2004 Lynch Bages

AlexR

2004 Lynch Bages

Post by AlexR »

We enjoyed two 2004s last night.

The Moët & Chandon vintage was attractive and ready to drink.

The Lynch Bages might conceivably be a little better in a couple of years, but we were decidedly underwhelmed.
The nose was not so much closed as lacking depth and complexity. Some of the Pauillac markers were there, particularly blackcurrant, but where was the magic?
The palate was better, but fairly one-dimensional and had a bit of an acid sting on the end.

This was certainly a decent Pauillac, but fell far short of what we expected from this famous fifth growth.

It is said of Mouton Rothschild that it is a wine that can be superlative or ho-hum, depending on the vintage.
I'm beginning to think this is true of Lynch Bages as well.

Best regards,
Alex R.
JimHow

Re: 2004 Lynch Bages

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the report Alex.
The 1996 Lynch I had last night was pretty good -- better than a couple other bottles I've had from the same case -- but it was nothing special. It was still pretty youthful but it doesn't seem like it is going to improve and it had an unpleasant little bite at the finish. Still, it was good. I'd give it 91ish. But nothing like the 95-97 I expected from this wine in its youth.
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

I had a 1995 Mouton in 2005 and it was completely closed. I've avoided ten-year-old bordeaux ever since.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I agree. It is the opposite of human, Bordeaux are better when teenager.

I remember having the 2004 Lynch and Purple Baron in 2010 in Seattle, with le Roi de Mouton and JohnB, and the Purple Baron was the netter wine then.

Nic
jckba

Post by jckba »

The thing is the 2004 Lynch Bages is just a boring wine and with the prices it is fetching now a days I think you are better off cashing in and buying something else.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Is Lynch losing the plot especially in the new millennium? I still have a 86, 89, couple of 96, few 05, 08 and 09. I know 08 is good if not great, and 09 is excellent right behind purple baron, but seems like 02, 03, 04, 06, 11, 12, et al are all below its potential...And I was a bit disappointed with 10 as well, considering the vintage...
AKR

Post by AKR »

Who is buying this estate in recent vintages? I don't get the sense that Americans are buying as much?

Perhaps the Cazes have convinced Asians to load up.

Sort of like Beychevelle. A wine that one would often trip over in tastings 20 years ago.

But now odder to see.

Of course back then Pontet Canet was not so popular. Now it seems to have displaced many other Pauillacs in peoples affection, and cellars.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lynch Bages sucks.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Save your scheckles and just drink d'armailhac! !

My buddy just popped the '01 the other day...said it was smokin'
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Reading Alex's report I was depressed but not surprised.

Lynch-Bages is a bit like Brazil. Do you remember the Brics? Well it is lights out for all of them now except India, which is a bright light in a dismal firmament.

The BRiCs were once the darling of the investment community now the villain (well actually we here on BWE are in front of the curve, the rest of the world will catch up with us - just as TBD was ahead of the curve on the 89 Lynch).

But Lynch Bages is now like Michael Lewis's 'The Big Short' I would go long a basket of Leoville-Barton (under-rated), LLC (FG quality) against it.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I guess all the money is being spent on building a new winery. Don't know it will reap any dividends in terms of quality, but the estate now needs better direction rather than a pompous building...
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

For those of us on the BWE tour this year, I must say I was disappointed with the reception at Lynch Bages.

It may have been due to an unusual combination of circumstances, but we went from the offer of a meal with JM Cazes to that of a meal with his sister or son, and then that of a super-expensive meal at Cordeillan Bages (the group intelligently decided to decline), to a cursory tour with an intern who was just learning the ropes.

Without considering that the BWEers should have been treated like visiting dignitaries, there was a lot of positive energy about LB before the trip. I think it would have been in everyone's best interest to give us a little more love.

As for the wine, I believe it would be fair to say that many of us have had memorable bottles of Lynch Bages.
And I see no clear period of decline.
It's just that tge estate doesn't seem regular.

I will try to taste another vintage in the near future and report.

Alex R.