President Trump

Chateau Vin

Re: President Trump

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Four weeks from today. Eternity. The polls have already started to tighten after the debate. A very volatile electorate.
And then the second show drops on Donald...Clinton takes the lead....But again Clinton emails, wikileaks, blah blah blah...The race tightens again...Then the third shoe drops...Rinse and Repeat....
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

This darn political circus is taking time away from looking into down ballot and prop measures...Not anymore....

I am not undecided any more and have made up my mind...The CA ballot is like 2 pages with around 17 prop measures, and I am gonna vote early in the middle of this week or next week. Need to decide on just a couple of prop measures pertaining to death penalty and healthcare...No offense to either country lawyers or fancy lawyers, but this lawyerly jargon is killing me....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What's going on with the death penalty in Cali, CV?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I read an article today that suggested the election may be over before Nov. 8th.
Early voting is going strong, with reports of many more ballots being distributed to dems than reps.
Also, voter registrations are up more for dems than reps.
HIllary could be far enough ahead by election day that, even if every remaining registered republican voted, it won't be enough to change the tide.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That same story comes out every 4 years, and it still ends up being a nail biter on Election Day.
Dems always get more early voters, Republican's come out on Election Day. And this year, as that article indicated, the Republicans cut the usual Democratic early voting advantage in Florida in half.
This race is NOT going to be "over" before Election Day.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote:It looks like the Russians are altering the material they are getting by hacking the Clinton campaign servers and are feeding it to Trump.

From a Newsweek article by Kurt Eichenwald:
http://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-putin- ... nik-508635

This is not funny. It is terrifying. The Russians engage in a sloppy disinformation effort and, before the day is out, the Republican nominee for president is standing on a stage reciting the manufactured story as truth. How did this happen? Who in the Trump campaign was feeding him falsehoods straight from the Kremlin? (The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment).

Roger Stone, one of Trump's advisers, has apparently met several times with Julian Assange, so that may be part of the link.

This is Watergate with Russian hackers, Putin and Assange playing the roles of the Watergate burglars.
Holy shit! This is crime! Can espionage charges be brought, or charges of collusion with a foreign government to influence an internal election? This is seriously messed up.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If this were a serious story it would be all over the NYT, CNN, msnbc. Etc., etc. it's not like Newsweek knows something that nobody else knows about.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:If this were a serious story it would be all over the NYT, CNN, msnbc. Etc., etc. it's not like Newsweek knows something that nobody else knows about.
I had the same thought, but Newsweek is pretty legit, isn't it? But yes, let's see if there's any grounds to this story... But man, if it's true and can be proved.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Roger Stone, of course, is a complete joke.
Go on YouTube sometime and check out his conspiracy theories.
He's a nut job.
Most recently he said wiki leaks was going to "end" Hillary's campaign. <rolls eyes>
He thinks he is a "player" in his own mind.
He's just a nut.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:What's going on with the death penalty in Cali, CV?
There are two props tangled up. Prop 62 is "to repeal" death penalty. Prop 66 is "reform current death penalty appeal procedures". These two are incompatible and if both win, the one with highest votes will supersede the other...

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Prop ... lty_(2016)
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I hope 62 is winning?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:I hope 62 is winning?
Am afraid not. For 40%, Against 51% and 9% undecided
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Crazy. I thought California was an enlightened state.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Where is the governor standing on the death penalty these days, he's for it, isn't he?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Where is the governor standing on the death penalty these days, he's for it, isn't he?
I don't see the current governor's stand on repealing death penalty. But CA Dem Party is for repealing and CA Rep Party is against repealing it....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

AKR

Post by AKR »

Gov. Brown has led in a surprisingly centrist way. He and GOP candidate Neel Kashkari ran principled, issues oriented campaigns which would be so refreshing in todays sad, shameless environment. The only unsavory details revealed then were that

a) Brown saves water by showering infrequently (as in days go by)
b) Kashkari had moved out of his wife's home, and taken up with large Newfoundland

It would seem like both could use some aromatherapy candles.

Brown won the governors mansion, Neel took the Federal Reserve post.

