President Trump

Racer Chris

Re: President Trump

Post by Racer Chris »

Putin's Puppet
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote:Some pundits say that Trump gains an advantage by marginalizing opponents by giving them nicknames (Lying Ted, Crooked Hillary, Pocahontas,..). It is strange that none of the 350 democrats who are running for president have done that to him. Maybe they cannot come up with an appropriate epithet. Traitorous Trump? Fat MacDonald?
He might not be able to remember their actual names. The whole 'wall' concept was initially supposed to be a buzzword to keep him on topic, on message about immigration. (Immigration is the new long tent pole that unifies all segments of the GOP nowadays) Of course, he convinced himself that it meant a literal Chinese Wall like what kept the Mongol Horde out, rather than just being a metaphor for a policy.

So the whole nicknames schtick - beyond being childish - could be a function of his debilitated mental state.

This is what happens to teetotalers as they age. If he'd kept up a proper regimen of red wine, the weak brain cells would have been killed, leaving only the strong, hardy ones by now. Even Burgundy could have helped.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Dickhead Donald.
Guess that wouldn’t play on the evening news.

If he crowns himself Emperor, I’ll refer to him as His Assholiness.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

It's getting scary when Trump is the voice of reason with Iran. Bolton makes me nervous.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Thanks, David, "His Assholiness" is just what I was thinking.

Chris Bublitz
marcs

Post by marcs »

Racer Chris wrote:Putin's Puppet
The claim that Trump is controlled by Putin is sheer nonsense, a conspiracy theory of the worst sort.

Ironically, both the U.S. and the world would be better off if Putin was more influential than Bolton in this White House.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yeah, Bolton is scary.

Trump may not be Putin's "puppet." I don’t believe he conspired with Russia to coordinate their interference in the 2016 election, but he encouraged it and his top campaign lieutenants co-operated with it. Aside from the election interference, I suspect that Trump and his family have a lot of hidden financial dealings in Russia or with Russians that are significant conflicts, that may be illegal, and that subject him to outside influence.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Kamala Harris = Complete lightweight.
Mayor Pete = Very impressive so far.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

What about the Fake President?

Or the Phony Fake President?

Or Draftdodgin’ Donald Trump?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ronald Reagan was an icon of the Right. Here is his last speech, in the link below, was on immigration. Compare it to the attitude of the current incumbent of the White House.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomtugendhat ... 76518?s=12
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Good article here on CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/15/us/t ... index.html

It is amazing how unfazed Trump supporters are by all this.

God help us if Trump is re-elected.
WIth the chaos in the Democratic camp, this is far from unlikely.

Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, that was a new low, even for him.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

We aren’t the country I thought we were.

I was going to write "We aren’t the country we used to be" but I’ve been thinking lately we’ve always been this racist and xenophobic. It hasn’t been this overt for most of my adult life.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Historians might look back someday as 1960-2016 as an anomalously progressive period in our nation's otherwise racist, nativist history. What continues to baffle me is not that there are racists in the 21st century, but that there are card-carrying Republicans who fully support this president (it's basically all of them per opinion polls) and yet don't think they are racist, anti-democratic, anti-science, militaristic, autocratic, et cetera. Because supporting this President makes you essentially all of these.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I saw a Reno-billy pickup today flying a Trump flag. So proud, so sad.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Crowds chanting "send her back" at Trump rally tonight.
Boy, we really do need to defeat this guy, don't we.
The future of the country really is at stake.
Does anybody now question we are threatened with fascism?
Very scary times. 2020 will be epochal.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

When he refused to apologize for his racist tweets and stating that many people liked his comments, at that point he acknowledged his alignment with the extreme white nationalists and he's firmly banking on them to get him re-elected. There is no ambiguity to his position or defense honorable Republicans can hide behind. How honest, decent and truly patriotic members of the opposition party can continue to support this President and not stand up to him is an indictment of how we, as a nation, have totally lost our moral compass. I keep harkening back to Joseph Welch's statement during the McCarthy hearings, "Have you know decency?" Does any Republican have the balls to step up when it matters and call him out? I fear not. I grew up living next to Mitt Romney. My father and he were friends. While politically they were complete opposites there was mutual respect and healthy debate but now I fear even he has chosen to speak out only when he senses it is politically safe. We are at a critical point is our country's history that will be studied forever in our future, if there is one. We are in desperate need of patriotic statesmen not skilled politicians. Without the latter we are doomed.

Through studying history we are painfully aware of our nations's faults and shortcomings but have prided ourselves in having learned and evolved from our past to a more enightened people. We have assumed the moral authority to chastise other nations on basic human rights and democracy. But what moral authority America has accumulated over the last 100 years has been squandered in the last 2 years. If Trump survives his 1st term or, God forbid is re-elected, then we have dealt ourselves a blow I fear we will test out ability to recover from
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

In the 2016 election, white voters went 58% for Trump, 37% for Clinton.
Non white voters went 74% for Clinton, 21% Trump.
White men 63% for Trump, white women, 53% for Trump.
The only white group Clinton won was college educated white women of whom she only got 51%, meaning 49% of white women with a 4 year college degree voted for Trump!

White Americans can no longer pretend Trump (or the Republican Party in general) isn’t the party of racism, white supremacy, nostalgia for segregation, fondness for authoritarianism, prone to fascist tendencies.

