Upgrading the 2010 Cantemerle to 98 points.

JimHow

Upgrading the 2010 Cantemerle to 98 points.

Post by JimHow »

I've had this wine probably 15-20 times. It is absolutely stunning. I don't know if it will have the 50 year longevity of a great Chateau Margaux. But it is just so beautifully balanced. It has that Margaux-Lagune-Cantemerle character that is just so distinctive, those Margauxberries, the lightness on its feet, the elegance that belies an underlying structure and power. A beautiful, elegant nose: Not over the top, just so floral, violets, spring flowers. And that purple. Oh, that beautiful purple that exists probably only in that little geographical radius in the world. It may not last 50 years, but it'll drink brilliantly for 20-plus years. $49.99 at MacArthur's. I have 7 more bottles in my cellar, I'm gonna buy AT LEAST another case, probably two. It is traditional but benefits from modern winemaking techniques. If you are expecting a big bad alcoholic Parker wine, spend your money elsewhere. Rating: A super-enthusiastic 98 points.
Attachments
IMG_6426.JPG
IMG_6426.JPG (95.84 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
Blanquito

Re: Upgrading the 2010 Cantemerle to 98 points.

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:I've had this wine probably 15-20 times...
This is awesome.

I think it is actually a real skill to enjoy young wine like this, whereas anyone can appreciate a wine at peak.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, I just love this wine. It just really hits that sweet spot for me. I've had upwards of 20 bottles and not one has disappointed. It has been incredibly consistent. 13%.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Parker liked it a lot as well, giving it 94+ points, calling it "the finest Cantemerle" ever, etc. I think his note pretty much nails it:

"With its 2010, this classified growth located in the southern end of the Medoc may well have made a modern-day version of their legendary 1949. The wine needs a good 7-10 years of cellaring and should keep for 30 more years, but this is the finest Cantemerle I have encountered in my professional career of tasting young vintages (dating back 34 years now). Stunningly deep ruby/purple, with a beautiful nose of spring flowers intermixed with perfumed raspberry and blueberry notes, it exhibits a sort of cool-climate character. Broad, rich and intense on the palate, the wine has plenty of tannins, but they are sweet and well-integrated. Everything is delicately entwined into this beautiful, medium to full-bodied, dense purple wine, which shows stunning character and a prodigious potential for development. This definitely a major sleeper of the vintage and even better than I thought from barrel"
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I quite like that wine too. 98 is a really impressive rating, but i guess you're right Jim, that wine has a superb balance.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I expect I am about the only person in the world who would give this 98 points.
But for me that's what this wine merits! It strikes a perfect balance for me.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I am falling for the temptation. I prefer older bordeaux, but you are not making it easier Jim. May be I will open a split and check out the progress at 5...
AKR

Post by AKR »

I bought some but have yet to try it. I guess I better do so, especially if I want to get more.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I bought some of this a year ago because of the great reviews (and a great price at the time of $43).
I haven't had any yet, but this thread is making me feel really pleased about that purchase!
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:I've had this wine probably 15-20 times. It is absolutely stunning. I don't know if it will have the 50 year longevity of a great Chateau Margaux. But it is just so beautifully balanced. It has that Margaux-Lagune-Cantemerle character that is just so distinctive, those Margauxberries, the lightness on its feet, the elegance that belies an underlying structure and power. A beautiful, elegant nose: Not over the top, just so floral, violets, spring flowers. And that purple. Oh, that beautiful purple that exists probably only in that little geographical radius in the world. It may not last 50 years, but it'll drink brilliantly for 20-plus years. $49.99 at MacArthur's. I have 7 more bottles in my cellar, I'm gonna buy AT LEAST another case, probably two. It is traditional but benefits from modern winemaking techniques. If you are expecting a big bad alcoholic Parker wine, spend your money elsewhere. Rating: A super-enthusiastic 98 points.
I checked my cellar, and I have half a case splits and 4 regulars. I bought the regulars for 34 dollars a pop, and now you are driving up the price!!! If I need more, it would be a pincher...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm nervous for you guys. Remember, my palate is not like yours. Knowing what I know about you guys, I would hold off at least another five years.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ladies and gentlemen voting for the 2015 BWE wine of the year has now closed...joking aside, back-to-back victories to 2010 lefties?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha the Cantemerle would have been this past year's winner but for the fact that the 2005 was a past winner. I've been kind of kicking myself for not picking the 2010 Fleur Cardinale.
DavidG

How do you expect me to resist this temptation?!?

