2000 Maucaillou

AlexR

2000 Maucaillou

Post by AlexR »

This wine was decanted 2 hours before lunch (grilled steak). If served blind, I would have guessed it older than its years from the color.

The graphite nose indicated its Médoc origins. Is there such a thing as a Moulis typicity? I think not. A Belgian wine writer charmingly referred to Moulis wines as "les Margaux de l’intérieur", but I think that was more fanciful than anything else.

The nose was discreet, too discreet for me, but it did had some plum and some violet overtones.

The wine was soft and resolved on the palate, but a little sharp and lacking in both depth and breadth. An elegant wine, but a little tired and too indeterminate to be memorable.

From the same year and the same appellation as Arv's Chasse Spleen, I have little doubt that the latter is the far better wine.

Best regards,
Alex R.
AKR

Re: 2000 Maucaillou

Post by AKR »

I see this around sometimes, but I don't think I've had one since the 96 or 97, which didn't stick out to me.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Love the label, but the wine less in general. Not exactly cheap too.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Had four bottles of this from release and finished the last a few years ago.First one drank about year 8 and was showing its age then forcing a shorter drinking window for the other three. Never amounted to much over the next 5-6 yrs and I'd suspect now 15 yrs out that this would be feeling quite tire and uninspiring since all 4 bottles were variations of the same. Nothing that I'd recommend. My memories were similar even then thinking this has not got the legs for long term aging. Kinda blah uninspiring and not a house I'd purchase again.
Danny