An unusual 2005 Bordeaux and some other

Nicklasss

An unusual 2005 Bordeaux and some other

Post by Nicklasss »

2005 Chateaux des Annereaux, Bordeaux supérieur, composed of merlot and petit verdot. I guess that last one dominates the wine, even if i don't know how much % of the blend. Old red, nose is very black, with BLACKberries, tar, BLACKpepper, and more ashes. Mouth is very masculine, tannic, Black prunes, blackberries, earthy, with some burned oak, and a long final of tar. Not for the light heart. A very austere Bordeaux, but hey, i kinda liked it for the unusual unexpected character. Tn: 85.

2010 Bodegas Latue, tempranillo reserva La Mancha: noble oaky nose. New wood, vanilla. In mouth, better and more complex. Wood like in the Glenfiddich New Oak 14 years, but also some roasted soil and dark berries character. Oaky finish. More seductive than the Bordeaux, and with air, grapey tones. Tn: 86.

2009 Château Bastor Lamontagne, cool, , peaches, honey, açacia flowers. Mouth is sweet, but balanced, young, dry apricots, quince, white honey, light bitter botritys on the final, vanilla. Very good, and seem better than some other vintages. Tn:89.

Nic
AKR

Re: An unusual 2005 Bordeaux and some other

Post by AKR »

Interesting wines. I've not had any recent vintages of Bastor Lamontagne.

2005 seems like a good year to be drinking now.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Châteaux des Anneraux is in Lalande-de-Pomerol, so this is probably just outside the appellation Bordeaux.
It has 80% Merlot and 20% Petit Verdot which is rather high.
I'm surprised the wine was on the austere side.

Bastor Lamontagne has long been considered here the Sauternes equivalent of a "cru bourgeois exceptionnel", but the earth has never moved for me...
It was recently bought by a partnership including the Cathiards of SHL and the Moulin family of Galeries Lafayette, along with the other estates (Beauregard and Saint-Robert).

Alex R.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks first those info Alex.

20% petit verdot is very high. I guess this is what dominates the wine At the moment.

For Bastor Lamontagne, it is an affordable Sauternes here, and I sample it often. That 2009 was excellent for the estate, an hope this is a trigger for the future, but hopping also that it will stay At the same price...

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

20% petit verdot?! that's extraordinary.

Maybe in a super ripe vintage it can work.

With new ownership I wouldn't be surprised to see B-L make some efforts to increase concentration, and presumably adjust the price.

Of course consumers need to agree with that too, and as Y'quem shows, the secondary trading of their wines do not support the producers "new & improved" post 2005 pricing.

Is it La Tour Blanche which is also trying the same thing right now?