President Trump

JCNorthway

Re: President Trump

Post by JCNorthway »

That was priceless!
jal

Post by jal »

We were having lunch at friends outdoors and they opened a 2011 L'été Vautrain brut that was nice and a bit ripe and a great 1996 Guillemot Savigny les Serpentieres. Lots of screaming and honking in the streets.
Let's hope this nightmare is finally over. The circus surrounding this creep has driven the whole country to the edge.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JCNorthway wrote:That was priceless!
Big +1!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha I'm sure you saw Bill Maher's monologue, Jacques, he described Trump as a stalker, like that divorced father who comes and kills his family and wife on Christmas Eve.
He is indeed a creep.

Kamala nailed it tonight.
Joe was great, he has an endearing nerdiness and awkwardness to him.

Meantime, the mental deranged stalker stews at home, contemplating his next move.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Karl Rove praising the speech on Fox.

Orange Head's days are numbered.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Blanquito wrote:
JCNorthway wrote:That was priceless!
Big +1!
+2- Michael Rappaport captures the NY attitude perfectly
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I thought Kamala's speech was very good, and the tone was right. I thought Joe missed it completely. There was no "Thank You." But more troubling was the "shout at the top of your lungs" throughout. That was in no way calming, or inviting the other side to join you. I was hopeful for a different tone for his initial impression to the other side . . .
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like the Arizona numbers moved slightly, Patrick, I think Orange gained another 3,000 or so.
Do you know if he met the 59%-of-the-remaing-outstanding-vote mark that he needs to hit?
Do we know how many outstanding votes remain?
They're still saying that 97% of the vote is in, which I think was where we were at before this new number.
Arizona is going to be very close. It would be nice to bring that one in.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Everything I’m seeing on AZ says it will be close, like you say, and that Trump is very close to hitting the numbers he needs to reel Joe in. But Nate Cohn, whose twitter feed has been a fantastic resource and spot-on the vote count realities since election night, says he thinks Trump will fall just short of enough ballots left to pull it off.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah Nate has given some good post election analysis as the numbers have come in.
The superstar of this election has been Steve Kornacki from MSNBC, he has been nothing short of amazing.
Orange has been needing about 59-60 percent of the outstanding vote in AZ to overtake Orange, and he has been getting like 58%. Looks like Orange is on pace to come up just short in AZ, which would be nice because, without AZ, it becomes a completely ridiculous situation for Orange Head.

Orange will concede soon.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like Joe increased his lead by about 1,000 votes in the last batch, Patrick, he is now just shy of a 20,000 vote lead with 97% in.
Joe is going to win Arizona. This means Orange Head would need to nullify like 4 states in his lawsuit, including MI, PA, GA, and AZ.
This is pathetic and laughable. The conduct of the Republican Party is despicable.
Any attempt to compare them to the faults of the Democratic Party is a false equivalence of astronomical proportions.
They are not in the same universe. These lawsuits are birther, Qanon-level material.
jal

Post by jal »

The Republicans seem like hostages in the throes of a Stockholm Syndrome episode. The hostage takers being Trump, McConnell and maybe Graham as the junior perpetrator. Pathetic from the party members.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:Any attempt to compare them to the faults of the Democratic Party is a false equivalence of astronomical proportions.
They are not in the same universe. These lawsuits are birther, Qanon-level material.
You know where I stand on this (can I get an amen?)... Even after 4 years of Trump, I know lots of folks who still say, "A pox on both your houses!". I hope the current realities finally open their eyes.
Phil David

Post by Phil David »

JimHow wrote:Ha I'm sure you saw Bill Maher's monologue, Jacques, he described Trump as a stalker, like that divorced father who comes and kills his family and wife on Christmas Eve.
He is indeed a creep.

Kamala nailed it tonight.
Joe was great, he has an endearing nerdiness and awkwardness to him.

Meantime, the mental deranged stalker stews at home, contemplating his next move.
He has form as a stalker - 20 years' worth on the UK journalist Selina Scott.
johnz

Post by johnz »

My dear wine fellows -- Hold your enthusiasm I think. Mr Trump will not be leaving forever, and will likely run in 2024. Don't forget that there is no longer a Republican Party. Even now there is Trump. Who will beat him in the 2024 Primary? Who knows, yes. But who will beat in the 2024 General? Joe Biden? Kamala?

--Gary Rust
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

He'll be "the next Grover Cleveland" in his own mind in his red pajamas from Danbury, Connecticut.

