President Trump

DavidG

Re: President Trump

Post by DavidG »

Biggest surprise for me was O'Malley. He's a lightweight but gave a better speech than I thought he had in him.
Bloomberg and Biden were great.
Kaine was a disappointment.
Obama built to a nice crescendo and had some great lines and moments but he went on too long and lost his momentum.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I was impressed by a number of the minor speakers, especially Mark Kelly, Gabby Giffords and Admiral Huston.
The DNC video of national security officials speaking about Trump's lack of strength was a strong indictment.

Tim Kaine's speech was just fine.
It's the first time he's been in the national spotlight, and he made a good first impression.
No big gaffes, it's apparent he's a nice guy and works hard for issues of social justice.
He's a little boring, not a bad thing for a VP.
He appeals to a broad cultural audience - I didn't think his Spanish was forced or unnatural.
A safe choice for Hillary, but we'll see if he can add any energy that encourages Bernie progressives back into the fold,
or will Bernie and Elizabeth be needed all the way to November.

I liked Mr. Bloomberg's views on the republican candidate.
However he doesn't appeal to me as a presidential figure.

Kind of a shame Joe didn't run for President, but he's already been through enough.

I haven't had '89 Lynch Bages but I really enjoyed an '89 Haut Marbuzet a year ago.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Agree with your assessment of Kaine, Chris. I was expecting more and got only "good."
I too was very impressed with Adm Huston. He should be brought out of retirement if Clinton wins.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I forgot to mention Leon Panetta.
Another scathing indictment of the character of the republican nominee, from a national security expert whose experience cuts across political boundaries.

If one can't believe the solid people who are Mrs. Clinton's friends, as to her character,
I hope one can believe those who already know that Mr. Trump represents the worst kind of national security nightmare, and they believe Mrs Clinton would make a fine commander in chief.

BTW, apart from his family, did the Donald have any actual friends stand up for his character?
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The guy who wrote the Art of the Deal says Trump doesn't have any friends.
JScott

Post by JScott »

Racer Chris wrote:If one can't believe the solid people who are Mrs. Clinton's friends, as to her character,
I hope one can believe those who already know that Mr. Trump represents the worst kind of national security nightmare, and they believe Mrs Clinton would make a fine commander in chief.
I think I've made it clear here I'm no Trump fan, and not to re-hash old news, but if the Russians hacked the DNC server, emails and voicemails, what do you think the odds are they have everything Clinton ever sent and received from her special upstate home brew hard drive? This is our national security stalwart? Trump scares me too, but between the two of them, so far only one has given up top secret information.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JScott wrote:
Racer Chris wrote:If one can't believe the solid people who are Mrs. Clinton's friends, as to her character,
I think I've made it clear here I'm no Trump fan, and not to re-hash old news, but if the Russians hacked the DNC server, emails and voicemails, what do you think the odds are they have everything Clinton ever sent and received from her special upstate home brew hard drive? This is our national security stalwart? Trump scares me too, but between the two of them, so far only one has given up top secret information.
I'd put the odds about even with their having the emails stored on the secure DOS server.
JScott

Post by JScott »

DavidG wrote:
JScott wrote:
I'd put the odds about even with their having the emails stored on the secure DOS server.
Not sure I get your meaning????
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Interesting article about a previous national security breach:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... nts-213999
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

DavidG wrote: I'd put the odds about even with their having the emails stored on the secure DOS server.
I think he's suggesting they have the emails, but lifted from the state department, not from the Clintons' private server.
JScott

Post by JScott »

Interesting article, Racer, but inaccurate. It is based on the premise that none of the emails on Hillary's server were classified, which is simply not true.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JScott wrote:
DavidG wrote:
Not sure I get your meaning????
I think what David is saying is that the odds of govt server getting hacked is as good and equal as a private server getting hacked.
JScott

Post by JScott »

