TN: 05 Petit Bocq [St Estephe]

AKR

TN: 05 Petit Bocq [St Estephe]

Post by AKR »

05 Petit Bocq [St Estephe] Double decanted a few hours ahead of time, served cool, hardly any sediment so didn't need the extra effort. Dark garnet core, slight lightening at the rims. A nose of fennel, anise, and truffles. 13% abv, full bodied, and rich in flavor and impression. I would have thought this to be a modern right bank wine -- it has lots of merlot. I think I've had other vintages in the past, but don't recall them explicitly. Generous fruit, and a 20-30 second finish. The SO complained that I took more than my fair share of the bottle while we were cooking a summer supper: steamed corn, salad, and pecan crusted trout. Still a smidge of tannin and acid left although it drinks great even without food, so I would not be in any hurry to drink these up if you have any, but its at a high point in its aging curve right now. It has the sweet fruit of youth, while showing a berry, licorice, and herbal bouquet. A fine example of why -- in the best vintages -- the smaller wines of Bordeaux deliver great value for a decade or more. An easy B+ for me.

I'm thinking that decanting really helped it blossom. I don't seem to remember the 2003 being this nice.