President Trump

JimHow

Re: President Trump

Post by JimHow »

I ran for U.S. House in 1994. That was the year of the "Contract with Ametica" and the "Gingrich Revolution." Prior to that time, I got along very well with a Repiblican governor, Republican members of Congress, even a Republican president. Then 1994 came along. We were focused on the Democratic primary. As primary Election Day came closer we started to take a look at the four guys who were running for the Republican nomination. Our paths didn't cross until about a week before the election, when we had a joint forum involving all seven Democratic candidates and all four Republican candidates. It was the first time we met the Repiblicans in person. We were way up at the University of Maine in the Machias branch, up near the Canadian border. It was surreal. These guys were crazy! They were the earliest of the Tea Baggers, angry, pro gun, anti abortion, extremely nasty. It caught me completely by surprise. I had been in the rough and tumble of politics for 6 years at that point but I had NEVER seen anything like these cats. I really think 1994 was really a turning point, when Newt was at the height of his powers.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Today you would never guess my dad had ever been a republican.
Now he records shows like Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell, Morning Joe.
His wife (of 5 years or so) is a bleeding heart liberal who came here from England when she was a young adult.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Don't know if you guys just saw the big man's speech just now.
This is going to be such an awful final 26 days.
This was an unbelievable speech.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

And Michelle ripping him a new one.
Omg what drama!
This is incredible stuff!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This is really some dangerous stuff.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jesus, even Fox is crucifying him.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Ralph Nader could write about about Trump and call it "Unfit At Any Speed."
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Just came across this on Twitter. Rather powerful "juxtaposition" of activities and comments.

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/sta ... +272699392
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Even O'Reilly seemed defeated tonight.
And Megyn Kelly is killing him. I love this woman!
Can't wait to see Sean.
I still wonder if this race is over but, man, it is glorious to watch this complete and utter disaster.
An amazing day in American politics.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Where's the bottom for the Donald? When he's run out of his latest batch of excuses, paranoia, and conspiracy theories (collusion, rigged elections, media conspiracies, frame jobs, body doubles, good vs evil), will he claim that He-llary is really a man, that the FBI is actually run by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, that he was temporarily controlled by aliens, that a zombie apocalyse will be unleashed if Hillary wins? Seriously, what is left?!?!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:And Michelle ripping him a new one.
Omg what drama!
This is incredible stuff!
That was an awesome speech!

Trump is completely off the rails now. Will he throw a counterpunch in MIchelle's direction?
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think he's preparing his jihadis to wage a long guerrilla war by telling them the election is being stolen by voter fraud in key blue fortress cities.

It's only going to get worse. I don't think November is the end of anything.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

AKR wrote:I think he's preparing his jihadis to wage a long guerrilla war by telling them the election is being stolen by voter fraud in key blue fortress cities.

It's only going to get worse. I don't think November is the end of anything.
that's what really scares me!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I personally don't think this race is over.
This clown has had as distrastrous a month as you can imagine.
And yet, he's even in Ohio, 3 points down in NH, FL, NC, etc., etc.
He was up by a point in WI and PA before the tape came out.
What happens if he gets back on message and strings together a solid ten days?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:...
What happens if he gets back on message and strings together a solid ten days?
What message? Everything he says is based on hatred - ie. projections of self loathing.
I don't think the Clinton Tag Team will give him a moment to organize his thoughts again, between now and Nov. 8th.

Besides, I'd like to believe that there aren't enough self-loathing Americans to get him elected.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I think this editorial in the Miami Herald pretty well sums up why Hillary is the right choice.
The Miami Herald Recommends Hillary Clinton for President
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Trump definitely has a floor of support even now in the mid to high 30s nationally. But if it's clear on Election Day that he's going to lose, does a significant % of these deporables not bother to show up at the polls? That could lead to a Clinton win of 8-12%. Failing that, she's on track to win somewhere between 4-8% points. I hope she really goes after him at the debate, but I bet she plays it safe.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

The Trump campaign says it has evidence to dispute all the sexual harassment claims and will release it at the best time.
Does this mean the Donald will release medical records proving that he was castrated in his youth, and all his kids have someone else's genes?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

One poll that I find interesting is the one that has Trump up by only 4 in TX.