C'mon Arizona....
gene m.

Post by gene m. »

Casy Jones (with apologies to Jerry Garcia, Workingman's Dead 1970)

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Don John Jr you better watch your speed
Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

This old engine makes it on time
Leaves Mira Lago 'bout a quarter to nine
Hits Covid Fest Junction at seventeen two
At a quarter to ten you know it's travelin' again

Trouble ahead, Lady in red
Take my advice you'd be better off dead
Barrman's sleeping, train hundred and two is
On the wrong track and headed for you

Drive your train, whoo
Trouble with you is the trouble with me
Got two good eyes but you still don't see
Come round the bend, you know it's the end
The Guillieman screams and the engine just gleams

Driving that train, high on cocaine
Don John Jr you better, watch your speed
Trouble ahead, you know, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

And you know that notion just cross my mind
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Nicely done, gene. I think of the campaign as more if a Talking Heads theme..."We're on a road to nowhere..."
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

What a show. President Trump thinks he's in the reality TV show Survivor. At the end, there will be a new voting by phone, to confirm it.

For my part, I would prefer Melania for President!

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Maybe he should audition for The Biggest Loser.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Did you read Susan Glasser's article in the today's on line New Yorker, David Glasser?
She asks whether this is a coup, or just another Trump con job.

I say it is an attempted coup. the Republicans are Lucy to the Democrat Charlie Browns. They are playing us. Again.
There will not be anything that happens that will cause them to deviate from Herr Trump's Big Lie.
Not the electoral college, not the SCOTUS.
This is a slow-moving coup d'etat.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes, I’ve read it and a number of other articles. LOL I’m no relation to Susan Glasser, though I do have a sister in law named Susan Glasser - different person.

I’ve long worried that Trump would find a way to illegally remain in power. But I’ve always thought it would be through some mechanism or combination of maneuvers to steal the election: voter suppression, legal challenges, state certification of results, choice of Electoral College electors. I never worried about a military coup other than for about a day after Esper's firing and his "God help us" comment.

While I agree with you that Trump is attempting a coup, he’s doing it in a way that he can claim that he wasn’t serious when it all falls apart. In the same way that he said so many of his prior outrageous statements were just jokes. I don’t doubt that he’d take it to its conclusion - Trump staying in power - if he could get away with it.

Do I think he can actually get away with it? I don’t think there’s a snowball's chance in hell that military leaders will support a violent takeover. And the decisive Electoral College win makes the election stealing scenario more remote than it seemed in prior months. Trump has a terrible track record in the courts and it’s apparent his legal team has nothing more to offer. Some of his attorneys are showing signs that they place self-preservation above lying to the courts.

There’s still the issue of the States certifying the results and the choice of the electors. I don’t think it’s a realistic path given the number of states he’d have to steal and the very low likelihood of party-chosen electors responding to a bribe or threat. I don’t for a minute doubt that he’d do it if he could, and I’m sure he’s explored it. My anxiety is less than it was a week ago, but it’ll be better yet once the votes are certified, the electors chosen, and the Electoral College meets.

As to the mewling, puking sycophants in the Republican Party who don’t have the guts to stand up to Trump even at this late stage and publicly acknowledge Biden's win? Even I am surprised at the depth of their cowardice and lack of leadership. They are truly incapable of leadership and unworthy of their positions. We’re stuck with them, I’m afraid, because there are a lot of people in the US that back them, and too many Ds' campaign efforts have looked like a Keystone cops movie.

More of the Trump enablers in his administration need to face legal consequences for the laws they’ve broken.

Trump himself needs to be brought to justice. Prison would be good. I know you’ve said this would be too disruptive. Hell, what we’ve experienced the last 10 months was too disruptive. It needs to be clear to the next jackwad with Trumpian ambitions that there are consequences. Some say that might make it easier for the Republican Party - to have Trump out of their hair. I don’t think that matters. The Rs are what they are and the Ds have a ton of work to do to counter them. Trump needs to face justice because it’s the right thing to do and to serve as a deterrent. If not prison, at the very least he needs to admit to his crimes and if there’s a legal way to do it, be banned from holding public office. Banishment to another country, like other states do with deposed dictators, and particularly to a shithole country would be poetic justice.

Ultimately I think he’ll skate on Federal charges one way or another. But NY or another state might get him.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Judging by Biden's response to questions about being denied legitimacy by the T and the Reps, he isn't worried about that outcome. I think his campaign manager said he has been privately congratulated by Senators who won't do it publicly.
Joe Biden is the most experienced currently elected politician in the country right now. I don't think you could ask for a steadier hand at the wheel in these uncertain times.

