2002 Sociando Mallet, Ben Carson, Roger Goodell, 1986 Series

JimHow

2002 Sociando Mallet, Ben Carson, Roger Goodell, 1986 Series

Post by JimHow »

Sipping on a beautiful 2002 Sociando Mallet. Mmm. 1988-like. Just beautiful raspberry, cedar, classy stuff.
So now Ben Carson leads in the polls. And Marco, Jeb, and the other "establishment" candidates in single digits. These monsters that the Republicans have created. Where will it all lead to? I still think it's going to be between Bush and Rubio when all is said and done.
You know, when we think of gangsters, we think of 1940s movies, and Jimmy Cagney, and Robert Vaughn, and the like. But they can also look like Roger Goodell. This guy is a crook. He is pathological. His league is vile. The sport itself is wonderful. But this group of billionaire egos are mentally ill. They are determined to go to the ends of the earth to smear Brady, a stand up guy. I predicted early on in this mess that the league would have egg on its face before this is all over and I still believe that, but I have to admit that the pathology of these gangsters is a little scary.
It may be a New England thing more than anything else, but there is a poignant beauty to the fall, the Fall Classic, to the metaphor of the final burst of life before the death of winter. Thus it was around this time in 1986 when, after two quick outs in the bottom of the tenth in Shea, a sequence of events unfolded that was so bizarre, so strange, that many of us in the six state region believed for years afterwards that a supernatural force… a "curse," if you will… was at work….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbnQ9Ph113g

The horror…. The horror.
Blanquito

Re: 2002 Sociando Mallet, Ben Carson, Roger Goodell, 1986 Series

Post by Blanquito »

I watched that game 6 in 1986, rooting for the Mets... and I tell you, Buckner is what everyone remembers, but for the Mets fans, the key moment was Calvin Schiraldi's wild pitch that allowed the Mets to tied up the game. We had been down to our final out with no one on base, came back to tie it up from the brink of doom and the rest was gravy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha everyone remembers that as Shiraldi's "wild pitch."
Indeed, it was Schiraldi who really choked it up, after getting two quick outs.
As a matter of fact, though, it was Stanley who threw the inside pitch to Mookie that tied it up.
And even though they scored it a wild pitch, Gedman should have had it.
I was in "The Rat" in Kenmore Square in Boston.
We were in ecstasy. Decades of misery about to be wiped out.
Two quick outs in the bottom of the tenth.
Everyone in the bar (not me) was chanting "New York sucks!"
And then one little bloop hit after another.
I was with my girlfriend Kathy, from Delran NJ.
I don't cry very often.
That night, I cried.
I remember my girlfriend Kathy asking me: "Why are you crying? Why are you crying?"
It was a very, very cruel night in Boston.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Oh that's right, it was Stanley!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes that's a common error, everyone remembers it as Schiraldi because it was Schiraldi who really epitomized the choke job of that night. The look of terror on his face as events began to unravel is just absolutely classic.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Glad to hear the positive note on the 02 SM which I bought based upon a board recco way back when.
Glenn
AKR

Post by AKR »

JimHow wrote:Ha everyone remembers that as Shiraldi's "wild pitch."
Indeed, it was Schiraldi who really choked it up, after getting two quick outs.
As a matter of fact, though, it was Stanley who threw the inside pitch to Mookie that tied it up.
And even though they scored it a wild pitch, Gedman should have had it.
I was in "The Rat" in Kenmore Square in Boston.
We were in ecstasy. Decades of misery about to be wiped out.
Two quick outs in the bottom of the tenth.
Everyone in the bar (not me) was chanting "New York sucks!"
And then one little bloop hit after another.
I was with my girlfriend Kathy, from Delran NJ.
I don't cry very often.
That night, I cried.
I remember my girlfriend Kathy asking me: "Why are you crying? Why are you crying?"
It was a very, very cruel night in Boston.
Wow, I'd forgotten all about the Rathskeller.
Used to nip in there before games at Fenway, when tix were dirt cheap in the 90's.
I also had a professor who had season tix who would give them to students when he couldn't be bothered to attend AL West games.
Hard to believe, but there was a time when the same day bleacher seats were sold for about the price of movie tickets, maybe $7 or so.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah yes, The Rat, with old Mitch with the voice box collecting the cover charge at the front door for the club downstairs. He's long gone now. I used to drink Bud bottles with Aimee Mann in the upstairs bar. It's torn down now, they built a hotel where it once stood.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When I saw Yaz get his 3000th hit in '79 I paid $4.50 for my grandstand seat. I like the fact that of the four final teams in the playoffs, only one of them -- Toronto -- was in the top ten in payroll. And they were tenth highest.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Haven't had the 02 in a while. The 04 is almost foxy with acidity.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That 2004 vintage is solid. I had a 2004 Lafon Rochet a week or two ago that was splendid.
AKR

Post by AKR »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:Haven't had the 02 in a while. The 04 is almost foxy with acidity.
We had the 96 a week or two ago. Splendid.

I need to get motivated and pull some of the recent vintages.

Spent 1.5 hrs last wknd prying out a lot of stuff, and had to take an ibuprofen, which put a stop to finding more forgotten swill.

Still have dreams of finding some long lost La Grave a Pomerol, but I'm slowly coming to that stage of grief, where I accept that I must have indeed consumed all those 98s.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

AKR wrote:
AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:Haven't had the 02 in a while. The 04 is almost foxy with acidity.
We had the 96 a week or two ago. Splendid.

I need to get motivated and pull some of the recent vintages.

Spent 1.5 hrs last wknd prying out a lot of stuff, and had to take an ibuprofen, which put a stop to finding more forgotten swill.

Still have dreams of finding some long lost La Grave a Pomerol, but I'm slowly coming to that stage of grief, where I accept that I must have indeed consumed all those 98s.

1998 la grave a pomerol....insane juice...one of the very best right bank wines I have ever tasted
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I had a lone bottle of the 98 La Grave a Pomerol, opened it recently, hideously corked. I was on a really bad run of corked bottles in September, something like 6-7 corked bottles that month.