TN: 00 Clos Saint Julien [St Emilion]

AKR

TN: 00 Clos Saint Julien [St Emilion]

Post by AKR »

00 Clos Saint Julien [St Emilion] Despite the name, this is a St. Emilion, and this was its debut vintage. Purchased EP, served cool over two days. 12.5% abv. Has an informative Jeff Davies label, so one can learn about all the exhaustive efforts the owners put into this half cab franc, half merlot blend from a vineyard next to Soutard. Unfined and unfiltered so we did get some gritty sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I really enjoyed this and it's at a wonderful spot on its curve. I don't think it has peaked already (the last time I had one was a year ago) but on the second day this time, it was even better. It shows creme de cassis on the nose; tannins are well resolved on the palate, and not really any lightening. Palate doesn't scream cab franc driven St Em -- like its neighbors -- but its smooth, creamy, an A- in my ledger. Tiny production wine, not readily available, but based on this, I would try anything of theirs. It's minerality reminds me of Moulin St Georges.

It has aged very well, so I won't worry too much about these.
AKR

Re: TN: 00 Clos Saint Julien [St Emilion]

Post by AKR »

We polished off another bottle of the 2000 Clos St Julien [St Emilion] last night with sous vide strip steak, hashbrowns, and a butter lettuce salad. The wine was singing and the SO was slugging it back! I see the 2015 is/was being sold in the US en primeur, but has become a $50 price point wine. If the 2015 is as good/better than the 2000, its still fairly priced. Despite what the label suggests -- to drink by age ten -- this has not declined and remains youthful and vibrant. I still pick up a touch of oak, although the wife didn't detect any. I'll revalidate the A- grade, and not worry about it peaking or tipping over. A confusing estate name, but a lovely wine!

As mentioned in the original post, even though there's lots of Cab Franc here, it doesn't particularly show C-F or anything.