem to be ground zero for the Republican party. If they lose Virginia, it is very hard to make a victory in the general add up...

Nate Silver went as high as 45% recently that Rubio gets the nomination in the end.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I haven't checked his site lately, is that the highest of any Republican?
(Both he and I predicted the electoral college vote exactly in the last election, by the way, a fact he has parlayed enormously since then. I predicted Florida the night before about 3 hours before he did, however.)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Virginia does seem to be ground zero for the Republican party. If they lose Virginia, it is very hard to make a victory in the general add up...
The demographics of Virginia have become very problematic for the Republicans in the past decade.

The Big Question is whether Rubio can win, and thus stave off the demise of the Republican Party and keep the Supreme Court in the hands of the right for another 20 years. If Rubio doesn't win, states like Texas and Georgia are gonna eventually join CO, NM, and AZ in the blue column, Hillary is gonna nominate 2-4 justices, the Dems will fix the House gerrymander problem in the next census, the millenials will grow up and vote in even greater numbers, the over-65 angry white people will die off, the internet will neutralize the last sputters of Big Money, and the Republican Party, kicking and screaming, will go the way of the Whigs.

But…. That's all if Hillary beats Marco. A BIG if.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

An interesting article from the FT’s Washington columnist Ed Luce who is British, and a former speech writer for Larry Summers

I found it interesting because all we hear about over here is about the lunatic fringes on the Right as epitomised by Donald Trump and Ben Carson. The left has its lunatic fringes too. I think the word ‘left’ should be substituted for ‘liberal’ because there is nothing liberal about what these people are trying to do.

The rise of liberal intolerance in the US

It ought to be a triumphal moment for American liberalism. In the space of a few years gay marriage has been accepted, marijuana has been legalised, America has twice elected its first black president and may well be gearing up to elect its first woman. Yet the revival of political correctness on US campuses — and the increasingly shrill tone of much of the intellectual left — tells another story. Instead of championing free speech, the left is trying to shut it down. In the name of diversity, it demands conformity. At stake is the character of US democracy. If elite Ivy League schools cannot stand the heat, what kind of kitchen will it be?

Far from outgrowing race, the PC movement is entrenching it. Princeton students this month occupied the university president’s office demanding the name Woodrow Wilson — America’s 28th president and former head of Princeton — be scrubbed from campus. That included the prestigious Woodrow Wilson School of Public Policy and International Affairs, residential halls and a mural of him in the dining hall. Protesters also demanded “cultural competency training” for faculty members and the introduction of mandatory courses on marginalised peoples.

The case against Wilson is simple. He reintroduced segregation into the federal workforce. The case in his favour is that he is an important historic figure. He was also author of the Treaty of Versailles. Once you start eliminating names, it is a journey without end. Logic would demand the renaming of Washington, since America’s first president owned slaves. Others, such as Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, were guiltier. Should they be judged solely on that? Winston Churchill was an unabashed imperialist. Yet history judges him kindly for standing up to Nazism. What about Franklin Roosevelt? America’s 32nd president did not lift a finger to advance civil rights. He also interned 120,000 Japanese-Americans in the second world war. There is no such thing as an uncomplicated historic figure.

The point of higher education is to inculcate a spirit of inquiry and toughen up the mind for the confusing world beyond. Yet US campuses are moving in the opposite direction. Today’s mantra is to create “safe spaces”. Campus libraries put “trigger warnings” on works of fiction: students are warned off Ovid’sMetamorphoses because it depicts rape, Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice (anti-semitism), F Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby (misogyny) and Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird (patriarchy). The term “microaggression” — giving unconscious verbal offence to marginalised groups — has entered everyday vocabulary. I have lost count of the conversations I have had with faculty heads who admit to censoring their language for fear of giving offence. Their jobs are sometimes at stake.

The goal is to eliminate prejudice from the mind. Yet it can have the perverse effect of heightening awareness of race. There is a boom on America’s campuses — and beyond — of what one critic has dubbed the “race therapy complex”. University faculties are bulging with multicultural guidance counsellors, diversity officers and those whose task it is to provide training in racial etiquette. Their job is to detect racial insensitivity. Naturally, some find it where it does not exist. The more such positions are created, the greater the vested interests behind it. As Upton Sinclair said: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.”

