President Trump

JimHow

Re: President Trump

Post by JimHow »

Can someone tell me when the Bowling Green Massacre occurred? I. missed that one.
Sigh. 9/11 really screwed us up, didn't it.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Bowling Green Massacre? 9/3/2016. Here you go, Jim:
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG (33.69 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
Being a Wolverine fan, I could get behind a Buckeyes ban.
AKR

Post by AKR »

JimHow wrote:Can someone tell me when the Bowling Green Massacre occurred? I. missed that one.
Sigh. 9/11 really screwed us up, didn't it.
I heard Ms. Conway, and her poor sartorial tastes, have been banned from the Sunday political chat/news shows.

When people start revolutions, and being feeding the guillotines, it rarely ends the way the architects dreamed of. Just ask poor Robespierre -- in all of Paris there is not on street or square named after him.

And now Ms. Conway has been fed to the BANNED monster.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Judges kicking ass and not accepting a Trump BS in 9th Circuit. Streaming live at
http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view_ ... 0000010884
And on CNN.

Jim you need to open a bottle and give us a TN/color analysis.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just got in, David, missed it.
Has anyone given an idea how quickly this will move to the SCOTUS?
The beauty of course is that a 4-4 tie there would affirm the lower court.
I wonder if Roberts and/or Kennedy will end up going with Trump in the end on this issue.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Just got in, David, missed it.
Has anyone given an idea how quickly this will move to the SCOTUS?
The beauty of course is that a 4-4 tie there would affirm the lower court.
I wonder if Roberts and/or Kennedy will end up going with Trump in the end on this issue.
Looks like the decision from 9th circuit will be out in a day or two. From the limited hearing of the proceedings, I think one judge is critical of Trump's position, the other critical of WA state position and I have barely heard anything from the third judge...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have no idea if the 9th Circuit is as liberal as it used to be.
What is heartening is to see even those judges appointed by Dubya showing a level of normalcy and taking on the would-be dictator.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

and the DONALD IS NOT HAPPY with SNL!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

To change the subject,
Happy Birthday Jay

Don't know if the Donald has a problem with that.

Chris Bublitz
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

NSA doesn't trust Trump team to keep secrets. Is Flynn leaking? Is it treason?

http://observer.com/2017/02/donald-trum ... n-embassy/
Intelligence Community pushes back against a White House it considers leaky, untruthful and penetrated by the Kremlin

...out of worries about the White House’s ability to keep secrets, some of our spy agencies have begun withholding intelligence from the Oval Office. Why risk your most sensitive information if the president may ignore it anyway? A senior National Security Agency official explained that NSA was systematically holding back some of the “good stuff” from the White House, in an unprecedented move. For decades, NSA has prepared special reports for the president’s eyes only, containing enormously sensitive intelligence. In the last three weeks, however, NSA has ceased doing this, fearing Trump and his staff cannot keep their best SIGINT secrets.

What’s going on was explained lucidly by a senior Pentagon intelligence official, who stated that “since January 20, we’ve assumed that the Kremlin has ears inside the SITROOM,” meaning the White House Situation Room, the 5,500 square-foot conference room in the West Wing where the president and his top staffers get intelligence briefings. “There’s not much the Russians don’t know at this point,” the official added in wry frustration.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

My deepest sympathies go out to all the people of Sweden who may be suffering in the aftermath of Friday's horrific event - described by our president during his campaign rally on Saturday.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wine prices in the Alkoblodget are the real tragedy in Sweden.

Totally Horrific!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I see Trump's approval ratings are up to 48%.
Prediction:
Donald Trump will be reelected in 2020.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:I see Trump's approval ratings are up to 48%.
Prediction:
If the next phase of the GOP's voter suppression plans are even partially actualized, he almost certainly will. Under the lie of voter fraud, democracy itself is under assault right now, it's just getting very little media attention.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... p_win.html
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote:
JimHow wrote:I see Trump's approval ratings are up to 48%.
Prediction:
If the next phase of the GOP's voter suppression plans are even partially actualized, he almost certainly will. Under the lie of voter fraud, democracy itself is under assault right now, it's just getting very little media attention.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... p_win.html
Oh come on. Wisconsin is a state where HRC and the NYT were expecting her to win big.

This is like losing a football game 50 - 10 and complaining about a false start or something.

The stunning thing is that Trump basically put no effort, money, or strategy into his plan and HRC still found a way to somehow lose to him. Think how many rockribbed conservatives didn't vote for him, or carry any water for him, or canvass, or do anything.
tim

Post by tim »

Trump’s America: `They just seemed to take over.’

