2012 Fleur Cardinale

pomilion

2012 Fleur Cardinale

Post by pomilion »

Big fan of the 2005 and 2010, tried the '12 last night. Terrific wine and a great value ($35), went back and bought a case and a half this morning. Modern-styled to be sure, but balanced and delicious.
JimHow

Re: 2012 Fleur Cardinale

Post by JimHow »

This is an outstanding property. I hear good things about the '11 too.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Haven't had the '11 but would love to try it based on the '12. '11 as a vintage was pretty dreadful based on the UGC tasting I attended so I haven't sought any '11s out. As a more modern-styled wine in recent vintages, Fleur Cardinale reminds me at times of Canon La Gaffeliere at slightly more than half the price.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Hmm. If it's like C-l-G I should give it a try. I saw some at a local store today but the price was very high compared to what everyone is seeing.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2010 Fleur Cardinale is a 97 point wine.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

AKR wrote:Hmm. If it's like C-l-G I should give it a try. I saw some at a local store today but the price was very high compared to what everyone is seeing.
C-l-G usually has a bit more cab franc and is sometimes a little more exotic and spicy, but they are both incredibly well made, modern-styled wines. I don't think the '12 is that far off Jim's 97-point '10 FC. The '12 FC seems to be widely available in the States for $35-40 and is well worth a try.
Outlier

Post by Outlier »

I'm also a huge fan of Fleur Cardinale. The '10 was particularly stunning and I managed to get more at about $40 at the time, but I don't think you can get that price any more. On a slightly related note, I sourced some '11 Secret de Cardinale at $30. I believe it is a new property with no relationship with Fleur Cardinale but is also a St. Emillion Grand Cru and I assume nearby Fleur Cardinale and found it to be beautiful, at $30. I also attended the '11 UGC in SF and though I enjoyed it, I could the tell the vintage was very challenged. This '11 was really beautiful though and well worth the price.
jckba

Post by jckba »

The last paragraph on Jeff Leve's site for Fleur Cardinale talks about the Secret, see below.

The Decosters produce a second St. Emilion wine for Fleur Cardinale, Bois de Cardinale as well as Secret de Cardinal. Secret de Cardinale comes from vines located on a 1.20 hectare plot bordering Chateau Fleur Cardinale. This 100% Merlot wine is made using the same growing and wine making techniques as Chateau Fleur Cardinale. The 100% Merlot vines for Secret de Cardinale are on average, 35 years old. The terroir is clay and limestone soils. The wine is aged in 100% new French oak for an average of 13 months. The final vintage for Secret de Cardinal was the 2012. The wine is no longer being produced.

Read more: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... z3jwqjEOyo