President Trump

AKR

Re: President Trump

Post by AKR »

I'm not that concerned about whether society has access to low priced crab cakes. or strawberries.

Let's have the price reflect the true economic cost of the inputs involved.

We now have self driving tractors and grape harvesters, which can easily make 10 passes through vineyard blocks, even at night.

If it makes sense, technology can be used to replace labor. Why not grow strawberries hydroponically?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AKR wrote: If it makes sense, technology can be used to replace labor.
So you would be in favor of the government paying people instead of them working for a living?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If you haven't caught any of Trump's speech in Montana last night, I suggest you go on YouTube.

It contains too many gems to repeat here, including this beauty comparing himself to Elton John:

“I have broken more Elton John records. He seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No, we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look, I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really, we do it without, like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical – the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth, right? The brain. More important than the mouth is the brain. The brain is much more important.”
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We have an insane person in the office of the U.S. presidency.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Yeah, but
He's making America Great Again.
:shock:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

They had quite the "lock her up" chant going last night in Montana.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

All the signs of that "mental state" were there before the election. However, the collective "emotional intelligence quotient" of our general population made millions unable, or unwilling, to see it for what it really was. Having said that, I actually do think he has deteriorated since the election. Some of what I see and hear now is very concerning. If he were just a person on the street, I'd be concerned for him personally. But since he is the President of our country, my concern is a bit different.
AKR

Post by AKR »

An absolutely tremendous amount of the govt budget now is already going to paying people.

Whether soldiers getting a direct paycheck from DOD. or a recipient of a govt transfer program like farmers getting tobacco subsidy programs.

There are also plenty of people being paid indirectly like a physician providing services to a Medicare beneficiary.

Humans are adaptable and will overcome.

Technology will make some jobs obsolete, and at the same time, create many more.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Was just rereading the DJT quote... Ah yes... We are fucked.

“I have broken more Elton John records. He seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No, we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look, I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really, we do it without, like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical – the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth, right? The brain. More important than the mouth is the brain. The brain is much more important.”

DJT, July 2018
AKR

Post by AKR »

It turns out that the office has turned into a Sword of Damocles.

I only hope Speaker Ryan is still willing to serve.

There was some Netflix series where the Speaker became POTUS through odd circumstances.

This reminds me of that.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice article Professor. From the linked article, this is what Madeline Albright had to say about calling Trump a Fascist:
She agrees that we ought to be careful not to casually throw around the F-word lest we drain the potency from what should be a powerful term. “I’m not calling Trump a fascist,” she says. Yet she seems to be doing all but that when she puts him in the same company as historical fascists in a book that seeks to sound “an alarm bell” about a fascist revival.
Albright certainly has way more impressive credentials than I do, but I still think it's appropriate to call Trump a fascist. If not him, if not now, when?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

This president is enabling all sorts of backwards thinking.
I just read a NYT article about the administration strong-arming other countries to abandon support for breast feeding over formula.
It absolutely defies credibility.
Fortunately the Russian delegation to the conference made sure the UN/WHO conference came to a successful conclusion.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Johnny Depp swears by breast milk (and Calon Segur)

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I mean't that that 1988 VCC was NOT better than the '89 Lynch....
I think if you just insert that everything should be cleared up.
i thought it was obvious what I was saying, but in case there is any confusion....
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The Cold War is over. Poutine and Russia won.

Trump is a mix of Péby Faugères and Croizet-Bages : too much fake, trying to be great but will never make it.

He still think that the USA can do anything they wish, wishing to become the first President to turn a great democracy into a top of the World dictatorship, handling with the other dictators and having fun! He doesn't need these nerds from Canada, UK, France, Germany, Japan,...

I guess that if he is re-elected for another mandate, I will completely lose faith into the USA, being controlled by USDA prime bovine people.

Please, wake me up someone, I'm tired of that nightmare.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

BREAKING NEWS

Mueller has evidence Clinton met with Russian operative during 2016 campaign. Leaked photograph proves allegation.
7B24031D-C821-4977-9FC1-2B6D736332E0.jpeg
7B24031D-C821-4977-9FC1-2B6D736332E0.jpeg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
AKR

Post by AKR »

Another cruel betrayal - POTUS discovered The First Lady watching CNN on Air Force One.

Additionally she can conspire with prior wives to find out more ways to annoy him.
jal

Post by jal »

Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha great piece. I agree with every prediction in it.
jal

Post by jal »

Me too, the future is terrifying
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

What cruel comfort to wear the crown, while your beloved watches CNN from a separate hotel room.

I'm sure he regrets this whole misadventure.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I know Timmy disagrees with me and sees Pence as the lesser of two evils to Trump, but I disagree and agree with this article in the NYT. I'd rather have Trump in there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/28/opin ... eft-region
tim

Post by tim »

Different kinds of evil. I find Trump far more dangerous on the world stage. Pence is more dangerous to domestic civil liberties. Given your profession, I can see how you see him as more dangerous.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The second of a couple of fun articles on the 2020 election:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/29/opin ... eft-region
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Watching Chris Wallace's Sunday program on Fox.
You know, I've always thought he's a pretty balanced reporter.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:Watching Chris Wallace's Sunday program on Fox.
You know, I've always thought he's a pretty balanced reporter.
Only in comparison to the rest of the propagandists on Fox.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

At least Chris Wallace and Shep Smith are bona fide journalists, but that's still not enough to balance out Hannity and Co.
They provide just enough credibility that Fox can continue attaching the word "News" to the company name.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Did you hear Trump's "enemies of the people" comment?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ng-history

OK, comparisons with our current Great Leader and Nazi Germany are mostly greatly exaggerated, but not comments like this.

When are the book burnings planned?

Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lock him up.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

God, I think they may actually impeach the S.O.B. now!

AR
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Worst thing that could happen to us, as we would be left with the far worse option of Mike Pence.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Since he has upset all the norms of our democratic system, I think Mueller should do the same and hand down a federal indictment for crimes against the United States that names his entire campaign team including #2.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Blow jobs in the Oval Office absolutely pale in comparison to the misdeeds of the present Chief Executive.
Let's turf him out and restore the country's dignity and put us back on course!!!

AR
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I disagree, Alex.
I think we need to lance the boil.
I think we need to hit rock bottom.
With Mike Pence there will be the illusion of moving back in the direction of normalcy, when in fact we will bring even more religiosity and bigotry to the White House. He'll just do it in a quieter, less threatening style.
At least with Trump the public knows what it has on its hands.
Pence is worse than Trump and yet he conveys the image of the nice soft-speaking grandfatherly type.
AKR

Post by AKR »

It's like a Shakespearean drama.

The lonely King Lear, his formerly loyal vassals falling by the way side, one by one.

Even the most fawning satrap, Omarosa, delivered a confessional where she reveals to the world his narcissism, mendacity, and erratic behavior.

I just hope even if #2 gets dragged into this mess that Paul Ryan will still be willing to serve his nation.

I thought the Speaker becomes POTUS if the top two are not able.

That would be ok.

Perhaps then we could reform the collapsing entitlement Ponzi scheme.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AKR wrote: ...
I just hope even if #2 gets dragged into this mess that Paul Ryan will still be willing to serve his nation.
I doubt it would happen before the midterm election, which means we don't have to worry about Paul Ryan rising to the occasion.
It could be one of the two republicans scrapping for the speakership (a scary thought), or Nancy Pelosi, or in a strange twist of fate, Rep. James Kliburn could become the second black president of the USA.