TN Couple of Left Coast Pinots

Houndsong

TN Couple of Left Coast Pinots

Post by Houndsong »

Over the past, oh, nine months or so I've been working off a mixed-case sampler of entry-level (about $20) west-coast pinots in an attempt to find something enjoyable. Sadly most of these wines were pretty thin and disappointing. A couple have had ok sweetness but tasted flat, i.e., lacking in acidity. I had the 2005 Husch Alexander Valley Pinot last night and it was amongst the best of the bunch. More sweetness than most and decent balance, but surely not the snap I prefer in my pinots. Quite quaffable still. I think the one standout from the case is the 2005 Broadley Willamette Valley. This is a big, sassy pinot with lots of cranberry snap. They make no apologies for the style and I think they pull it off in spades. I wish I'd gotten to it sooner because it seems to be all sold through. I don't know how consitent these would be from vintage to vintage. I'm open to any recommendations for "everyweek" domestic pinot that errs on the energetic side.
Claret

Re: TN Couple of Left Coast Pinots

Post by Claret »

I used to sell Broadley, and really enjoyed their wines. They are a small family operation in the southern portion of the Willamette Valley. I especially remember a complex nose of ripe but not overdone Pinot Noir fruit. I think this is their basic bottling. There are also single vineyard and reserve bottlings.

Glenn
Glenn
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Glenn,

Are you still selling wine out West?

Roberto
Claret

Post by Claret »

Bob, Although I had interviewed with every wine wholesaler in town, nobody was willing to hire me. I suspect my lack of local connections was an issue. I am glad to be out of the sales profession, especially with the current conditions.

For the past two years I have been worked as an insurance claims representative, dealing with injury claims. One of my main responsibilities entails evaluating claims and reviewing ER documents. The local trauma hospital's rates are frequently outrageous.
Glenn
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Glenn, glad to see that you landed on your feet. Health care is a good place to be now. Do you ever get back East? I know that you had some roots here.
Roberto