As far as how effective he'll be in his first two years, all eyes will be on Georgia in early January.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Regarding Trump being prosecuted, an article title I saw this morning made me think he might bargain his freedom against his political future. Ie. if he leaves the public sphere completely he would not be convicted of any crimes.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, my view has changed on the prosecution of Donald Trump.
Lock the mother fucker up.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I agree Chris, yet remain disgusted with R leaders who still haven’t publicly acknowledged Biden's win. The odds of Trump pulling off a coup are vanishingly small. I expect he’ll negotiate some exit deal similar to deposed tinpot leaders of banana republics. I hope NY throws his ass in prison.

Jim, I thought that when Trump started a frontal attack on the election process itself your opinion might change.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yep. What he's doing is truly fascist, there is no sugarcoating it.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

DavidG wrote: .
I expect he’ll negotiate some exit deal similar to deposed tinpot leaders of banana republics. I hope NY throws his ass in prison.
Hmm...If such negotiations happen, then we have a tinpot leader who would get away like any other, and we would truly become a Banana Republic...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Racer Chris wrote:Regarding Trump being prosecuted, an article title I saw this morning made me think he might bargain his freedom against his political future. Ie. if he leaves the public sphere completely he would not be convicted of any crimes.
What would happen if he bargains his freedom for leaving his office peacefully (which by the way was legitimately voted out by people)?

Other than overreaching with executive power, he would be doing the same things being out of office. He will start his own tv network and keep using inflammatory language, sowing divisions in the electorate, peddling conspiracy theories, controlling the republican pawns in the congress, urging followers and republican lawmakers to break the law, so on and so forth...

So no consequences for breaking the law and sounds to me that US is no exception compared to other Banana Republics out there. And what’s precluding other future presidents testing it again (until someone succeeds)??
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

When he's not president, he's a private citizen who is deeply in debt with assets that have severely depreciated. Given his financial position, he may be tempted sell classified info to raise cash.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jay Winton wrote:When he's not president, he's a private citizen who is deeply in debt with assets that have severely depreciated. Given his financial position, he may be tempted sell classified info to raise cash.
I’m concerned that he’s doing this now. Once he’s out of office I expect his access to secure information will be curtailed. And I doubt he can remember mare than 5 words that are related to each other.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Chateau Vin wrote:
DavidG wrote: .
I expect he’ll negotiate some exit deal similar to deposed tinpot leaders of banana republics. I hope NY throws his ass in prison.
Hmm...If such negotiations happen, then we have a tinpot leader who would get away like any other, and we would truly become a Banana Republic...
By some measures we’re already there.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Now what?
All I keep hearing over here is that Trump is contesting everything and won’t concede.
So what happens now?

In relation to prosecution I do have to say that there are bigger priorities in life with COVID-19 and a flagging economy.
If Nixon did not get prosecuted no ex President can be.
jal

Post by jal »

The only thing I read today that sort of made sense is that Trump has a complete mistrust of the media and won't concede until the states certify the results.

Once that happens, he will not have a choice.

The "He won but it's rigged" Tweet is meaningless.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think that is an optimistic viewpoint, Jacques, and I hope you are right.
Personally, I think we are in the midst of a slow-moving attempted coup d'etat.
Kayleigh McEnany says there were "millions" out there yesterday protesting the "rigged" vote.
We are in the midst of a Big Lie of Orwellian proportions, and McConnell and the Republicans will do whatever Herr Orange says.
I also predict that they will not even adhere to what SCOTUS says.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I see we are losing our favorite NYT columnist. Man, these are sad, ominous times!
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Could he just say: "I am guilty for all these misdemeanors (pussy grabbing, tax cheating, fraudulent bankruptcies... I acknowledge it... fair enough...and I pardon myself now as I have been the Greatest US President ever and I just say I will not do it again"
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Wisconsin needs $7.9 million upfront for a recount. We'll see if Trump puts his money where his big mouth is.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So now the "certification" process <rolls eyes> begins, and Detroit's votes have been nullified.
When will the Democrats get their heads out of the sand and recognize this is a coup d'etat?
Prediction: Next non-certification coming in Georgia. Surprise, surprise.
Hm$(still)

Post by Hm$(still) »

Wayne County just certified. Chillaxxx Jim!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 324274002/