1979 Pichon Lalande

Chateau Vin

1979 Pichon Lalande

Post by Chateau Vin »

It was a dry couple of months for me in S Cal literally and also wine wise for me without my cellar. It's finally feels good to receive the shipment of wines after the move from the midwest to west coast. I know I mentioned that I would open 2010 cantemerle split, but when I saw slight wet capsule of 79 PLL, I thought It's time to pop it lest if might be a seepage...

So I opened 79 PLL tonight. Just popped and poured. This is why I like old bordeaux without the new world excess...Wonderful bouquet of strong lead pencil and earth. Hint of cassis and cherries. The nose remained strong throughout. On the palate, nice acidity, silky sweet tamnins albeit fading fruit. Nice showing considering 36 years of age. I liked the overall balance in this traditionally crafted bordeaux...A solid 90...
AlexR

Re: 1979 Pichon Lalande

Post by AlexR »

79 was a sleeper vintage I always liked.

A true Bordeaux vintage, what is called an "Atlantic" one here i.e. the températures were relatively cool and, yes, there was some rain, but not to excess.
Lets Cabernet, especially, express the terroir really well.
And the wines are lively and digestible.

Alex R.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I really liked that wine too, At the 2014 DC BWE convention.

If I look your rating of 90, and Jim's rating of 98 for the 2010 Cantemerle, i guess this define well "palate difference", and I'll be looking forward your rating of the 2010 Cantemerle.

For my part, having had the two, i rate them 93-94, but of course both wine has a different style.

Nic
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Nic,

I bought this lone bottle at winebid, and don't know the provenance. Moreover, the cork and capsule were wet, staining my fingers. So concerned about seepage, I decided to open. May be the wine is shell shocked with all the travel a week ago from the midwest to S Cal... Actually, I initially gave a 91, but pulled back a bit as the fruit started to fade and expected a bit more tertiary notes. Few years back, I think it would have been even better and considering the bottle condition, I would agree with you Nic on your rating of 93-94. A solid old school bordeaux that was crafted with nice balance. I am still having the lead pencil and sweet silky tannins hangover...Yummy...I drank the whole bottle by myself watching Texas size college football beat down of Texas... :)

Barring few estates, new world wines for me now a days are nothing but unidimensional, fruity alcoholic monsters. I am eager to try especially 2005 and 2010 when they are ready...ITNOS, will open a split 2010 Cantemerle. But ITNOS, last year I had 2010 Poujeaux from a split, and it was a dynamite...
AKR

Post by AKR »

Sounds nice.