If Trump wins again in 2020, white American is a racist American.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I'm sad to say it but I 100% agree.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

OK, maybe I shouldn't say this, but one of the reasons I love my BWE buddies is that the overwhelming majority are appalled at the words and actions of the Chief Executive of the US and worried about the direction he is taking the country.

Being united by a negative feeling is, of course, not necessarily very productive, but it does reflect the sort of concern for fellow Americans and how the US is viewed by the rest of the world that I very much appreciate.

Alex R.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

How can any thinking person find that Trump has the class and leadership qualities to inspire and unite the country?

Watch this video. Sadly reminiscent of the Nuremburg rallies.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/17/poli ... earch=true

we are well and truly living in the Age of Fake News.

Àlex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Given how deranged DJT is, and how little effort he put in to his campaign, its still incredibly pathetic that HRC managed to lose.

And it'll always be that she lost the election, rather than Trump winning it, no matter how he tries to spin it.

She blew a billion bucks on her campaign too, and all they got was this

AKR

Post by AKR »

And I have no love for our crazy orange guy, but unless we can get Dick Cheney back, or maybe Ted Cruz, I guess we're stuck with him (for those on the right side of the aisle)

Weirdly enough, I thought he was going to get smoked in 2016 -- and was totally wrong -- but I think he's got a fighting chance in 2020.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I met with my pre-campaign team tonight, the latest we’re trying to decide is whether to run for U.S. Senate as a Democrat or an Independent (or at all) against Susan Collins:

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/05/06/l ... s-in-2020/
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Maine Senator George Mitchell was my mentor when I was a young elected official.
His words resonate to this day.
We have been very lucky in Maine to have sober-minded elected leaders, one after another, over the decades.
If the country had followed our lead we would be in a better place. What is wrong with the rest of you folks out there?

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c3945588/ ... SYJdbCihyc
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote: If the country had followed our lead we would be in a better place. What is wrong with the rest of you folks out there?
Seems like we have been following your lead.
You folks elected a nut job for governor, and then the rest of us folks elected a nut job for president.
:(
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, that was a dark eight years.
Now he's saying he wants to come back.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim, if you run is there a risk that former clients will be thrust into the spotlight and retried in the media by the Rs dredging up stuff to make it look like you got bad guys off the hook?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think that just about anything would be expected David.
It would be extremely dirty. I personally could care less who attacks me but family considerations have to be taken into account.
Of course I’m going to be litigating the Alaska case in the year ahead.
The 2020 election season is going to be like nothing we’ve ever seen.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

As much as I’d like to see you run, it really bothers me to think about that happening to you, your family, friends. We all know elections get dirty, and are getting dirtier every cycle, but when it’s a friend it takes on more meaning. I hope you’re up to it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well, you only live once David.
Certainly, I have no doubt that I am up for it.
If I were the only consideration, I would do it in a heartbeat. I deal with very ugly things almost every day of the week, I truly could care less who attacks me, I've dealt with it on a local level, I'm sure it would be exponentially greater in a senate race, but that's just the way it goes. We live in an era where many are easily offended. I'm not easily offended.
The question is, how much pain do I want to inflict on my family.
Really, that's the ultimate question. 95% of my family members want me to run but my brother Tom thinks it's a bad idea.
Those who do want me to run i tell them, ha, be careful what you wish for.
The worst of the punishment would be over about a month-long period.
We have rank-choice voting in Maine, which means you need to be very careful before you attack another candidate.
On the other hand, it's not every day that an opportunity presents to make a run for the U.S. Senate.
We shall see. Really, I honestly don't think I need to decide until the end of the year.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I hope they don't attack BWE during the process!
brodway

Post by brodway »

Jim if you do decide to run and actually win the election, do you think you can arrange a BWE event at the White House?

DC BWE event will take on a whole different meaning :)
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think the Senator from the Great State of Maine should be able to swing a catered dinner in one of the caucus rooms. I wanna be in the room where it happens...
jal

Post by jal »

Here's an Op-Ed by Garry Kasparov I thought was interesting. Not adding much to what we don't know but still...

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny- ... story.html
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

So will Mueller today move the dial at all? The fact he agreed to show up was surely not inconsequentia?

Clearly Trump obstructed justice and therefore could be prosecuted after leaving office? Will he be pardoned by President Elizabeth Warren? Or President Kampala Harris? I think not...

What about all the other investigations going on in the Southern District of NY?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nothing to see here, Ian, Trump will be reelected.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I hope you are wrong Jim, because the survival of the planet and Homo Sapiens as a species depends upon him not being re-elected. Adding up all the arguments I am willing to take the other side of that and think the Dems will win the EC narrowly...but today the vicious vindictiveness of the GOP was on display, and I suppose few in middle America were tuned in from their reality tv shows.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Orange Head will make mince meat out of each and every one of the Democrats.
Maaaaybe Mayor Pete could beat him.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Russiagate is/was a ridiculous conspiracy theory and the Mueller focus by Democrats is stupid. His appearance today did nothing.

But that doesn't mean Trump will win in 2020. Dude is unpopular and deservedly so, he's gross. With this economy he should be polling ten points higher. He is extremely vulnerable in 2020. He's a division machine, every time he opens his mouth he drives away everyone but his base. He barely won in 2016 and is less popular today.