2015 vintage in Bordeaux - my early assumption!

greatbxfreak

2015 vintage in Bordeaux - my early assumption!

Post by greatbxfreak »

My 15th harvest, all different harvest with different weather conditions, technology, will it be wrong to say that I'm entitled to issue a very early assumption, how 2015 will be? Personally I don't think so.

Here it is:

2015 VINTAGE LOOKS EXTREMELY PROMISING, SOMETHING LIKE 2005 OR 2010, ESPECIALLY IN SAINT EMILION AND POMEROL, HOPEFULLY ON THE LEFT BANK TOO!

After cold and rainy winter + rainy and rather cold spring, good weather came in May and assured almost perfect flowering which finished in the beginning of June, copious, zero diseases and perfect weather. Only old Merlot had some minor problems. July was hot and almost dry with temperatures reaching over 40 degrees Celsius. Bordeaux needed some substantial amount of rain after that heatwave. Some rain fell during in the end of July, app. 16 mm. On the 8th August St.Emilion got 26 mm and several mm of rain fell on 12th August). This was very welcomed by vines.

By the end of August harvest of "white" has been ongoing for at least one week and many growers had finished harvesting their Sauvignon Blanc. This wasn't the case for Domaine de Chevalier, who finished harvesting Sauvignon Blanc week after (beginning of September). The quality of white dry Bordeaux is said to be staggering with concentrated and very aromatic grapes, and surprisingly much acidity, however at lower level than in 2014.

For precisely a month (12th August to 12th September) Bordeaux enjoyed perfect sunny and warm weather, which made 2015 vintage look like million dollars! Some rain but not excessively much fell during weekend of 11-13th September and through the next four days, mostly in Pauillac and Saint-Estephe (around 80-100 mm). half of it in Graves/Pessac Leognac and significantly less on Right Bank. Then beautiful weather lasting until 2nd October!

Arrived at Bordeaux on the 28th September, beautiful weather, sunny, blue skies, no wind, 25 degrees C, everything is looking perfect, excellent weather forecast until Saturday, at Ch. Seguin in Canejan, small CS grapes, 14 percent alcohol in Merlot, sweet tannins, this is looking more and more like blend of 2005 and 2009. The trend continues - 1945-55-75-85-95-2005 and now 2015, another trend is 2000-2005-2010 and 2015. Paradise!

Sunny weather until yesterday evening (2nd October), light thunderstorm this morning (3rd October), quite some rain since during weekend (2-3-4th October). Rain fell mostly in Bordeaux and on Left Bank. Indifferent weather then with rainy spells on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th October. I left Bordeaux on the 7th October.

Quality of grapes is astonishing all over the place. On Right Bank and especially in Saint-Emilion they're finished with harvesting their Merlot, and finished harvesting their Cabernet Franc in the beginning of October, weather was perfect. On Left Bank, majority of properties are done with harvest of their Cabernet Franc/Sauvignon and Petit Verdot. Many properties there have safely brought in their Merlot. Good weather predicted until mid-October, sunny, not that warm during the day and cold nights.

All grape varietes are providing small and concentrated grapes with thick skins, brown shoots (arms of vines on where grapes are growing) and brown seeds, which tells us vineyards are in perfect balance with perfect maturity. Merlot won't probably reach the same alcohol levels as in 2009 and 2010, but some places Cabernet Franc surpassed 12% potential alcohol and Petit Verdot 14% potential alcohol. Tannin won't be as fat and concentrated as in 2010.We will know more in January 2016 after malolactic fermentation is over, but already now is it more than obvious, that 2015 will be a great vintage, clearly surpassing 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011. For the moment Right Bank look a winner, and it remains to be seen, how rain did affect harvest on Left Bank in mid-September and beginning of October. My guess is that 2015 is agonizingly close to 2005 vintage with some characteristics of 2010 and 2009 vintage. Sweetness of 2009, concentration of 2010 and tannins of 2005.