I am surprised to say that the citizenry is better off with both in some form of public service/leadership.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Arv, what do you think about Neel's role in the TARP and bailout having worked for Goldman before overseeing TARP? I don't know enough about whether he did favors to his IB buddies, but that sort of thing comes on and off once in a while...But I think he is for breakup of big banks or separating bank's lines of businesses...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

AKR wrote:
DavidG wrote:It looks like the Russians are altering the material they are getting by hacking the Clinton campaign servers and are feeding it to Trump.

This is not funny. It is terrifying. The Russians engage in a sloppy disinformation effort and, before the day is out, the Republican nominee for president is standing on a stage reciting the manufactured story as truth. How did this happen? Who in the Trump campaign was feeding him falsehoods straight from the Kremlin? (The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment).

Roger Stone, one of Trump's advisers, has apparently met several times with Julian Assange, so that may be part of the link.

This is Watergate with Russian hackers, Putin and Assange playing the roles of the Watergate burglars.
Does the average American voter care about internal DNC emails? I'm highly engaged in politics and markets ... and I don't really care. Why would Joe Sixpack care?

Seems like an inside the Beltway tempest.

I told everyone 20 years ago he was a jackass.
Back in the 1970s stealing the opposition's private files and covering it up would have gotten Nixon impeached and convicted... if he hadn't resigned in the face of the inevitable. That an engaged and informed individual like you (let alone the average oblivious American) doesn't care is a very sad commentary on how far our political discourse has fallen.

As to Trump being a jackass, the parents of my first GF in college (also back in the '70s) were in real estate in NYC and based on personal dealings with him, had an extremely negative impression of the snotty, stupid, entitled young DJT. I've never had anything but disdain for Trump. Until he gained the Republican nomination and looked like he had a chance to win. Now I'm terrified of the possibility.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Watching The Donald on O'Reilly right now. Usually he does well on O'Reilly. Tonight he is losing it. It's clear the stress is overwhelming him.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

He looked insane (to me) on stage this afternoon.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Chateau Vin wrote:Arv, what do you think about Neel's role in the TARP and bailout having worked for Goldman before overseeing TARP? I don't know enough about whether he did favors to his IB buddies, but that sort of thing comes on and off once in a while...But I think he is for breakup of big banks or separating bank's lines of businesses...
When he was at GS he was a tech ibanker. Apparently he cold called Hank Paulson and asked to work on Treasury's recovery efforts. (I have Hank's book, but have only skimmed it). So even though he was an engineer, and ibanker, he seems to have had a policy bone in his body...and as ugly as TARP/TALF/HAMP and all the rest of the alphabet soup programs out of some New Deal for the New Century, the US ended up with a somewhat better outcome that what could have happened (see Greece, Argentina, or other nations that f'd up their financial systems). Its not perfect. However Kashkari ended up getting the experience and influence from that adventure that someone would normally spend 3 decades working toward. (Like Sheila Bair)

And now after all that, I don't think he's particularly any "friend" to the banking industry. However, unlike Sen. Warren, he's well aware that big, sophisticated multi line banks are there not because God ordained it to be so, but because their big clients have sophisticated needs, and need to buy interrelated services/products that work properly together. America has big global corporations ... and has a banking system to match. As well as an underlying economy and tax base that can support them.

Where other nations have gotten into a jam (Iceland, Ireland, Cyprus, and more) is having crazy huge banking systems, with underlying small economies. There is no way they can (or could) support those when the insanity was eventually realized. This is one reason why the Swiss clamped down the hardest and first on their banks.

In any case, beating up on the banks is fighting the last war. No one there is getting rich off by being a parasite on the real economy anymore -- look at banks stocks, employee compensation, bank credit spreads etc. When debt super cycles end (admittedly there are very few examples to look at) it sucks for the financial industry.

The rage that the Trumpkins and Feel the Bern! crowd feel is real, and just as in the 1920's Weimar, their street battles aren't over yet. I don't the national mood, or people who feel we are on the wrong track (whatever that Gallup poll is), changes whether Jackass or Crooked is renting 1600 Pennsylvania for the next few years.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Barring a coughing fit, the election is over. This thread, however, is not. In January (if not November 9th) we can start the "When President Cruz Takes Office" thread.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

It's now all about the House and who runs it in January 2017.

