President Trump

DavidG

Re: President Trump

Post by DavidG »

I agree with your latter statement about national security Alex. I just don’t think that’s something that can be used against him legally, like criminal money laundering or violation of specific laws with clear paper trail evidence.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

David,

There is talk of a video...

Alex
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just can’t get excited about these sex related issues, video or no video.
Even if Trump is being “blackmailed.”
The integrity of an election of a president should not be usurped except under the most extreme of circumstances.
The public has the right to elect a raging lunatic.
I can’t get excited that Russia infiltrated Facebook and the rest of the internet.
Unless you can show me that voting machines are being reprogrammed, or money is illegally changing into Trump’s hands, then I don’t care about his sexual kinks.
Besides, politically, I don’t WANT Trump gone. Pence is much more dangerous.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

When it comes to trade does Pence think global trade is a good thing like most Republicans or does he share Trump’s flat earth society view that if you have a deficit you must be getting screwed?

Re Comey in some senses he has done the world a favour by undermining a weak candidate and a morally unfit President. So I know Pence holds extreme views but I would be less uncomfortable with him as President.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Comte - Read Peter Navarro's op-ed in todays WSJ on trade with China.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This article sums up my take on how the Cohen raid has changed the situation:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... presidency
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim, let's throw out the sexual stuff and, for the sake of discussion, even though it may have been illegal, the campaign stuff.

What if there is solid evidence of felonious criminal financial activity? Money laundering perhaps. What do you think would come of that? What should come of that?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Arv - I can’t access that article

The article Patrick linked in from the New Yorker is compulsory reading
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What if there is solid evidence of felonious criminal financial activity? Money laundering perhaps. What do you think would come of that? What should come of that?
It would depend how serious, David.
I'm sure you've seen the Jimmy Carter interview in which he says he is praying for Donald Trump and would oppose impeachment even if Orange Head is guilty of crimes. I'd have to assess the extent of the laundering involved, but the power of a national vote of a president is an extremely important thing that can't just lightly be reversed, and I'm closer to Jimmy Carter on that viewpoint. That's why I roll my eyes when I hear the word "impeachment" being thrown out there by Democrats so loosely, just like when the Republicans did it to Clinton. Clinton likely broke some laws but most people with common sense recognized that he shouldn't be impeached because he lied under oath about a liaison with an intern. It sounded to me like Jimmy was saying he would oppose impeachment basically "no matter what" Trump did. I wouldn't go that far, but I understand his sentiment. Peaceful, national elections for the presidency are about the best things this country still gets right, we can't be quick to neutralize them. Brazil is a place that comes to mind, although it sounds like the fraud and laundering there was pretty epic.

Now is a time to re-read the chapter on Edmund G. Ross in Profiles in Courage..
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

DavidG wrote:Jim, let's throw out the sexual stuff and, for the sake of discussion, even though it may have been illegal, the campaign stuff.

I am not a pessimist, but I would like to go by facts and reality....

In short, the answer to your question is 'nothing much'....If criminal financial activity is uncovered, the small fish will fry...The rest will be pardoned by Trump. Trump has 3 more years. I don't think he will win second term, but within the next 3 years if Trump associates are looking at jail time, it's not gonna happen. Well if there are state charges, that's a different thing. I think Trump's inner circle who will be implicated will lose... 1. Money, 2. Peace of Mind but I don't forsee them going to prison on federal charges.

If Trump can pardon a sheriff for violating a court order (just because the sheriff is touting his immigration policies ) well before even sentencing, imagining not pardoning his men is wishful thinking. His men can even plead guilty, and get pardoned sooner before he leaves office...The question is not whether he will pardon his men, but how soon will he do...

If Mueller is smart, he needs to play with the timeline of Trump's presidency...And I don't think Dems will control both chambers in midterms. At the most maybe one chamber they might get. And republicans are engrossed in tribalism that will do nothing to control Trump's any law breaking impulses.

Let's see how it will pan out, but I am not banking on any major sentence servings after the investigation is all said and done (that too if Mueller doesn't get fired)...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I agree with Jim about this whole thing of people yapping about 'impeachment'. They are throwing the word like a loose canon even before Mueller ascertaining all the facts.... Behaving like counting the chickens before they are hatched...There was a debate between this billionaire Steyer guy and Axelrod about this, and Steyer came out as a fool...

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... cracy.html
AKR

Post by AKR »

Maybe DJT will pardon himself.

Not sure Melania will buy it though.

DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I wasn’t talking about impeachment.

First, from a philosophical perspective I agree about the primacy of an election and the need for there to be serious wrongdoing threatening the basic functions of government. Don’t know that we have that (what exactly would be needed to prove obstruction of justice - suspect it’s too subjective a definition), though I’m pretty disgusted with what Trump has done to the accepted norms.

