TN: 1982 Sociando Mallet

Blanquito

TN: 1982 Sociando Mallet

Post by Blanquito »

1982 Château Sociando-Mallet
Classic, lovely nose of fresh mint, chewing gum, menthol, cedar and earth. Good midpalate density and a very nice savory, cedary finish. With enough air, the famed Sociando bell pepper makes an appearance (it tastes more like a fire-roasted poblano to me). Fantastic steak wine. Lean and a little mean, but still going strong. Another excellent bottle of this. 92 pts.

Appreciating (and forecasting) young wine is a skill. I'm starting to think this is true for older, delicate wines too, as some folks I know would have found this wine tired/dried-up when to me it was nuanced, interesting, etc.
Last edited by Blanquito on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Re: TN: 1982 Sociando Mallet

Post by AKR »

Had this from mag a few years ago, was still quite strong. That being said, not sure I'd wait if I had any left.

Stateside, Sociando Mallet's from the 70's are crazy expensive and hard to find.
Blanquito

Re: TN: 1982 Sociando Mallet

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote:Had this from mag a few years ago, was still quite strong. That being said, not sure I'd wait if I had any left.

Stateside, Sociando Mallet's from the 70's are crazy expensive and hard to find.
I agree, my last bottle of this was 2 years ago and that one had a bit more depth. Last night's bottle had a good cork and a fill into the neck, so it was clearly well treated through the years (I bought from WineBid last year).

Speaking of which, I occasionally see S-M from the 70's there, including a 1979 in the current weekly auction:
https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/53 ... ndo-Mallet