2010 Brunello Argiano uncorked and other ramblings….

JimHow

2010 Brunello Argiano uncorked and other ramblings….

Post by JimHow »

I've had this a couple times, it is one of my favorite Brunellos and it seems like a strong effort to me in 2010.

We live in interesting times.
Some good baseball this off-season!
Mets v. Cubs. That should be a classic!
Jon Northway et al, you guys must be going wild!
Having spent so much time in NYC in recent years you become aware of how passionate Mets fans are out there.
Myself, I'm pulling for the Blue Jays.
JimHow

Re: 2010 Brunello Argiano uncorked and other ramblings….

Post by JimHow »

This wine has good fruit but is quite acidic, I'll let it have a little more air.

I've gotten the old political juices flowing here in Maine in recent weeks, an Op-Ed I wrote for the Bangor Daily News defending the Sixth Amendment has generated quite a bit of attention in the legal community up here:

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/10/07/o ... OpinionBox

So many battles to fight!
It is a constant battle.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Air will help some, BD, but ten years will help more.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I had this a couple of months back and it gained steam after the 2 hour mark in the decanter ...
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim, the Windy City is pretty pumped about the Cubs, and I think for good reason. People keep saying they are 1-2 years ahead of plan, and that may be true. But they seem to have a chemistry (can you say "Joe Maddon?") that works for a team with a lot of youthful players. That said, the Mets are also an exciting team. I watched part of the game on Thursday night and watched LA consistently getting runners on base and then watching deGrom keep pitching them out of it. That was a truly gutsy pitching performance. I hope it's a great series - a classic 7-game nail-biter. The fans of both teams deserve it.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 1999 brunellos are drinking well these days.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes jckba it definitely improves with air. It's still young, even for me. Question is, though, does Brunello get substantially better with age? Different, yes, softened, perhaps, but better?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, Brunello gets better with age, Jim, but is more approachable than Bordeaux when it is young. The 2007s are good now and will develop more complexity in a few years. 2006 is another good year for Brunello, but most need further age.

I'm glad you are beginning to like Brunello. It is arguably the most Bordeaux-like of the wines that do not contain Bordeaux varietals.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

To my lingering surprise, I've become a fan of many Super Tuscans especially those that just blend Sangiovese with Cabernet. And you can often pick these up quite reasonably on auction with 10-15 years of age on them. Like Stefan says, these can be quite Bordeaux-like but with a nice bit of Italy too.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

mrs vino stated a few years after being served a Brunello: I like this! So, mr vino in his never ending pursuit of wine that mrs vino enjoys began stockpiling Brunellos. I was lucky in that the 2006 vintage was being offered and so I picked up a few as well as the earlier drinking 2007s. I know very little about Italian wines so have relied on vendor recs i.e board member Dan Posner and the few 2006s I've tried, while not ready (like the Father says), were enjoyable. I've bought a few 2010s as it's supposed to be the "VINTAGE OF THE CENTURY" but haven't tried any. Very food friendly wines, a big plus in my book!