Second, from a practical perspective even if Ds win majorities in both houses there’s no way they’ll have 67 votes in the Senate to convict him. So an impeachment effort would be a colossal waste of resources. Maybe a good thing because Pence would be worse for human rights, though possibly less likely to get us all incinerated and a D majority in the House could put the brakes on regressive legislation. Still a lot of bad can be done independently of Congress.

No, I was asking about criminal charges, whether Federal or State. Is a sitting President subject to the laws of the land or is impeachment (which we agree won’t happen here) the only way to remove him prior to the next election?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well, then of course you get into the metaphysical question of whether the president can commit a crime.
Richard Nixon said no but most scholars say yes.
But it's never been decided.
But it is really a moot issue.
I truly hope you guys are braced for the worst:
Donald Trump will be re-elected, and will serve a whole 8 years in office.
The worst damage will not come from tax laws, and trade policies, or even Middle East policies or confrontation with North Korea.
The worst damage will come from his remaking of the U.S. Supreme Court, as he replaces the likes of Kennedy, Ginsburg, Breyer, and we are left for 20+ years with the concept that John Roberts is one of the liberal voices on the Supreme Court.
That's where the real harm will come, because it will live long past Trump.
Ian's concerns about trade, etc., etc., yada, yada, is just political stuff that can change every 2-4 years.
Who from the Democratic side beats Orange Head in 2020?
NOBODY, I say.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Of course the Supreme Court is where the effects will be most long-lived.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I truly believe the reports that he is descending into the abyss of dementia.
As I've said here before, I haven't heard barely 5 minutes of his voice since he was elected.
I've READ all about him, but I've turned him off every time he has come on the TV or radio.
During the campaign I listened to him for countless hours.
He was the ultimate American demagogue, he was an American Mussolini.
As much as I despised him, he was DAMNEd GOOD!
I completely understood what the appeal was about especially to depressed areas like central Maine, where I live.
However, I was shocked at how weak his voice was, how much he seemed to have deteriorated, while he was reading his script the other night during the Syria bombing. It was the longest I've listened to him at any one time during his presidency.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Look at how prior POTUS hair all turned grey. Unrelenting stress in the position from external forces.

And then this guy piles on more problems he creates for himself, with women, Twitter, and three front war on the Deep State/NYT & WaPo/NFL.

All that stress causes the cortisol to skyrocket, and without any alcohol to counterbalance those toxins, he is descending into the madness of King Lear.

Of course there's an excellent chance that Blue Wave will shock him in November, and like Clinton, he quickly triangulates and adopts new (plagiarized) policies.

He could get reelected like that - he only needs to keep a few of those Midwest states that flipped.

And some like MN, NH might be shifting away from Blue anyways.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Tasting notes for a teeltotalling president:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... Q5ODIwNAS2
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well done! Waiting for the TN on Chateau Comey.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I met Barbara Bush back in 1991 when she and her husband came to Lewiston in early September after a summer at Kennebunkport.
I was 32 years old, the young pro-education mayor of Lewiston.
The four presidential helicopters landed out on the soccer field at Lewiston High School.
The president was in town to give a major speech on education, sort of the kickoff of his 1992 reelection campaign.
I had the highest of clearance.
The helicopters landed.
She was the first off the helicopter, along with Brent Scowcroft, with then-Education secretary Lamar Alexander, moments before the picture below.
Governor John "Jock" McKernan, the tallest in the picture, the Republican governor husband of Olympia Snowe, knew the Bushes in their Republican circles.
He kissed Barbara on the cheek.
Back then I was even more socially awkward than I am today.
My plan was to shake her hand.
But at the last second I grabbed her by the shoulders and kissed her on the cheek, just like the governor had.
A historically awkward moment for me. She was, of course, only the first of two First Ladies with whom I would interact physically....
Attachments
IMG_0842.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg (78.9 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
stefan

Post by stefan »

ROTFL!!!!

NOT at the picture, but at the New Yorker wine reviews.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The BD did not post the caption to the picture (which originally appeared in the New York Post):

"Stay away from my wife, asshole!"
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha he was very nice, what a great day that was, the presidency comes to Lewiston, wow!