Post by DavidG »

Attachments
How do you expect me to resist this temptation?
How do you expect me to resist this temptation?
dammitjim.png (447.48 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I bought a six pack of the 2010 based on the enthusiasm here. I might have to pick up a bottle from Macs to try. I always say 5 years from vintage can be a good determiner of longevity and overall quality.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Between there are a number of stores selling this for less than MacArthurs

http://m.wine-searcher.com/find/cantemerle/2010/usa
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

For those of you with different palates than Jim, I suggest only trying this right now ITNOS. I has the 2010 Cantemerle in June of 2014 as part of a big vertical, and I had a hard time getting a read on it (as I do with most young Bordeaux). It had impressive raw materials but it was primary and grapey to my simple palate. Of course, a big vertical is probably not the best place to give a young wine a fair shake.

FWIW, here's my tasting note:
Double decanted 7 hours before tasting... Tight bouquet showing some new oak. The palate is really fleshy with tarry notes and big, soft, round tannins. This was monolithic and came across as too creamy despite some ample acidity. Not sure how to read this, but stylistically it seems like an outlier, only similar to the 09 Cantemerle. Score based on current consumption only: 87pts (?)

I would emphasize that my score was only for drinking Right Now. I am confident in this wine's ultimate excellence, I just couldn't divine what (and when) this will be in its sinewy youth.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

For another data point on drinking window, Parker says 2020-2050. Which seems in line with Blanquito's recommendation. And suggests that Jim should be loving it now.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote:For another data point on drinking window, Parker says 2020-2050. Which seems in line with Blanquito's recommendation. And suggests that Jim should be loving it now.
2020 is the soonest I'll check in again, and I have a lot of this.

But I think 94 pts or there about is where this beauty will end up.

I'm enjoying the 89 Cantemerle tonight, so lovely. If the 2010 ends up equaling the 1989, I'll be a happy camper.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Had this at release but I was probably more around 91-92points...now I may be forced to check in on its evolution
tim

Post by tim »

BWE enablement hits again. Just picked up two cases plus a half case of splits....
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I see this got two "stunningly"/"stunning" but zero "pure"/"purity".

I thought the 2010 Cantemerle and the 2010 Talbot were two peas in a pod although I did not drink them side by side.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Is "lightness on its feet" a characteristic of "purity"? I say yes.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Dammit Jim. Just arrived in Montreal and popped into the SAQ downtown at Les Ailes on St Catherine. I'm sure Nic has dragged you into the Signature store downstairs during your visit(s) in the past. There before my eyes was a stack of cases... 2010 Cantemerle ringing my recent memory of Jim's recent thread reporting 98pts and the wine listed at $50 cdn/bottle with a 10% discount today so $45 not too bad considering that is ~ $30-35USD. I'll try it next week ITNOS when we return. A little unsettling seeing Blanquito's low ball rating of 87pts so I guess there is a definite difference in palate here and I suspect Jim is more used to fleshing through those young tannins better than most!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very nicely done indeed Danny!
That's a nice price, it's going for $50+ in the US.
Decant it for an hour before drinking.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Great price, Danny! It's not often that you can buy more cheaply in Canada than in the USA.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Quebec SAQ often has some reasonable pricing for French wines. Yes it can be the exception but they had the cheapest futures offering in the world for the 2000s. Sadly this has never been repeated and more sadly I didn't realize it at the time ordering. My friend bought cases of first/second growths and did better than buy one get one free by selling the majority of his stock last year. Both the buyer and seller both felt they had a very good deal.
Danny
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

Zachys just sent an email that the 2010 Cantemerle is "on sale" for $48.99.
Not a bad price.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It's a Chateau Margaux clone for under $50.
For those of you who don't like young Bordeaux, however, I recommend that you not drink it now.
It is an RMP94/BD98 effort.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

The other day, ITNOS I tried 2010 cantemerle from a split. I am not an expert in judging a young wine, but I was impressed because of the balance it had. The tannins, fruit and the body are in really good balance in this young wine. I think, it will rival the 89 in it's own way. What I was pleased about the most was its low alcohol level compared to others of the same vintage.

Did not decant, but uncorked and left open for an hour or so. The nose was inviting with scents of cassis and violets. On the palate, concoction of black fruit layered with cherry. Medium bodied with elegance and round texture. Barely felt any heat at all. When I tried 2010 Poujeaux, I liked a lot but would have preferred lower alcohol. 2010 Poujeaux is a terrific wine. This 2010 cantemerle IMO topped that with its elegance + low alcohol level that I prefer. It's a beauty...

Again, I am no expert, but in my books, this will score around 93 or 94. But I reckon, it will rival the 89..I purchased the regular for under 40 bucks, but at 42 buck sale price, this needs to have a place in your cellar...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

well done, CV.
It's a really beautiful Bordeaux wine at a decent price.