How much is reasonable for storage?

Chateau Vin

How much is reasonable for storage?

Post by Chateau Vin »

I know it depends on location and size of storage, but how much is too much for storage at a wine storage facility? Say for 50 cases, how much is reasonable? If not a problem, can you guys share how much you generally pay ? Just trying to get a sense of this as I am looking for storage in SD area...
AKR

Re: How much is reasonable for storage?

Post by AKR »

I pay $78/mo for a unit that is 3 stories underground, passive, that I think is sized at 8x10x10. I heard about it from some high end (by our local standards, not by money center city metrics) wine shops and restaurants who also use it for their storage. It's a few miles from my house so is fairly convenient for a visit every 4-6 weeks to drop off and pick up, with my own access. Hours are fairly reasonable.

But for what I have in there it makes no sense, in the economic rational sense. I need to figure out an alternate storage solution, that doesn't cost so much.

Consider if you were storing ports or Sauternes. They hardly ever go up in value. So one can just buy mature ones, and keep your capital in earning assets instead. (Just yesterday I got an offer a 2001 Sauternes that is solid -- although an overrated 95 Parker pts -- for $30 a 750ml, the same price as it was a decade and a half ago) Of course some stuff can't be found aftermarket (like Rhones).
Claret

Post by Claret »

The place I use is $54 per month for 48 cases.
Glenn
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

The place I am looking at, they say it holds 70 cases (???) and are quoting 85 per month. I would say roughly it's 5 by 4 by 9... With two horizontal shelves... It's nit passive storage, but temperature controlled though....

Arv, wondering if the underground passive storage you have is cool enough for the wines to sleep well...
AKR

Post by AKR »

It tend to be around 60F year round. Being way underground is key stabilizer. As well as being in the middle of the complex, i.e. not by a wall.

Maybe not optimal compared to what I had before, but satisfactory.