Another woman coming forward. At some point it is going to become white noise. Heck, there may even be a backlash in his favor.

Trump's message of anger taps into a large part of the population. Trade imbalance, legitimate concerns about immigration (take out the hate elements), disparity between rich and poor, lost rust belt jobs… Combined with distrust and dislike for a very unappealing candidate on the other side.

Making up 2 points in NC, or 3 points in NH, or 3 points in FL, etc., is by NO means impossible.

Don't forget the swing for Brexit in the final week...
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Jim, I believe the Big Man is coming to your state and NH tomorrow. Having breathlessly described so many of his appearances from TV, do you plan on attending this one to see if you can get all "chicken skin" feeling? If he would come to Hawaii I would probably go because a phenomenon like this doesn't come around every four years. According to Trump it is, in fact, "now or never" to save this country. In any event I would really appreciate some live iPhone action. We'll never see the likes of him again, I think. The next iteration will be a lot more insidious, like this guy:

or worse, this guy:

Amazing how much alike they look. It's almost as if he went for a Dorian Gray "light" deal.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I would love to get up to Bangor and get into some shoving matches with his deplorables, Hound, but I think I'll pass.
I'm sure our beloved Governor LePage will be introducing him, that alone of course will be worth the price of admission.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I think DT is a one-off.
Can you think of anyone else with a profile that combines extreme narcissistic personality disorder with a larger-than-life public persona, deep seated anger - unresolved from childhood, and an ability to manipulate the media like he's driving a car?
AKR

Post by AKR »

JimHow wrote:One poll that I find interesting is the one that has Trump up by only 4 in TX.

Another woman coming forward. At some point it is going to become white noise. Heck, there may even be a backlash in his favor.

Trump's message of anger taps into a large part of the population. Trade imbalance, legitimate concerns about immigration (take out the hate elements), disparity between rich and poor, lost rust belt jobs… Combined with distrust and dislike for a very unappealing candidate on the other side.

Making up 2 points in NC, or 3 points in NH, or 3 points in FL, etc., is by NO means impossible.

Don't forget the swing for Brexit in the final week...
He's at risk in Utah too. The reddest of the red.

There is some independent guy I think polling 25's there.

If the Dems sweep everything, maybe Pelosi will launch a UK style NHS system next year.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Any chance he was sexually abused as a child?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That's so funny you say that, Harry, I said the same thing to a couple of my lawyer friends.
I deal with a LOT of narcissistic personality disorder in my criminal defense practice and back in the day when I used to represent parents in child protection cases.
Almost universally, there was a history of abuse dating back to childhood.
To me, he is the poster child of narcissistic personality disorder.
He lacks complete judgment of his place in the world.
Projection of false image.
Grandiose personality.
Getting pleasure when other people are suffering.
Difficulty expressing love and emotion.
Exaggeration of achievements.
Talking down to others.
Always blaming others.
Obsessed with success and power.

He suffered some sort of trauma as a child, whether sexual or physical abuse.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Interesting interview with Rasmussen tonight on Fox, as well as the guy heading the Monmouth poll.
Rasmussen says it looks almost impossible for Trump.
He also pointed out that the Rasmussen poll is no longer "his" poll, he sold it 3 years ago.
He disagrees with the polls in his own name (which show Trump up by 2 nationally).

The Monmouth guy was even more emphatic that this race is over.
He says the overnight polls in Indiana yesterday had Hillary even. Which, of course, would be devastating for the Trump Man.

