TN: 09 Ch. Maison Blanche [Medoc]

AKR

TN: 09 Ch. Maison Blanche [Medoc]

Post by AKR »

09 Ch. Maison Blanche [Medoc] This is a modern cru bourgeoise which is getting all the Stephane Derononcourt treatment (leaf thinning, long macerations, etc.) I hadn't heard or tried it before, but it seems like critics have taken notice in recent vintages. It's mostly merlot and is a user friendly, drinkable wine right now. There is a some earthy tannin here, so not a party quaffer without food. Pretty dark in hue, more purple than red. A hint of licorice on the palate, but mostly soil and earth. This was popped and poured, which was really the only option, but it could have used a decanting. Maybe with air and better stems it would have shown much better, but I'll give my example a B-. Personally would not reload, but others seem to have better experiences, and everyone else liked it much more than I did, guzzling it up.

Maybe years like 2009 are so good for the smaller wines that I'm imposing non realistic standards on that segment, expecting them all to be like the 09 Lanessan.
Roel

Re: TN: 09 Ch. Maison Blanche [Medoc]

Post by Roel »

AKR wrote:.....Maybe years like 2009 are so good for the smaller wines that I'm imposing non realistic standards on that segment, expecting them all to be like the 09 Lanessan.
That.
Plus I always find Bas-Médoc to be more earthy, less clean in a way. Rustic wines, but never stellar in my book.