2012 du Tertre

dstgolf

2012 du Tertre

Post by dstgolf »

I have to beg to differ with Bobby G's recent review on theis wine. Far from green and far from off putting. Did he have the Margaux or the St Emillion by the same name for 1/3 of the price.

This has a long way to go and somewhat closed. Definitely not as expressive on the nose as I remember from France but still showing red cherries/currants and spice. Light on its feet with nice balance and length with ripe soft tannins. No off putting green notes that were described previously but a few years from wanting to pop the next one but there is no disappointment in this Margaux appelation rising star. I'm certain Jim H would appreciate this one at this stage...fresh,fruity,nice acidity/length and 13.5% alc. Not bad :)
Danny
JimHow

Re: 2012 du Tertre

Post by JimHow »

Gerry M picked up 6 bottles for me, can't wait to try it!
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

How dare u disagree with me...I demand an apology! ! ;) lol

This was the bottle I received....Orlando Bobby saw very little redeeming quality...I saw some light...but Bobby and I love cab franc (meaning we love green).....but we didn't like this green...another taster had difficulty drinking it....just too lathered in bell pepper...chalk it up to bottle variation
AKR

Post by AKR »

I find it hard to enjoy / understand these kinds of things on release.
JScott

Post by JScott »

I will just add that it seems some tasters are much more sensitive to that bell pepper/green bean profile than others. Same way some diners love cilantro, others say it tastes like soap and can't stand it. I remember distinctly at an event in NYC (I think we were tasting '00's) there was a controversy about the Lalande on this issue.

I've heard similar debates about brett but I think this is a different issue. With Brett, I think some like the profile and others don't; with bell pepper, I think some actually taste it differently or more strongly than others.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I like some versions of "green" in my wine more than others. At low levels they add complexity, but at some point they poke out and become a negative distraction. I find "grassy" and "leafy" tolerable at higher levels than "bell pepper" or "geranium." And as Scott notes, who's to say if my leafy is your geranium?
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

True some are sensitive to bell pepper...I fine with it...but not in the way Du Tertre was laced with it...to its defense I caught a nearly bottle of our beloved Giscours in a similar state..just not as pronounced....and we know how that wine turned out....it rocks
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

It must be bottle variation. When I opened one of Jim's, I mean my :) bottles I got no sense of greenness or brett. It was young and tight at first and opened up slightly over a couple of hours.
AKR

Post by AKR »

JScott wrote:I will just add that it seems some tasters are much more sensitive to that bell pepper/green bean profile than others. Same way some diners love cilantro, others say it tastes like soap and can't stand it. I remember distinctly at an event in NYC (I think we were tasting '00's) there was a controversy about the Lalande on this issue.

I've heard similar debates about brett but I think this is a different issue. With Brett, I think some like the profile and others don't; with bell pepper, I think some actually taste it differently or more strongly than others.
I went to an Indian restaurant where there was no cilantro anywhere. I queried the chef on it, and he was one of those cilantro super tasters, even though he was Indian, so none of that herb.

Normally cilantro is garnished fairly liberally in that cuisine, so it was odd not see it.

Maybe that's why there are those divergent strongly held views on wines which have that flavor.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

When it comes to this specific wine, I think we are just experiencing it differently. I got some green notes, but they were "fresh-cut brush" to me, and quite pleasant. I tolerate that type of green at higher levels than bell pepper. Though even bell pepper at low enough levels can be a positive in terms of complexity.

2012 Ch. du Tertre (6/1/2015) Dark purple/black to rim. Cassis, iodine, fresh-cut brush and a creamy/lactic note on the nose. Plus a distinct hit of buttered popcorn (diacetyl?) that I usually associate with buttery chards, it recedes but never quite disappears over time. Medium body, lush creamy/velvety mouthfeel, ripe fruit with nice fresh balancing acid, not much tannin, medium finish. Not sure if this is really built for the long haul but I'm notoriously bad at predicting that. Excellent now, I'll happily drink it until (if?) it shuts down, and save a few for the 10-15 year mark and beyond.
Show Less
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

I agree more with your synopsis. I'm pretty sensitive to green pepper and find it off putting. I just didn't get green pepper on this one on the two times that it has crossed my lips. 23 more bottles to decide....??!!
Danny