2009 Ch. Julia and 2000 Ch. Cantemerle

AlexR

2009 Ch. Julia and 2000 Ch. Cantemerle

Post by AlexR »

2009 Château Julia (Pauillac)

Yes, this wine is made by a woman, but the château is not named after her. In fact, it’s a contraction of her two children’s two first names.
This is Sophie Martin’s first vintage on a miniscule estate (0.62 hectares), the smallest in Pauillac. Just 4,200 bottles a year are produced.
Château Julia is also unusual in that it is made 90% from Merlot.

This 2009 Julia would stump any blind taster.
The color is deep and lovely and there are thick legs on the glass. The nose is simple, sweet, and rich, with overtones of candied black fruit and roast coffee beans. However, it’s on the palate that this wine is most unusual. Its richness and high Merlot content make it like no other Pauillac. It is very soft and unctuous with seemingly low acid. Certainly, I would have taken this for a Pomerol or Lalande-de-Pomerol if served blind! There are blackberry jelly nuances and a very voluptuous side to this wine not far from its peak. There is also some tannic grip on the finish to finally reflect Julia’ Médoc roots. A good, atypical wine, and one to confound people who think they know Bordeaux…

2000 Cantemerle, Haut-Médoc

Wine from this large, 94-hectare vineyard (91 in production) never disappoints, even if it rarely reaches the heights.
There has been a rash of Cantemerle sighings on BWE lately, so I thought I would add my 2 cents :-).

C: fine medium-deep core with a brown rim
N: Soft and fresh with some mushroom and earthy nuances as well as beeswax and subtle cherry, coffee, and pipe tobacco notes. This having been said, the bouquet is relatively low profile.
T: The earthiness comes through on the palate as well. Medium-light body and the 30% Merlot makes its presence known. Although the wine falls down somewhat on the middle palate, it asserts itself more on the finish with fine-textured tannin. 2000 Cantemerle is largely ready to drink and I’d give it a solid 14/20.

Best regards,
Alex R.
JimHow

Re: 2009 Ch. Julia and 2000 Ch. Cantemerle

Post by JimHow »

I've never heard much buzz about the 2000 Cantemerle. 1989, 2005, and 2010 seem to be standouts. 2009 is a beauty too.