The next thread should be called "When Prez Warren takes office"...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Just remembered thinking about the housing crisis. Have recently read 'house of debt' about the housing crisis we had. The book is different in that it relies on the data to build the reasoning rather than anything else. It was thought provoking and recommend to anyone...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Blanquito wrote:

Holy shit! This is crime! Can espionage charges be brought, or charges of collusion with a foreign government to influence an internal election? This is seriously messed up.
There are probably a few reasons this isn't going anywhere.

First, there's no evidence that Trump directed this. Even if he did, and that's not clear, short of a hack on the Trump campaign or a defector, there won't be any evidence. Though his convention call for the Russians to hack HRC's Sec of State emails may have given them the idea.

Second, there's no evidence that the Russians fed this directly to Trump. His staff could have been monitoring the same site that Eichenwald was, so he could have gotten the info there.

Third, Trump can't even be blamed for fabricating the distortion. The Russians did that. Trump just repeated it.

Oh well, hopefully he's done enough other damage to sink his ship.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Trump is a caged animal right now.
This NYT story breaking tonight will set him off.
Watch for a round of tweets tonight.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Yeah, it looks like the Dems' best chances for big gains all around are if Trump refuses to quit the race. Funny how he was such an existential threat to our whole way of life and now the biggest wildcard would be the "likeable/palatable/normal" Mike Pence ascends to the top of the ticket with some mainstreamer as his VP. The IBB would skyrocket if that happens this week.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Now the debates are rigged.
God, I'll be glad when this piece of garbage is gone from the scene.
And hopefully Newt, Rudy, and Christie will get flushed down the toilet with him and fade off forever.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Watching Hannity right now,
His head is exploding.
A good sign for the Dems.
I want the Dems to win just to see this douche bag's face on election night.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just watched a whole hour of Sean Hannity.
Two things:
1. It is clear the Democrats are winning big.
2. I need a shower.

That is one angry dude.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

So now there's a reporter from People magazine who says Trump assaulted her during a break in an interview? Has that one been out there? http://people.com/politics/donald-trump ... _peoplemag
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Have not seen that one yet.
But it's just another bag job by the mainstream media.
That's all they have left.
The mainstream media… Yada yada. Mainstream media….
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sex sells better than politics. The media has no more need for a close race to keep people interested. Fresh allegations of sexual peckerdilloes are much more effective.

That said, I'm happy to see the tide turned against Trump. But still no reason for complacence. He's still an HRC slip or fall away from the White House.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

WP and NYT reported on numerous Trump groping incidents while wikileaks continues to leak DNC emails-nothing of interest from the RNC comrade Putin?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Team Trump says they are going to turn Bill Clinton into "Bill Cosby."
Oh boy.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I don't understand why they (Team Trump) think that is

a) effective in getting them to their electoral goals
b) a long term wise strategy, if they end up losing, as its almost certain

Making a bigger enemy out of a sitting president, with some proven ability of hitting below the belt, just seems stupid.

Maybe its just a way for them to drive more web traffic / viewers to their goal of a new TV network / website.

That set of motivations explains everything far better than anything like, you know, actually wanting the Presidency.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well, Arv, the key is in the two incorrect assumptions in your first sentence:

1) That there is a team. There is no "Team Trump." Trump's an autocratic, dictatorial sort.
2) That they think. Not much of that going on at the top. Trump loves his own strategy and goes all in.

So that's a bit exaggerated. But Trump is narcissistic enough to believe that even greater swaths of the population love him and anything he says than already (embarrassingly!) do. Hitting back twice as hard as he's been hit has worked for him all his life, so he likely sees no reason to change tactics. And he certainly doesn't seem the type to be interested in taking anyone else's advice. He believes he already knows more than anyone about anything. I'm still waiting to hear about his secret plan for ISIS. Maybe he can turn them into Bill Cosby. Or toads. Maybe Michele Bachmann can help with that. She's a witch, isn't she?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Heh.

Newt Gingrich had a great line yesterday paraphrased - "Trump's enemy's name is Hilary Clinton. Her name is not Paul Ryan."
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

When did it become it ok to treat one's political adversary as the enemy in this country?

Maybe Trump should run for president of the Philippines. I hear they need a better dictator.

According to my father, Newt Gingrich is the reason he left the Republican party in the '90s.