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:872970022

Maine’s Androscoggin County and the town of Lewiston have been transformed by an influx of thousands of refugees and asylum-seekers these past 16 years. Once reliably Democratic, the county backed Donald Trump in 2016, largely because voters embraced his nativist zeal against the very type of immigrants who share their streets. Here some of Androscoggin’s 107,000 residents talk about the anti-immigration fervor that helped give rise to Trump.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm starting a big three week trial involving a Somali couple charged with welfare fraud next week.
It is going to be a political spectacle.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Two words:

Archibald Cox.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Can someone tell me the single most incriminating piece of evidence that ties Donald Trump to Russia in some illegal way.
I have yet to hear that evidence. It may be there. I HOPE it's there.
But at this point I'm still waiting for that smoking gun, that Watergate-type piece of evidence that should lead to articles of impeachment.
I don't see it yet.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Whatever happened to that secret dossier the British spies had on him? I thought that was chock a block with juicy stuff.
This is getting to be even better than the House of Cards, an American adaptation of a UK mini series. In that show, a Speaker of the House manages to get a President impeached, so that he can assume the throne. Perhaps Paul Ryan has queued that up for some wknd entertainment.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Eric trump gave a clue recently when he mentioned where they get money for trump golf courses.
They're laundering Russian money and the evidence will surface soon.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

So in 1973 both Houses of Congress were controlled by the Democrats and the checks and the balances in the system worked admirably as the noose began to tighten around Nixon.

What about this time? You have a GOP President and a GOP-controlled Congress. Will the Republicans in Congress put country or party first?

I have no great insights but I reckon they are more likely to put Party first so they can repeal Obamacare and cut taxes first. It really is a defining moment in US politics.

It would be so sweet to see DJT's head on a platter but I don't see it.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sad to say I agree with every word you've written Ian. Wish you to be proven wrong but I'm not hopeful. Then again, who knows what revelation may be around the corner?
AKR

Post by AKR »

In another backstabbing betrayal to evangelicals, the promise to move the US flag to Jerusalem has now been shattered.

==============

Also I forgot this great one liner, its actually from POTUS, not Alec Baldwin

“I think our dollar is getting too strong, and partially that’s my fault because people have confidence in me” DJT to the WSJ

That probably reflects the way he really thinks of world.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy is quoted in the media as saying, in a secret meeting of Trump affiliated republican representatives last summer, "The people Putin pays are (Dana) Rohrabacher and Trump."
Seems like a hard one to walk back now.
SOTHUS was also in said meeting.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This is not even close to "impeachment territory."
If I were in the House, I would be one Democrat voting against articles of impeachment.
The phony David Gergens and Jeffrey Toobins of the world are full of shit.
There's nothing there, folks, no matter how much the liberal media wants to try to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Donald Trump is a buffoon. But he is our duly elected buffoon.
This is not about Donald Trump.
This is about the legitimacy of the presidency.
If we are gonna start tossing around the word "impeachment" every time a president starts doing and saying things that are stupid, we are in big trouble.
Donald Trump will NEVER be impeached, and he will CERTAINLY never be convicted by two thirds of the senate.
Deal with it, people.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I completely agree with you. Even Bernie Sanders concurred with you on the other night when he was on CNN with John Kasich. It's wayyyyyy too early to be throwing that around. The Dems are doing themselves a disservice by doing that and losing credibility. Nancy Pelosi needs to shut up and sit down and not speak unless spoken too. The women is the biggest liability, next to Hillary, that they have right now. Gergen used to be the voice of reason but with Trump he's out there with the rest of the lefties.
tim

Post by tim »

Gerry M. wrote:I completely agree with you. Even Bernie Sanders concurred with you on the other night when he was on CNN with John Kasich. It's wayyyyyy too early to be throwing that around. The Dems are doing themselves a disservice by doing that and losing credibility. Nancy Pelosi needs to shut up and sit down and not speak unless spoken too. The women is the biggest liability, next to Hillary, that they have right now. Gergen used to be the voice of reason but with Trump he's out there with the rest of the lefties.
Ok, I have to interject here, because this post reeks of sexism. "Shut up and sit down and not speak unless spoken too (sic)"? I am glad strong women, including Pelosi and especially Clinton, are not sitting down and shutting up!

And I will point out, Pelosi is speaking out against the impeachment talk.

#shepersisted
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

tim wrote:
Ok, I have to interject here, because this post reeks of sexism. "Shut up and sit down and not speak unless spoken too (sic)"? I am glad strong women, including Pelosi and especially Clinton, are not sitting down and shutting up!

#shepersisted
+1

I will add that Maxine Waters is one of my current heroes in congress precisely because she is sensible, well informed, and is being outspoken about her convictions.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

tim wrote:
Gerry M. wrote:I completely agree with you. Even Bernie Sanders concurred with you on the other night when he was on CNN with John Kasich. It's wayyyyyy too early to be throwing that around. The Dems are doing themselves a disservice by doing that and losing credibility. Nancy Pelosi needs to shut up and sit down and not speak unless spoken too. The women is the biggest liability, next to Hillary, that they have right now. Gergen used to be the voice of reason but with Trump he's out there with the rest of the lefties.