There is no doubt that racial prejudice is alive and well on the streets of America: look at the frequency of trigger-happy police responses to unarmed black suspects. But quashing free speech is no answer. Last year student protests forced a number of outside speakers — including Christine Lagarde, head of the International Monetary Fund; Condoleezza Rice, former US secretary of state; and women’s rights activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali — to withdraw from campus events. As head of the IMF, Ms Lagarde was a “primary culprit in failed developmental policies in the world’s poorest countries”, according to the students at Smith College. Ms Rice was a “war criminal” for supporting the Iraq invasion, said students at Rutgers. Ms Ali was guilty of Islamaphobia, said students at the University of Michigan.

This year was notable for safe commencement speakers. On UK campuses it is called “no-platforming”: to deprive those with whom you disagree of a chance to speak. For the record, I think the Iraq invasion was a colossal mistake and Ms Ali plays up dangerous stereotypes of the Muslim world. But different voices should be heard and debated.

What does this mean for the future? Forget about universities. The future has already graduated. Anyone with ambition in US public life has long since learnt the value of self-censorship. A word out of context can ruin your chances of being confirmed by the US Senate. Risk-taking is penalised. Blandness is key to career advancement. Little wonder large swaths of the American public have lost faith in their leaders’ integrity. When a politician speaks, the effect is too often chloroformic. The vacuum that spontaneity once occupied is wide open for others to fill. Next time you wonder why a demagogue like Donald Trumpis doing so well, ask why there is such high return to his plain spokenness. Could it be because it is being rooted out of public life?

edward.luce@ft.com
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Good article. There's been a lot written about this micro-aggression and triggering crap but it's not isolated to the left. Right now we're hearing it from the left on college campuses. But we've also heard it from the right from zealots who are offended by "Happy Holidays" in place of "Merry Christmas." Race, religion and gender seem to be the trigger points.

It really does threaten free speech. And it smacks of trying to control others under the guise of victimization. The proponents should be embarrassed to admit that they are so sensitive that they are incapable of engaging in dialogue. The "di" in dialogue means that both sides communicate. Not that one side gets to suppress the other. Sure, let's throw free speech under the bus so no one is ever offended or triggered.

The proper response to hateful speech is to aggressively counter-argue. The proper response to a "micro-aggression" is to engage in dialogue, not shut it down. It's one thing to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater or to incite a mob in real time to riot. But "Where are you from?" and "The most qualified person should get the job" are offensive? Maybe only to you, in your mind. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and "Where are you from?" is just an attempt to get to know you better.

If you don't want to hear anything that doesn't jibe with your own world view, if you have predetermined what is in the other party's heart and mind based solely on a catch-phrase that you've worked yourself up over (not that different than prejudice based on skin color IMO), and you want to shut up, fire or erase from history anybody who "micro-offends" you, maybe you ought to take a look at the similarities between your position and that of the radical religionists over the millennia. Your thinking, if not your techniques (so far) are uncomfortably similar to the logic behind the Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades, and more recently radical Islam. Do you want a society where no one dares to express themselves freely? Because that is where this movement is going.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It's going to be Hillary versus Rubio. And, as usual, we are going to be sweating out Ohio, Florida, Virginia, etc.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A good little video on my alma mater's soccer team:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 30%2F&_rdr
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Kind of a boring debate tonight.
Cruz and Rubio having a good first half, and Trump more even toned tonight.
Rubio and Cruz going at it.
I find myself actually pulling for Cruz.
God, I can't stand that fraud Rubio.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A strong night for Cruz.
I actually think The Donald is doing pretty well too.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I declare the winners of tonight's debate:
Ted Cruz and Donald Trump.
Pretty good nights for Ben Carson, Marco Rubio, and Chris Christie.
Poor Jeb. He's done, I think.
Time for Fiorina, Kasich, and Paul to drop out.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I try to watch one Donald Trump speech per week.

This most recent one may have been his best yet.

The talk in the middle about the Central Park ice rink… Brilliant!

https://youtu.be/r81Be9Gsbag

He will never be president, thank goodness, but he may have changed politics in this crazy country forever….
of7271

Post by of7271 »

Will a Trump White House change the house cuvée Schramsberg to his own? Make state dinners great again!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

It will be great. No more disgusting, low energy bubbly.