TN: 05 Messile Aubert [Montagne St Emilion]

AKR

TN: 05 Messile Aubert [Montagne St Emilion]

Post by AKR »

05 Messile Aubert [Montagne St Emilion] Purchased EP, and discovered recently. 13% abv according to the label. Still dark in coloration. Has a nose of oak and Starbucks fancy 400 calorie coffee confection. Opened and served over two days. It's showing one dimensional fruit, and despite ten years of aging, hasn't developed noticeable complexity. Likely was better shortly after release, although this is my first experience with the estate. The SO, on the second day, shifted to Ernest Rapeneau NV champers instead of this, which was her silent vote. So I had more than my fair share while prepping a potato galette. I enjoy oak, but there's a lot here, and ten years doesn't seem to have incorporated it well. I get about ten seconds of finish, which still has a shade of tannin. Some licorice and Christmas spice on the palate. I would not go out of my way to buy/cellar this again, but to be fair, I would not blink over drinking this at a wine bar or off a wine list, if it was fairly priced. The SO thinks that this is why there is a real difference between the AOC of St Emilion and her satellites. I don't know, I won't get fussed about it. I'd give this a B- or so. If you have any, give it a whirl sooner rather than later. I think fans of New World / Modern wines would enjoy, irrespective of critic's reviews.
============
My back is complaining, but I spent a hour plus at my off site storage unit today, prying out forgotten items, and putting away things from shipping season deliveries. Brought home nothing but Bordeaux, so looking forward to enjoying more of the regions wines (and posting notes) now that cooler weather, and the food to pair, are in alignment.
AKR

Re: TN: 05 Messile Aubert [Montagne St Emilion]

Post by AKR »

fell apart on day 3. seems like this estate is better young.