TN: 09 d'Escurac [Medoc]

AKR

TN: 09 d'Escurac [Medoc]

Post by AKR »

09 d'Escurac [Medoc] Double decanted a few hours, and lightly chilled. A very big 14.5% abv. Whole bottle finished among 3 of us, with some beef, which wasn't finished, to our dog's glee. Young, primary, and purple/red in hue, full bodied with good legs. Has a nose of cigar pipe smoke and vanilla. Seems to have soaked up a goodly amount of oak. Label says its a blend of half merlot and half CS, but it doesn't come across as particularly left or right bank in nature. Just well made, balanced, lush vintage Bordeaux. Pleasing 30 second finish. I don't think it has the spine to age like a Sociando Mallet, but its right up there with the smaller houses like Charmail, Caronne St. Gemme, Patache d'Aux etc. Lovely drinking in the good years, and keep well enough. I gave it a B+, and as we were half through the bottle, logged on to K&L and ordered a half case. Only $14 and they have lots, as mentioned in the "Deals" thread. Critics liked it too, but I would try it if you can, before buying a bunch. Some might say its modern/intl in style, although not anything extreme (to me at least). I should note it comes in a brown bottle; I don't know why but I love that bottling hue.
AKR

Re: TN: 09 d'Escurac [Medoc]

Post by AKR »

09 d'Escurac [Medoc] Popped and poured while preparing a steak & ale pie. This remains a delightful smaller wine with lots of depth and interest, even at age 13. There are some candied cherry notes now on the palate, which I personally like, but generally don't notice in Medocs. It seems more like a big year St Emilion type of trait. There is still a touch of tannic grip here, maybe that will lighten up on tomorrow. This is holding up well, but still should be consumed in the near term.
This 2009 shows its rich, fruity vintage character
This 2009 shows its rich, fruity vintage character