#shepersisted
Just for clarification, their sex has nothing to do with it. I apologize for a poor choice of words. It did come off as sexist and my wife would slap me upside the head for saying it. I have nothing against strong women. My belief is Pelosi's strident positions have contributed to the alienation of a large portion of mainstream Democrats, including myself. There are many women in Congress that I respect and would happily vote for if able including Dianne Feinstein, Susan Collins, Olympia Snow (Until she retired), Lisa Murkowski, Nikki Tsongas and others. Again, my bad and thank you for calling me on it.
tim

Post by tim »

Gerry M. wrote:
tim wrote:

#shepersisted
Just for clarification, their sex has nothing to do with it. I apologize for a poor choice of words. It did come off as sexist and my wife would slap me upside the head for saying it. I have nothing against strong women. My belief is Pelosi's strident positions have contributed to the alienation of a large portion of mainstream Democrats, including myself. There are many women in Congress that I respect and would happily vote for if able including Dianne Feinstein, Susan Collins, Olympia Snow (Until she retired), Lisa Murkowski, Nikki Tsongas and others. Again, my bad and thank you for calling me on it.
Well stated. I have issues with Pelosi also, no question. But in this case she has been speaking responsibly.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

The Issue I have with Nancy Pelosi in this case is she's not happy with a special prosecutor. She's continuing to call for a special commission. I'm not an attorney but my understanding is Congress has no ability to hand down indictments or to criminally charge anyone. However, they can offer up immunity to compel testimony. If a commissions investigation were to uncover criminal activity, the granting of immunity could obstruct or cause any conviction to be overturned on appeal. That's what happened with Oliver North and Iran Contra. I think Congress has enough fingers in the pie at this point between the House and Senate Intelligence committees and the FBI investigation on top of that. All those separate investigations are all going to be chasing the same information with the intelligence services and it has all the potential of turning into fiasco.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I warned everyone that Trump would be sorry he wanted this job.

It's like something out of King Lear.

Some of you might remember that Shakespearean drama of a proud, reckless King betrayed.

Can you imagine the joy Ted Cruz will have in the Senate if impeachment moved to his chamber?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Gerry M. wrote:The Issue I have with Nancy Pelosi in this case is she's not happy with a special prosecutor. She's continuing to call for a special commission.
If I understand her correctly, she has no problem with the special counsel just appointed, but thinks that a special commission is also needed because the special counsel is only looking at past actions to determine if crimes were committed. An independent commission would be charged with finding out how to prevent the Russian interference from happening again, in the future.
Two different purposes, both necessary.
tim

Post by tim »

Personally, I am pleased as punch with a special prosecutor. We have seen that Trump is willing to interfere with the investigation. He is an authoritarian asshole petulant child with a grudge. I do believe that he could be the downfall of the American Republic (because let's face it, the US is NOT a democracy). At least with a special prosecutor, it is out of reach of the abject corruption that is Donald Trump.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

tim wrote:Personally, I am pleased as punch with a special prosecutor. We have seen that Trump is willing to interfere with the investigation. He is an authoritarian asshole petulant child with a grudge. I do believe that he could be the downfall of the American Republic (because let's face it, the US is NOT a democracy). At least with a special prosecutor, it is out of reach of the abject corruption that is Donald Trump.
I take offense that you are so naive in saying nice about Trump...

Knowing what I knew about Trump, and seeing what I had seen by then before the election, I was wary about his penchant for corruption, let alone his ability to run a government. But still, I was willing to give benefit of doubt and said so in my earlier posts.

He is an abomination. If I say that he is childish and has a brain of a six year old, I would be insulting all children.

All along I have said that running a business does not translate into running a government. The goals are different, the stake holders are different, the partners are different, execution/implementation is different, constraints are different and the motives are different, and on and on...I guess you reap what you sow...
tim

Post by tim »

Chateau Vin wrote: All along I have said that running a business does not translate into running a government. The goals are different, the stake holders are different, the partners are different, execution/implementation is different, constraints are different and the motives are different, and on and on...I guess you reap what you sow...
There is also a difference between running a public business and running a private business. A CEO of a private business doesn't answer to anyone but himself or herself. A CEO of a public company, on the other hand, has constituents in the form of shareholders, which are represented by a BOD. A public company has to deal with the financial community, it requires disclosure and transparency, etc. Trump failed miserably when he managed part of his company as a public company. And that was even with majority control of the shares.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Bitter recriminations from the WSJ Op-Ed page today demanding POTUS act, well, presidential.

They actually published a list of "Stop Doing ____"

====

Best of all, actress Robin Wright, who some of you may remember for her scheming role in House of Cards, was grousing the other day that DJT was stealing all their themes/plot lines for a sixth season of the long running Netflix serial.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks,
I am not American nor live there.
I'm an Australian and live in SE Asia these days.

I am not getting into the nuts and bolts issues.
But America seems to be so intractably divided at present.
The campaign was nasty, personal and vitriolic, and nothing has changed since then.
All I hear whether in the US media, local media, European media and social media is a lot of slurs, anecdotes, threats, etc.
The media has turned completely feral from all observations and cares little about the stability of the country.
Their agenda is to oppose everything that Trump and his administration does. And at whatever the cost.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Rumors have it I decided to run for Congress today.