Man, was that tape a KILLER for the big guy!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Jim, I'm disappointed. We have 25 days left (or something like that) and space to fill. I have pretty much disagreed with your assessment of Trump's chances and you have bested me at every turn. I never thought he would be the Republican nominee. But I'm warning you and everyone that there remains a wildcard that no one can do anything about which can turn this election on a dime. No it is not an indictment or any of those "bombshells" the alt right has been prophesying for 18 months. It is, simply put, a coughing fit. Just like H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds," a tiny microbe, a pneumonia causing bacteria or virus, which we know Hillary is susceptible to, could still swing this race. If she has a coughing fit in Trump-Clinton III, or any similar public appearance (which we know she limits her public appearances for some reason) the election will be in play.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hey, it's Friday night and she has no public appearances scheduled before the debate on Wednesday night… in the final weeks of a campaign for US President.
I mean, who feints 4 times in two years?

Go back to June 2015, when The Donald first descended on that escalator at Trump Tower.
When Jeb and Marco and Scott Walker and Chris Christie and this huge all star back bench of Republicans were gearing up.
If I had told you then that:
Trump would pick off 17 Republican opponents, methodically, one after another.
That he would be nominated as the Republican nominee.
That he would hold these full house rallies, one after another, across the country.
That he would dominate the American psyche for 18 months, and spread fear across the globe.
That, 3 weeks before the election, he would be in the margin of error in FL, NC, OH, competitive in PA and WI, etc….
You'd have said, back then, that I was nuts…. I mean, this guy, back then, was on the level of Sarah Palin.
But here we are….

Listening to Sean Hannity now. This guy is relentless. He is a psychopath.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

I did say you were nuts, not in so many words of course because although you are the "Benevolent" Dictator, you are still the dictator. I mean I can see you in a Putinesque-Alex Jonesesque, barechested, bareback on a stallion with a Methuselah of 1989 Lynch-Bages in your armsesque pose. So, you know ... but I thought this article was not without some truthful points and some entertaining turns of phrase:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/fe ... mp-w444943

And when I talk about attending one of these, well, as I said it's an opportunity to see something we may not see again.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:...it's an opportunity to see something we may not see again.
Good lord, let's hope you're right.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Maybe, Patrick.
Or maybe we should count our blessings that Trump ran and won the nomination, that the GOP has been unable to get its act together. Otherwise, we might have been stuck with President Rubio and a U.S. Supreme Court that would torment us for the next 30 years.
As painful as this has been, we may have lucked out that the Republicans picked someone so fundamentally flawed.
A Kasich or Bush or Rubio might have beaten Hillary.
Three weeks to go....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Taibbi: "We wait, miserably, for the dong shot."
LOL
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Clinton lead narrowed to 3 points in NH today.
Down to 2 points in NV.
She's down by 2 in Rasmussen, a poll in which she was up by 6 just four days ago.
Clinton, incredibly, is off the campaign trail for five whole critical days between now and the debate on Wednesday night.
She's clearly more ill than she is letting on.
If Trump has a good debate and a good week in general, this race will be back to a dead heat with two weeks to go.
This is feeling so Brexit.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Finished that Rolling Stone article, Hound, that's some Taibbi at his best.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

I suppose Trump will have a chance until polling day. Yes, it is difficult to vote for this guy....but vote for a woman? So Unamerican...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:Taibbi: "We wait, miserably, for the dong shot."
LOL
I read that article late last night. I haven't laughed that much in an age.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Even Stanford U. has now officially denounced him.

Dr. Rice declared him PNG a few days ago.

I always admired her first name - Condoleeza - its among the most beautiful names I can think of.

Italian musical term con dolcezza meaning "with sweetness"

======

When this hateful season is over, the ideologically pure conservatives must go forth and destroy all the Trumpian heretics. He hires union labor, perpetuates the Ponzi entitlement schemes, respects no Almighty, has insufficient devotion to the RKBA (see his books, despite his fraudulent remonstrances now), infringes the free movement of goods, and so forth. The litany of his political villainies knows no ends. There is nothing conservative about him. I hope Paul Ryan is sharpening his knives, waiting for Reality Wednesday, to begin the purge.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Skimming through his Bangor speech. Seems very low energy, both him and the crowd, but I have nothing to compare it to. He's spending a lot of time in Willie Horton mode. Yeah, very low energy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Watching Rudy warming up the crowd, he's repeatedly referring to her as a "criminal."