Ah, understand. Certainly possible, I have no doubt we're pecking away at theirs, too. Strange defense though. Also possible if I lock my doors a thief can still get in, but that doesn't mean it's just as prudent to leave the door open when I go on vacation. What do you think my homeowner's insurance would have to say about that?
JScott

Post by JScott »

Actually, my analogy is flawed, because I would be the only one at risk for my actions. More like being the employee of a jewelry store who leaves the door open on vacation. Doubt I'd get a promotion.....
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JScott wrote:Interesting article, Racer, but inaccurate. It is based on the premise that none of the emails on Hillary's server were classified, which is simply not true.
From the first paragraph of the article:
"In February 1987, at the height of the Cold War, a top official at State caused a leak of extremely sensitive material, classified above top secret. It was distributed far and wide—to nearly every country in the world. And for that serious information breach—much worse than anything Clinton is accused of—he received nothing more than a letter warning him to be more circumspect in the future."

I don't see a premise that no emails were classified, only that the breach in 1987 was far worse, yet resulted in nothing more than advice to not do that again.

FBI director Comey was quite clear on the details of how much and what level of classified information was on Hillary's server.

My opinion of Mr. Trump suggesting that Russian hackers should actively interfere in US presidential politics, is that such a statement rises to the level of treason.
He can't pass it off as sarcasm either. At that level one is not at liberty to make jokes about our national security.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JScott wrote:Actually, my analogy is flawed, because I would be the only one at risk for my actions. More like being the employee of a jewelry store who leaves the door open on vacation. Doubt I'd get a promotion.....
To make the analogy more accurate, the jewels were locked in the safe, but the accounting books were left on the counter.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

As an IT engineer, I worked for a networking company in testing the security of the gear they produced. Let's examine the facts.

First, is it legal to use a private server as a govt employee to do govt business?

Correct me if I am wrong. It doesn't seem against the law. It seems as long as you seek permission and check with security experts in the govt, you can have it setup. There was precedent in Bush admin as well. Now, did Hillary do it on her own or after going through established protocols at that time?

If it was done not following the protocol, then she should be liable for that.

Second, what type of security and what cryptography standards is that server using? Till wiki leaks, most of govt cryptography levels are crap with the exception of maybe NSA et al. For gods sake, the private sector banks are not being hacked left and right, otherwise all the bank deposits would have been left with zero balances. Nobody is talking about the standards that private server is using. I don't know why nobody is asking if that server is using standards at par, below or above what SOS uses.

I personally would not advise using a private server, but I would also look into the actual facts how it has been done and how it's being carried out assuming that it is legally allowed.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JScott wrote:Actually, my analogy is flawed, because I would be the only one at risk for my actions. More like being the employee of a jewelry store who leaves the door open on vacation. Doubt I'd get a promotion.....
But Scott, you are assuming that the door is left open. If that's the case, I stand corrected.

It could be more like if the store usually puts two locks, the employee could have used only 1 or 2 and maybe an even 2 with bigger locks. Like I mentioned in above post.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

And so now the big night arrives….
Hillary Clinton…. Trying to close the deal with the American public.
To be introduced by her beloved daughter and best friend, Chelsea.
Beeeyyaaalll sitting in the rafters, clapping, laughing, leaning over to the guy sitting next to him at each applause line, knowing the cameras are on him.
Kumbaya.

Cuomo speaking now.
His father gave the greatest speech in my adult lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgIMIEX ... 891D5BF726
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Grab the popcorn. Wonder should I DVR it ... nah.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A boring lineup tonight although I'm looking forward to hearing from Kareem.
I still have an autograph from him somewhere in the attic when he was Lou Alcindor.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You know, if we had a LEVY-HOWANIEC '16 ticket… Give us 4 years. The handsome, calm, even-handed president. Above politics. The firebrand Veep who would handle the rough and tumble of Congress. Man, we would clean this mess up in 4-8 years….
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

wow, Kareem doesn't look healthy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hillary invoking a dead soldier on a political night. Boo.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok from this point forward we will give either a "Boo" or a "Yay" as Hillary tells us why to vote for her.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

ugh. father of deceased Muslim soldier.
a big "boo" in my book.
This should be beyond politics.
jal

