Newby Making Blackberry Wine

truongthanh

Newby Making Blackberry Wine

Post by truongthanh »

As New as they come to all this so I have an issue I need help with - The SG is already down to 1.005 (Started at 1.090)
And It's only been 3 days after adding Yeast starter.
Started 1 Gallon of Blackberry wine - Wild Blackberrys 4 1/2 lbs 3 1/2 Cups sugar, 1 tsp Acid Blend, 1 tsp Pectin Enzyme - Topped that with Campden crushed and dissolved after I took the SG and Acidity reading
Before I added the Campden tablet the SG was at 1.090 & Acidity 3.9 (Using Litmus tabs for wine)
Held out Yeast Nutrient using it as I was making a Yeast Starter with 1/4 tsp dry yeast 4 oz water 3 1 tablespoon sugar, Pinch of Acid Blend
Mixed Yeast starter same time I put blackberries in bucket with other ingredients - When I uncovered the starter it has nice bubbling action going already

Now I know it can go fermentation can go fast but is there any way this is realistically possible? Or Could the sugar have been absorbed by the blackberry pulp? Checked SG with 2 different Hydrometers. quả óc chó

My concern is that I sealed the bucket overnight when the Campden tablet was put in. (Later reading that shouldn't be done)
I also had the airlock on after I added the yeast. But I have been stirring the mix at least twice a day so it's gotten air.

Once source I later read said NOT to seal during the Campden tablet time or during initial fermentation (What should be going on now)

Has everything gone south on me? The taste of this is definitely not as good at the 2 blueberry batches I started 10 days ago and 6 days ago so I am concerned something is seriously wrong. Help!

UPDATE Posted a summary of the 6 batches I have going now. Hopefully these will make it into "wine" and not become overpriced vinegar (given the Acidity readings I'm getting.) :?
Tom In DC

Re: Newby Making Blackberry Wine

Post by Tom In DC »

Not sure there are any winemakers here that can comment, but you won't end up with vinegar without adding some additional ingredient (acetobacter?)

And if anyone clicks on any of your links they're much braver than I. :o :o :o :o
DavidG

Re: Newby Making Blackberry Wine

Post by DavidG »

I was feeling brave... Nothing I wanted to buy but my iPad is still working.