President Trump

JimHow

Re: President Trump

Post by JimHow »

So much for SCOTUS saving us. Good grief.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Now it is going to depend on the circuit courts, as I see it, if SCOTUS is 4-4.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We are on a cliff's edge.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

After this SCOTUS calamity, I’m officially adopting DavidG’s position and assuming from here forward that Trump will be President on Inauguration Day 2021. If I steel myself now to that eventuality and don’t get my hopes up, I might survive the outcome. If I hope and conclude that Biden will win and he loses, that would be too much to bear.

So ignore the polls, don’t listen to that Nate Silver loser, none of that matters — at its core, America is a racist plutocracy that Donald Trump ultimately owns, and he is going to eat Biden for lunch when it is all said in done. It’s over.

Wake me on January 20, 2021 and we can celebrate the end of the world as we know it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Remember this name: Lamar Alexander.

Also: Mark Kelley, I think, takes office earlier?

This is unbelievable drama. It's like a bad novel.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

After this SCOTUS calamity, I’m officially adopting DavidG’s position and assuming from here forward that Trump will be President on Inauguration Day 2021.
I missed that, Blanquito. I mean, I told you that a year ago! After I said it 5 years ago.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My gut tells me that this is going to help Orange somehow, give him a bump in the polls.
Jesus, 4 years ago Comey, now this. We have been truly cursed by events since 9/11.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

You were right, Jim. All along. Screw logic, data, priors, fundamentals... Trump is getting re-elected. It will be close. Close and fraught enough to cause great angst and heart ache in moderate and liberal circles across the globe. But Jim and I wouldn’t care, because we knew this was inevitable all along.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:My gut tells me that this is going to help Orange somehow, give him a bump in the polls.
Jesus, 4 years ago Comey, now this. We have been truly cursed by events since 9/11.
I think most of the world’s current geopolitical woes can be traced back to 9/11 to varying degrees.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Elections have consequences.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Prediction:

By midnight, 1am, on election night, it will be clear that Joe Biden has won.
90% of the vote will have been counted in states like Florida, Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan, and they will be in joe's column.
North Carolina will still be up in the air.
There will be some shenanigans going on in PA but there will be a relentless Chinese torture drip in favor of the Dems as the votes get counted in Pittsburg and Philly.
The hours of 7pm-3am eastern time that night will be some of the most significant in American history.
Don't get intoxicated by the very first results. The reality will start to set in by about 11pm EST.
I can't vouch for Georgia, which is like the worst state, even worse than Florida.
But I predict the mail in controversy is generally going to be a non-issue. the votes will be counted, and it's not going to take 2 weeks.
It will be clear by midnight. People are voting for president TODAY, on Sept 18th.
If you can't take the initiative to get your ballot in early in this time of pandemic, and leave it up t the USPS and the politicians, well, then, you are too stupid to have your vote counted.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We are so fucked.
jal

Post by jal »

I know posting this on this site is mainly preaching to the converted, but I think it's important to share especially with center and right of center voters.

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/y ... bPNvQG_s9U
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks, Jacques, interesting read.
First Dubya as Hal, now Orange as Richard III.
I ran into my old eighth grade teacher Roland Hachey, this morning, he is a legend in Maine Democratic Party politics here in Maine, going back to the Kennedys.
He is the longtime Electoral College elector representing the second congressional district here in Maine....
I'm eating at a diner here in Auburn, Maine, across from another diner where Don Jr. spoke this week to a rabid Republican crowd out in the parking lot.
Roland says he's worried....
Attachments
IMG_4489.jpg
IMG_4489.jpg (167.69 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
AKR

Post by AKR »

jal wrote:I know posting this on this site is mainly preaching to the converted, but I think it's important to share especially with center and right of center voters.

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/y ... bPNvQG_s9U
I think that was a bit silly article. Normally if one wants to demonize the enemy they compare them to Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot etc. !

The average person has no idea who Richard III was.

It's ascribing all the unhappiness of our times onto one person, and that the body politic will be magically cured once the Cursed Orange is spat out. I don't think that is so. Trump was the symptom of the illness, not the cause.

Societies go through these upheaveals every 100 years, and we're in the early throes of it now. Whether Trump is here or not in a few months, it's going to keep on getting worse.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, Orange Head is the symptom, the end result, of decades and centuries of a society consumed by racism and corporate greed. He is the big, shiny, orange face in the American mirror.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Some help for getting through the debate:

https://www.porchdrinking.com/articles/ ... king-game/
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've got pre-debate jitters!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tom, I asked Lucie if the half bottle left over from last night was enough. She replied that I need to buy more wine because our cellars will be empty by midnight.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It's nights like this when I may need to experiment with whisky.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Anecdotal, but....
We have a court officer who has been a big, vocal Trump guy.
He's a good guy, I really like him, but BIG Trump supporter. Loudly.
Big second amendment guy, etc.
Yesterday, he announced:
He's had enough of this ass-clown. He's voting Biden.
Just about all of the other Trumpsters I know aren't budging, but this was a guy I would have never thought would switch.
I'll take it!
A harbinger?

