TN: 09 Lions de Suduiraut [Sauternes]

AKR

TN: 09 Lions de Suduiraut [Sauternes]

Post by AKR »

09 Lions de Suduiraut [Sauternes] Label is quite pretty, with embossed lions. 14% abv. My first experience with this second wine, as well as anything from the 09 sweet Bordeaux. Color is a pale yellow, some particulates already. Medium bodied. I get some pepper, lemon, and spice on the nose. Maybe some honey glazed ham too. Nice palate of 20 seconds, but mostly a one note kind of flavor. Like a dish seasoned with just one herb. Doesn't have the length or acidity I think to age as well as other estates, but it's good drinking today, perhaps another 5 years at the same place. Probably better in its youthful joy. Very tough call on whether one should look for things like this -- which are quite good value -- or for just about the same money go for the grand vin somewhere else. It's a bit fuller than what I recall young "smaller" sticky bdx being. I remember buying a case of splits of some smaller unknown to me estates from the 89 and 90 vintages -- and they were good -- but their limited complexity became more obvious over the years. I think this will eventually have that happen to it -- when the youthful brightness wears off it won't be replaced by an amazing palate of flavors others develop over the years. I'm generous to Sauternes and this gets a B+ in my ledger.

JJ Buckley has quite a bit of this in stock, in both splits and regular formats, and its very good value. I'm mulling reloading on a few more, although my favorites are really Coutet, Climens, and Rieussec.
Roel

Re: TN: 09 Lions de Suduiraut [Sauternes]

Post by Roel »

Nice note. Imho, 2nd wines from Sauternes and Barsac are best drunk young. Then they are at their best. Complexity and seriousness is for the Grand Vins.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Once again, Arv, you show us your very eclectic taste.

Glad to see this 2nd wine showed well.

I am fond of les Carmes de Rieussec too.

Alex
AKR

Post by AKR »

I will look for some Carmes de Rieussec. It's been on my list of things to try.

btw, for those who like de Fargues - B21 in Florida has 750 mls of the 2005 for $72.

They've also got a few other wines from the region at fair enough prices

I've had mild shipping issues with them but might try them again this fall.

I don't think they let one accumulate orders though.