Some info from Francois Mitjavile (Tertre Roteboeuf and Roc de Cambes):

"Just to say lot of great growths harvested in first weeks of October…Even Ausone, generally harvesting early, had not yet harvested, on 5th of Oct !! Same for Troplong Mondot, La Mondotte, and so on…Figeac has not yet finished today its…merlots ! Close to 2005 with some characteristics 2010-2009, yes it seems, but…let’s see, such a surprising vintage I don’t really understand now....."

Funny to understand, as everybody in Bordeaux predicted early harvest...., I believe this vintage will be one of the kind and will further surprise us. For the record, TR's harvest was over last Saturday and Roc de Cambes' yesterday. Ausone finished harvest on 15th October and Angelus one day before. Both harvested during one month as did several properties on the Left Bank!! Valandraud will finish their Cabernet Sauvignon on Monday or Tuesday next week (19th or 20th October). A real "vendange tardive"!

One of these long harvesting Left Bankers is Domaine Chevalier and Olivier Bernard told me when I called him on the 15th October - "We were not in hurry and we had time to wait for perfect ripeness of our red grape varietes. We expected some rain during harvest and got it but it neither did any damage in the vineyard, nor was influential to disturb final harvest days. This one month long harvest made tannins extremely fine grained and cool nights assured grapes keeping aromas inside. 2015 vintage looks just wonderful, it's too early to say now what we have in our hands, but if I've to compare to another vintage with same characteristics, I would say 2005."

Whites are stunning, probably less concentrated than 2014, and compared to vintage 2007. Sweet whites harvest isn't over yet, but what they have in their cellars right now looks extremely promising!
Nicklasss

Re: 2015 vintage in Bordeaux - my early assumption!

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for these info.

It will be interesting to see the prices. I did not bought a lot of red Bordeaux futures in 2011 to 2014. But if these preliminary evaluations are true, it will be interesting to See how a vintage "similar to 2005", will be prices today.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Could it be a .... vintage of the century !?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

The trend I see is BWE visits 2005 and 2015.....guess what influence we've had in the region?...two of the greatest vintages of all time! Maybe they should pay us to return the next time??? :D
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

We knew several weeks ago it is a great vintage. That is old news Izak.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Comte Flaneur,

Really?

Your comment's not kind.

Who is "we"? If it's you, why didn't you comment progress of the 2015 on your own blog?

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that many informations included in my article you could find on the net, but of course not what rains in the middle of September did to grapes, personal info from winemakers and own observations.

It's easy to sit on chair in the front of computer, not being in the middle of the vineyard and critisize other people doing research for free.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Izack,

Great report and knowing a little bit about Comte`s sense of humour I don`t think that it translated over the thread as he expected. I suspect he was referring to us witnessing the great weather ourselves on the BWE adventure to Bordeaux and listenning to the owners/winemakers optimism about the weather they had to date and what they hoped would come. I think Ian however should answer for himself but I suspect that it was a little British tongue & cheek!! Personally I appreciate your review and sorry you felt offended by comments taken likely out of context (hopefully).
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, GBF, I think he was just giving you the business, he wasn't being mean….
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Hi Izak

I did predict that the 2015 vintage would be the greatest ever on this forum a couple of months ago based on an empirical analysis of the weather, astrology, some samples taken on the tour - when I was genuflecting at Chateau Latour and felt the soil wistfully crumbling through my fingers - conversations with winemakers and critics. In fact I think I was the first person to call it.

Actually Danny and Jim are right, I was just pulling your leg after reading your admonition of Alex for not giving you credit for nailing the 1985 Domaine De Chevalier. I am an amateur psychologist so I couldn't help myself. I would have been surprised had you reacted differently.

For the record I find your reports insightful and valuable. You are a great asset to this community. If you read the Canada election thread you will realise that you should not take everything I say as verbatim.

Atb

Isn
AKR

Post by AKR »

The only question is could this be greater than 61? or 82? or 90? or 05 or 09?

it's like looking at a young Barry Bonds, where there are no limits, not even normal human genetic ones.

Perhaps Vintage of the Millenia is more appropros than a mere vintage of the century.