Sounds like some pretty good numbers coming out of PA the last 48 hours.

Come on, Joey, just be competent....
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I don't follow to much what's going out in the USA, but I guess Trump will be re-elected.

On what i base that statement?

For Mr Biden: People seem to make some fun about him because of his age and the kind of errors it is provoking in his day to day speeches. And he his a very kind person.

For Mr Trump: People seem to make some fun about him because of his dumb speeches and what he says that is 99 % completely false. And he is a very mean, selfish, cunning, hard person.

In today's World, the perception is that you need a leader that is mean, selfish, cunning, hard person, to protect yourself from the other country leaders that are exactly like him. Kind persons are the ones that could probably improve a country or the World, but unfortunately their image is too kind too.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lock him up.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have seen poverty-ridden mothers with children go to jail in Maine for two months for stealing toiletries from Walmart.

And this criminal is a hero to half the country.

Lock the mother fucker up.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Holy. Fuck.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very proud of Joe tonight.
Trump out of control.
His cult will probably think he did well.
But Joe kept his cool against this fascist, I don't see any huge movement in the polls following this debate, a good thing.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Honestly, this was a street fight and we learned nothing new. Joe was naïve in thinking otherwise. Joe was at his best when he lost his cool and just told Don to shut up. If he thought he was going to get a civilized debate he was foolish to think it. Luckily I recorded it and will go back to se the last minutes, I had to change the channel. The Trump camp will point to Joe's stammering and stuttering at various points of the debate. I think Chris Wallace did as best he could to maintain control but even Joe pointed out that Trump had no inclination to act "Presidential". The rest of the world must be horrified at what they saw, sad.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I think Trump lost a few more tonight. Even Joe called him a clown.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

All I needed was Joe to hold his own against this fool. He more than did that tonight.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I didn't watch too much of it because I can only take American politics in limited doses these days. But I thought Biden kicked his ass. He avoided the major problem against Trump, in that he didn't rise to the bait. He left Trump flailing, looking blustery and unpresidential.

Much better than Hillary did four years ago.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Trump was jaw-droppingly out of control.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote:Trump was jaw-droppingly out of control.
yes. I think counts on people spinning out of control in response to that and then he can smirk and counterpunch. But Biden basically stepped back and let him flail.

Also, the economic collapse this year means that Trump no longer has much to run on now that he is the incumbent.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:Trump was jaw-droppingly out of control.
So much. Even after 4+ years of Trump’s insanity, I was stunned at what a train wreck he was, especially in the first half hour. Biden faded towards the end, but given what he had to work with, he came out looking well I think.
agdoc

Post by agdoc »

What a sad day for America. Can’t believe that these are our choices. That said, I’ll be voting Democratic for presidency for the first time in my life (and I’m 57 yo)
We have to be better than this.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I wish I could say I am happy with your post agdoc.
That was truly a disgrace.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Today’s debate reinforces my belief that we have not yet reached the bottom...
tim

Post by tim »

It is good to see that some Republicans are able to understand just how horrible Trump is.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Unless Biden is clearly ahead or has outright won by late on election night, I foresee utter chaos and nefariousness ensuing that is likely to tear what’s left of our country apart.
Last edited by Blanquito on Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Racer Chris wrote:I think Trump lost a few more tonight. Even Joe called him a clown.
A low point by Biden.

Biden generally did well to stay out of the cesspool, it is the only way to “win” a debate against Trump. He is impossible to debate or moderate. He is a “strongman” along the lines of Mussolini, Franco, and dare I say it, Hitler. Hopefully his performance, support of white supremacists, and clearly making the case to challenge the election results, should scare anyone, but it’s the swing voters that matter. I’m sure Trump’s core base loved this.

Biden’s performance was not impressive, he often appeared weak and the laughing, smirking and always looking down was bad. His best points were when he looked at the camera and spoke directly to America.
jal

Post by jal »

I agree with agdoc, it's a disgrace for America that these two are our choices.
Biden will do, but boy he wasn't impressive, bordering on incoherent sometimes. Trump is a poor excuse for a human being let alone a president. It has to be Biden because the alternative is too horrific to contemplate.

A side note: I read a few weeks ago the Andrew Yang book - The War on Normal People. I was much more impressed by him than by any other politicians this year. I doubt he has the necessary leadership skills but his ideas and solutions, as opposed to the ones of the two old candidates of yesterday, are clear and innovative.
Best

Jacques