2000 Tertre Daugay

AlexR

2000 Tertre Daugay

Post by AlexR »

I have long had a problem with Château La Gaffelière (St. Emilion First Growth) and the de Malet-Roquefort's sister château, Tertre Daugay.
Bottles just never, ever seemed to show well across a number of vintages.

When Tertre Daugay was demoted 2 classifications ago, this was widely seen as a warning shot for La Gaffellière.

The latter is presently undergoing a major change, and has hired well-known consultant Stéphane Derenoncourt to turn things around.
I would be interested to taste recent vintages.

As for Tertre Daugay, this has simply ceased to exist, having been purchased and renamed "Quintus" by Domaine Dillon (Haut Brion, LMHB).

This 2000 was very deep-colored with a mahogany rim. The nose was not very expressive, although there was some black fruit lurking behind not-very-well-focused tertiary elements.
The wine was big on the palate, but somehow hollow, and with a decidedly bitter aftertaste. Some of you may think that the wine just needed another decade or two. However, I'm very sceptical that the tannin ever was, or ever will be user-friendly. This wine was big, it was definitely Bordeaux, and my wife correctly guessed blind that it was a Saint-Emilion. So, it was indeed a vin de terroir - but one that was just not handled properly IMHO.

So, I drank a bit of history, a wine that no one will ever see again.

However, I really don't think anyone will miss it.

Best regards,
Alex R.
AKR

Re: 2000 Tertre Daugay

Post by AKR »

I too have been underwhelmed by La Gaffelierre. Maybe 90 was solid.

Other vintages like 95 or 98 should have been a bit better.

Have not tried any of the recent ones, but they seem to be getting better critical reviews.

Don't think I've tried any Terte Daugay though.