We should all be grateful to Comte for observing this so early.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Comte Flaneur,

OK, you're forgiven, no bad feelings.

Didn't notice you wrote about 2015 already in May. I actually was in Bx during Vinexpo and already then winemakers had been extremely optimistic about prospects of great vintage. I saw this excellent flowering then.

Concerning dinner at Domaine de Chevalier, I've a witness concerning me guessing vintage of these two whites we started with at dinner. Olivier Bernard's wife, Anne Bernard. She said bravo twice (vintage and right origin).

Taking notes during dinner isn't a sin. Never heard and wasn't confronted of chateau owner or VIPs complaining about taking notes during dinner!

AKR,

You can't compare 2015 to 1961, 1982 and to 1990, different wine technology now and then. More or less 2005 is imho the likely outcome of 2015, while comparison with 2009 is only regarding sweetness, not alcohol and not the overseas style of 2009. Because of the long harvest and cold nights tannins had time to ripen perfectly and obtain this fine grained taste and this is very similar to 2005. Concentration of flavors is for me similar to 2010.
Another thing we'll see in 2015 is even more typicity of a given chateau than usual, more character of the soil and work of a winemaker. Also showing in wine who harvested when, before the last rain or after last rain in the beginning of October in same district. There will be differences, that's for sure, even between neighboring chateaux. Many properties have used optical machines in 2015, some places I saw a machine rejecting grapes weighing too little and also heard of machine throwing out grapes with low alcohol.

2015 will be an exceptional vintage, but we will know much more in January next year.
Last edited by greatbxfreak on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I don't buy vintages anymore, just forex. Speaking of trends, how's the USD/EUR looking? Will things align so I can afford a case of something decent?
AKR

Post by AKR »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:I don't buy vintages anymore, just forex. Speaking of trends, how's the USD/EUR looking? Will things align so I can afford a case of something decent?
EUR has had a bit of a 'rally' the last few months. Like you, I do hope the USD continues to strengthen.
marcs

Post by marcs »

years divisible by 5 have all been good to great for over 20 years now, so I would expect the trend to continue.

1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, 2010...

You might even want to include 1985
AKR

Post by AKR »

45, 50, 70, 75 were good/great too.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Yesterday, I finished my article about 2015 harvest in Bordeaux + impressions from visits at 22 properties. At some there wasn't any wines tasted, at others plenty.

The article is long, so have patience. Nice reading.

Btw, many pictures in article are taken with my expensive camera, Olympus OM-D-E10. Worth money all the way because of the spectacular depth in the pictures.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Great review and pictures Izak. 2015 looks like a stellar vintage and your personal touch brought back BWE memories of Springtime in Bordeaux with many friends. Thanks for taking the time and effort on your site and sharing it with us. Much appreciated.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

Enthusiasts wait with bated breath to see what Comte Flaneur will rate this vintage -- will it receive the never before awarded *110* pts?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great report as always Izak. Love the pictures too.

Nothing anyone says or does will get me to buy a single bottle of 2015 Bordeaux.

There.

I said it.

Now all I have to do is back it up over the next 3 years.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Good Luck David. You are weaker than I and I'm on record that you won't/can't resist the 5th vintage of the century in the last 15 years. This could be the magic that everyone has waited for since 82,61,45,29 for.... 2015 the Holy Grail of Wine! There now I know that you will be back here telling us about the lesser wines,right bank,a few select chateau etc that you couldn't resist and you'll be blaming it on who??
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nice report Izak, and superb pictures, especially of those magnificent grapes.

Arv, clearly this vintage will set a new benchmark for bordeaux, and make 2005 look pedestrian by comparison. We will have to invent new words in the English language to describe just how magnificent these wines are going to be.

Izak you had more pictures of grapes than of the women of Bordeaux - a first for you. Anabelle Cruse is looking well.

Unlike David and like Danny I won't be able to resist buying at least one case of 2015 Bordeaux, probably Beychevelle, just looking at those grapes is sufficient for me. I hope to taste a few tomorrow.