His speech at Lewiston High School:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=19933
Attachments
IMG_0843.jpg
IMG_0843.jpg (76.71 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If you haven't watched it yet I highly recommend the new Netflix documentary "Bobby Kennedy for President."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io3uQ6Q4NlU
AKR

Post by AKR »

My favorite quote of the day, now that DJT is being subjected to Nobel Peace Prize consideration for bringing olive branches to the warring Koreans, is from Dennis Rodman, discussing his bonding with young Kim Ma Johng, in particular by sharing a copy of The Art of the Deal, an early DJT manifesto

(Success has a 1000 fathers, failure is an orphan)

"I think that his impression about Donald Trump and the American people, I think he's had a change of heart. I think when I went over the last time for his birthday, I gave him one of Donald Trump's books. I do a lot of things with Donald Trump, and stuff like that, and I think people know that. I think you have the video of me giving him books and telling him about Donald Trump and about Americans, I think he didn't realize who Donald Trump was at that time, I guess, until he started to read the book and started to get to understand him, stuff like that.
"I don't want to take all the credit. I don't want to sit there and say, 'I did this, I did that.' That's not my intention. My intention was to go over and be a sports ambassador to North Korea so people understand how the people are in North Korea. I think that has resonated to this whole point now. And Donald Trump, I don't ask Donald Trump for anything. I like Donald Trump. He's a good friend and I've always asked him to talk to me because the people of North Korea and the government over there asked me to talk to Donald Trump about what they want and how we could solve things.
"I first asked Donald Trump years ago before he became president. I told him I was going to North Korea and he said, 'Dennis, go over there. It's a great thing, Dennis. It's a great thing that you're doing over there.' And when I went over there, things looked great. He was happy and stuff like that. And then things changed, and now, since things have changed again, people are asking me, why aren't you getting any credit because you're the one who brought awareness to the hostages and everyone that's over there, and all of a sudden, he started letting people go. And I'm like, I'm not the president. I'm just one person. I'm just one person and I'm so happy that things are going well."
Last edited by AKR on Tue May 01, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

My favorite quote of the day is from White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, "He is an idiot."
Posted by a journalist who I respect, and corroborated by 4 sources. Although the WH and Kelly claim he has never said that.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
My favorite quote of the day is from White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, "He is an idiot."
>>

Was he referring to Donald Trump, Dennis Rodman, or both?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

stefan wrote:>>
>>

Kelly denies that he said it about DT, although former Sec of State Tillerson would neither confirm or deny that he called DT a moron.
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote:>>
>>

I think more accurately, Rodman is a rebounding savant
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Well, Donald has just started a trade war with allied countries.

I wonder what circle of hell Dante would have put trump in?

Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Unemployment in Lewiston, Maine, is at 2.3% right now, which of course is basically no unemployment.
AKR

Post by AKR »

AlexR wrote:Well, Donald has just started a trade war with allied countries.

I wonder what circle of hell Dante would have put trump in?

Alex R.
Probably some special gold plated Penthouse plane of Hell (where his WiFi won't connect to Twitter)
AKR

Post by AKR »

JimHow wrote:Unemployment in Lewiston, Maine, is at 2.3% right now, which of course is basically no unemployment.
One of my buddies who does blue collar work is basically having work 6 days a week, since his employer can't find anyone to help.

He is exhausted all the time. These are long, backbreaking shifts too.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim, that 2.3% unemployment rate in Lewiston is very interesting. And I think it is a good lesson in how we need to look at these numbers carefully. Based on stories you have told about what is happening in Lewiston socio-economically, it suggests to me that considerably more than 2.3% of the people do not have jobs. As you know, that data only counts you as unemployed if you are actively looking for work. If you have given up looking for work, or are addicted to opioids and hanging around looking for your next fix, you are likely not employed. And though I have no data to offer for my argument, my sense from looking around where I live is that there are many more people not even trying to work than there were in the past. I'd be interested in other perspectives since I'm in an urban area that has had cyclical unemployment issues for decades.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Agreed, Jon, although a lot of it is relative, of course.
When I was mayor in the early '90s this area was basically in a depression.
More people are working today, but, of course, the bigger question is whether they are making a livable wage.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/23/ ... 3-percent/
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim, I'm visiting your state this weekend. A quick trip to see my brother's family and watch his son graduate from high school (a really bright and responsible kid who will do the state proud). They live in Saco, and we are staying in a small inn along the coast not far from them. We will have to make the next trip longer so there is time for a gathering in Lewiston.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Aww too bad, Jon, would have loved to have you up, I have two extra bedrooms.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

And meantime it has been 50 years this week that Robert Kennedy was assassinated.
I don't think this country has ever recovered from the triple blows of November 22, 1963, April 4, 1968, and June 5, 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N105wUjgTcM
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I see they are now projecting Republican gains in the Senate this year.
Man, is the Democratic Party pathetic.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:And meantime it has been 50 years this week that Robert Kennedy was assassinated.
I don't think this country has ever recovered from the triple blows of November 22, 1963, April 4, 1968, and June 5, 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N105wUjgTcM
Add November 8, 2016 to that list. When all said and done, this date will dwarf the rest in terms of damage...