2003 Monbousquet

stefan

2003 Monbousquet

Post by stefan »

I first drank Monbousquet around 1970; it was probably the 1964. From time to time in the 1970s I drank some. It was consistently just OK. Supposedly this estate improved a lot in the last 20 years. Personally I prefer the mediocre older Monbousquet to the modernized over oaked 2003. Up front it is not terrible, like a CA wine, but it dies rather quickly and dries out out the mouth before you swallow. I forced myself to drink a second glass. By then I had finished my leftover chicken thighs and cauliflower mashed potatoes. The Monbousquet was better with the food. Lucie is still not drinking, so I'll fridge the remainder of the bottle and retry tomorrow. Maybe the wine is just too young and the oak will integrate in time, but I will be surprised if this happens. stefan 83.
AKR

Re: 2003 Monbousquet

Post by AKR »

Scary as it may sound, that was probably better younger.

Time hasn't been an ally of the 2003 right banks in general.

Monbousquet is a wine that to show Napa fans that there is a spectrum of styles in Bordeaux.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I've heard that Monbo's style became more extremely starting with the 2003 vintage. I've had the 1999, 2000 and 2001 several times each (though it's been a while), and though definitely Californian in inclination, I've always really enjoyed it.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Sad. At the same time, Monbousquet has never trigger any buying sentiment on my side.

Remind me the 2003 Péby Faugères, and this is bad souvenir...

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Bill,

Don't give up. 2003 Mombo was over oaked with strong empyremetics that I found off putting. I'm on side with Blanquito that the 99 and 2000 were lovely feminine style wines so I bought a case each of the 09 & 10. Tried one bottle of the 09 and I don't think I'll be disappointed 5-10 years from now when I'll dip back in. Great nose at this time but tannins and oak need to tame down some more.

Nic ,I don't see the Peby Fugeres comparison. Peby very much in your face with extraction,sweetness,oak and alcohol. Get a much more sexy feel from Mombo closer to la Dominique or lArrose. Not in the power line up of many other St Emillion.

Danny
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

I liked the 98, 99, 00 but they are modern, international in style. good quality. but not in the Figeac, Soutard, Canon type of molds.

the latter wines are ones that generally I wouldn't pour for random people who don't know bdx.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Sorry Dstgolf, I was not comparing Monbousquet to Péby Faugères "in general", but more the "modernized over oaked" 2003 Monbousquet of stefan, to the "modernized over oaked" 2003 Péby Faugères that Nicklasss had a few years ago.

Nic