Post by jal »

JimHow wrote:Hillary invoking a dead soldier on a political night. Boo.
Maybe, but I like the Patriotic American Muslim parents. The message is positive. Especially with Trump harping on Muslims.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, I hear you, it's heart rending.
But boy this is walking a fine line if you ask me.
Fox News is gonna crucify the Dems on this.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Yeah, I hear you, it's heart rending.
But boy this is walking a fine line if you ask me.
Fox News is gonna crucify the Dems on this.
But I think if Donald Duck is talking about muslims, I think it's ok for muslims to speak out also. Well, in terms of politics, didn't the repub convention invoke 4 diplomats died in benghazi?
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jal

Post by jal »

Chateau Vin wrote:[But I think if Donald Duck is talking about muslims, I think it's ok for muslims to speak out also. Well, in terms of politics, didn't the repub convention invoked 4 diplomats died in benghazi?
I understand Jim. I would have liked the Democrats to take the high road. The message from the father was on the whole positive, except when he said" if it were up to Trump, my son wouldn't even have been in America."
Last edited by jal on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

well there was nothing good from the Republican convention CV.
I agree, you know, one of the great moments of the 2008 election was when Colin Powell spoke of Muslim soldiers who had died.
I just get really squeamish when dead people who died violently in war, who are not here to represent themselves, are invoked in a POLITICAL convention, a place where the likes of Huma Amedin, Debbie Wasserman, and Anthony Weiner are hanging out comparing notes on their Hamilton prime orchestra experiences….

Nope…

As poignant as that moment was, with those two wonderful Muslim parents..

A big "BOO" in my book….

As I type this some general is screaming into the microphone. Sigh… America… The country of W-A-R.

BOO.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

jal wrote:
Chateau Vin wrote:[But I think if Donald Duck is talking about muslims, I think it's ok for muslims to speak out also. Well, in terms of politics, didn't the repub convention invoked 4 diplomats died in benghazi?
I understand Jim. I would have liked the Democrats to take the high road. The message from the father was on the whole positive, except when he said" if it were up to Trump, my son wouldn't even have been in America."
Probably it's possible that his son was not born in this country, but they might have emigrated from other country. Looks like the father is a south asian muslim, who immigrated with his family to the US. So he was referring about trump's ban on muslims..
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
jal

Post by jal »

I thought they mentioned the son was born in the United Arab Emirates, I may be wrong. I'll check
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

jal wrote:I thought they mentioned the son was born in the United Arab Emirates, I may be wrong. I'll check
Even that's the case, his son is a naturalized citizen, but not born here...
jal

Post by jal »

Yup, Born in the UAE, emigrated here at the age of 2.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Now some Congressman from Sacramento.
They are clearly putting on the most boring speakers tonight so that Hillary is not a letdown.
I'm not criticizing that strategy, just pointing it out.
Obviously you don't want to have her following Barack and Michelle.
It'll be interesting to see how Hillary and the taller Kaine "look" together when he comes out after her speech and they loft hands together.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Katy Perry. I've heard of her. I wouldn't be able to pick her out if I were in the same room. She must be good if she is getting such a big prime time slot
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Anderson Cooper… The dude is good.

You know who I also like from CNN, they should put him in prime time more often… Joe Johns.

Katy Perry. She's a brunette. I was expecting a blonde.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Katy Perry… Led Zeppelin she is not.
She's pretty, seems like a nice girl.
But if the Chelsea Clinton crowd says she's the one, I'm gonna follow her lead, I'm just an old white guy who can't dance.
A mild "Yay."
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok I recognize this "Eye of the Tiger" song, wasn't that something from a Rocky Balboa movie?

"Yay."