DC '16

Tom In DC

Re: DC '16

Post by Tom In DC »

RDD wrote:We did The Palm one time right? It was Rhones I think. And DavidG brought a Sine Qua Non.

Or there was the restaurant where we had dinner with some 89's . Stefan and Jay and David?

But Charlie Palmer does pull it off well.
Rob,

I think we've always had the main event at Charlie Palmer's when we've gathered in DC (thanks again, DavidG - just brilliant!) but we've had Thursday and Friday night dinners all over the place.

Last year's Friday dinner at Bistro Francais on M Street in Georgetown was a terrific venue and tons of fun.

Tom
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I totally agree with what Tom says.
To me, it is a no brainer:
Thursday night: Wherever, depending on who is in town.
Friday night: Bistro Francais
Saturday night: Charlie Palmer's.
If those venues are available, of course.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

JimHow wrote:I totally agree with what Tom says.
That has to be a first, Jim.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Tom In DC wrote:
RDD wrote:We did The Palm one time right? It was Rhones I think. And DavidG brought a Sine Qua Non.

Or there was the restaurant where we had dinner with some 89's . Stefan and Jay and David?

But Charlie Palmer does pull it off well.
Rob,

I think we've always had the main event at Charlie Palmer's when we've gathered in DC (thanks again, DavidG - just brilliant!) but we've had Thursday and Friday night dinners all over the place.

Last year's Friday dinner at Bistro Francais on M Street in Georgetown was a terrific venue and tons of fun.

Tom

I was only mentioning because of marcs remark. I like Charlie Palmers myself.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Ok, I'll do the Friday dinner again but it may not be at Bistro Francais again;however I think Georgetown is a good location. I have another place in mind that might work. All of this, of course, is subject to our BD's approval. I will offer my humble opinion that I think Charlie Palmer dropped the ball last time as I recall people at our table did not get their full meal served, for example. Food wasn't very hot as well.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Why not Bistro Francais Mr. Vino?
I recall everyone really liking that place, plus the owner was really nice.
I don't have any recollection of anything other than friendly A++ service at Charlie Palmer the four times we have been there.
I vote for Bistro Francais on Friday and Charlie Palmer on Saturday.
I don't know why this has to get any more complicated than that.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I have no problem with BF and we can certainly return but there's place closeby that might be a better choice. You'll have to trust me on this. Again, if someone else wants to do Friday, fine with me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Why do you think it is a better choice?
What was deficient in your mind about Francais Bistro?
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Food at BF is just ok and a few people told me their meals weren't that great. The space is a bit cramped as well. As I said, we can go back to BF but the cuisine (also French) at the place I am thinking of is considerably better and they have a private area (which I haven't seen) for dinners.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That's interesting, the group of about 12 of us liked it so much we went back the next two mornings for brunch. I'm very cautious about going to new places. We were burned at that other Friday night venue in DC a few years back.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I kind of like Charlie Palmer. I was at a nice wine dinner there about 3 weeks ago - everything worked out fine. Food is not the most creative but they give you a big space for a whole evening and that is something hard to come by on a Saturday night in DC in tourist season.

I was probably less impressed than some of you by Bistro Francais. Yes, we were treated well and had a good time but I thought the food was pretty ordinary. I think we should at least consider Jay's alternate idea.

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That sounds like a plan, WC, we can go to Bistro Francais for champagne brunch on Saturday morning.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

The other place might not work out. I will contact them soon and see what they have available. I agree with Chris about Charlie Palmer.