TN: 00 Chasse Spleen [Moulis]

AKR

TN: 00 Chasse Spleen [Moulis]

Post by AKR »

00 Chasse Spleen [Moulis] Over two days, cooled, but not decanted. Teen age Bordeaux hue, a few mm of lightening at the edges. 13% abv on the label, along with a quote in French that I don't know. On the nose it opens with earth, iron, and leather. Medium bodied but a long dense finish, maybe 30 seconds. Very balanced and refined. Should easily age another decade or more without blinking an eye. There is still a hit of tannin left, but mostly resolved, and just lots of flavor left. Really better on second day, suggesting it is still not yet peaking. Savoring the finish, I also pick up hints of mint, oregano. This is lovely stuff for fans of Medocs - I posed this as an example to the SO of a cabernet driven wine. It even has a sliver of petit verdot, which can be controversial, but for a wine that is expected to endure, may add the legs needed for that. It's been a long time since I've had one of these estates wines, and longer for one that I've enjoyed whole heartedly -- 86 and 89 enjoyed in the 90s fell into that camp -- but this is right up there. Very classic, but a wine to be enjoyed by itself, rather than subjected to a syrupy lineup that will crowd out its gifts. I got an experimental large format for my minions birth year, and checking in on this at age 15 convinces me that I that should get more of the 2010 in bigger sizes as/if/when they become available at reasonable prices. The plan was to have this with Korean style ribs....but the bottle may not make it to supper! It gets a whopping A- in my ledger even though its not the usual kind of sexy wine I find crowding my cellar chaos.

This would probably be a MichaelP / Comte Flaneur style wine: patience rewarded.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: TN: 00 Chasse Spleen [Moulis]

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I've had it a couple of times, probably most recently at age 10 or 11. I found it to be top-notch, a home run in or out of the vintage. I saw it described variously including modern but I would not agree to the extent that was intending in a disparaging or slighting sense. It was just an excellent wine all-around. I might have one more if I bought three.
AlexR

Re: TN: 00 Chasse Spleen [Moulis]

Post by AlexR »

Thanks for the notes Arv.

As for the quote: http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... f=4&t=5405

All the best,
Alex