2012 Ribera Del Duero Emilio Moro

Nicklasss

2012 Ribera Del Duero Emilio Moro

Post by Nicklasss »

Fall is there. Time to open some decent sunny wine, to compensate for the chilly grey days.

This Ribera, 100% tempranillo, Medium to dark red. Nose is nice, perfumed, with dark berries, burned brown sugar, grape, spices. In mouth, vanilla, spices, ripe cherries, very ripe red berries flavors. Good amount of oak, medium tannins, dry soil. Final full of burning alcohol macerated plums. At the very very end, medecinal herbs. Very good, but I prefered the 2013 Pruno, not so long ago. Tn: 87-88.

P.s. I tried the 2006 Troplong Mondot in the tasting machine of my wine store, this week, and did not liked it very much. Superconcentrated, but too much. Burned ashes oak, prunes, not complex at all, rough. Tn: 84-85.

Nic
DavidG

Re: 2012 Ribera Del Duero Emilio Moro

Post by DavidG »

Nic I like tempranillo and should have more of it n my cellar.

I'm surprised that the local wine shop would be pouring (dispensing) 2006 Troplong. I'm not familiar with that particular vintage but would guess it would be at the nadir of its dumb stage. Not a smart move on their part if their goal is to sell it. Some people around here like 'em at that age. But it's a right-banker, so I'm not sure if even Jim would like it.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David, I felt the same way when the SAQ in Montreal offered a tasting of the Pichon Lalande. This was so tight that anyone not initiated with deep pockets would never understand what the hype about 2005 vintage let alone classified growth Bordeaux. When it's in the awkward phase there is NO justification to drink and it seems like a sad waste because little pleasure can be gained unless maybe you are Jim H.
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi guys, yes I understand the wine can be in a dumb phase, but my local SAQ load the tasting machine with different wines every two weeks, and thought that at 9 years, that 2006 right bank could start to show something. I paid 8$ to taste that (full bottle is 189$ here).

A few years back, I attend à 2006 small Bordeaux tasting, including Chateaux Ferrière, Beaumont, Puygueraud, Rouget, Prieuré Lichine and included also Alter Ego and Clos du Marquis. At that time, i thought the wine were slightly light, and would re-emerge from dumb phase in a few years.

So my experience with the Troplong is that it was not a pristine bottle, or the wine is too extracted/burned oak for the vintage and Will stay, unfortunately, a ugly duck...

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

It has been a long time since I've had Moro's wines, but as I recall they were excellent.

I think it was Steve Tanzer who first clued me on to them!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

I had that 2006 Trolong Mondot in 2009 or 2010 at a 2006 tasting and all I remember was exactly what you describe...over extraction and loads of heavy toasted oak. Not sure if it's a dumb phase or a dumb wine.
Danny