Drinking less red Bordeaux?

Nicklasss

Drinking less red Bordeaux?

Post by Nicklasss »

I opened less red Bordeaux lately. Feel like the prices are too crazy for the Crus Classés, I'm looking elsewhere. But, there still excellent Bordeaux, for good prices, if you are not too snob.

I made an"AlexR" or "AKR" of myself tonight, and opened a 2009 Chateau de Carles, Fronsac. For the price, this is a perfect 2009 vintage Fronsac. Full of that dense dark black fruit Merlot, from that cooler/denser terroir. Deep red, nose of light spices, dark blackberries, wood, black prunes, light burned blueberries, some tar. In mouth, it is rich, on blackberries merlot, but slightly austere too woth all the soil clay mineral, full of tannins, with a decent long licorice oaky finish. Green tobacco leaves too. Generous black character. Not a St-Émilion or Pomerol as less refined, but a strong genuine Bordeaux, made without make up. Tn: 90.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: Drinking less red Bordeaux?

Post by Nicklasss »

Remind me the 2010 Galena Priorat, I had not so long ago, but the spanish was having more burning alcohol feeling in mouth, even if 14%, while the Fronsac is 14.5%...

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2006 Felsina Berardenga Rancia was not complex, ready to drink, mostl'y made of black cherries, dust, chocolate and anis. But did not impressed me. Hope the next Star Wars Will be better than that.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I like Sangiovese a lot, but I've never been wowed by Felsina despite its high reputation. Nothing wrong, but nothing special in my experience.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nic, the Bordeaux we drink looks MORE red than formally. Is that due to heavier extraction? :)

In terms of quantity, we drink Bordeaux more often than, say, 20 years ago, but certainly drink fewer bottles of first growths and probably fewer of the super seconds. In the old days we drank more CA Cab because it was less expensive. Even if I don't intend to sell any wine we own, it gives me pause to open a bottle now worth $150-$200 to drink with leftover meatloaf.

I have been buying more Brunellos and Barolos; that is partly because of better value there than in Bordeaux and partly because of interest in those appellations. If their prices rise I guess I'll buy more Rioja and Priorat.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I'm with you Stefan, as I bought more Spanish wines lately. And looking at some Brunello and Piedmont wines at the moment, for next purchase...

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Spain (too often) = pickle juice; IMO.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Our normal red wine consumption is about half Bordeaux, the balance being a mix of Rhone, Rioja, and Tuscany.

Maybe a smidge of Napa/Sonoma and Piedmont in there, with Champagne a few times a month.

These are amazing times for consumers. So much great wine being made!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

This evening having:

- Champagne Lallier blanc de blancs
- 2007 Ch. Anna, Cuvée Louis d'Or (Sauternes)
- Beaujolais Nouveau (hard to get away from...)
- magnum of 1995 Ch. Haut-Macô, Côtes de Bourg

We'll see what else as the evening goes along.
Ten of us for dinner.
Antipasti, coq au vin, cheese platter, gâteau basque.

Alex R.
Roel

Post by Roel »

How was the Haut-Macô, Alex?
Wonderful property.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

The Haut Macô seemed a little dilute and was not terribly aromatic, but it had held up rather well after 20 years. It was better on the palate with fine blueberry overtones.

My guests were amazed that a Bourg could have held up so well and said they liked it.

By the way, this was the Cuvée Jean-Bernard from Haut-Macô.

Alex R.
Roel

Post by Roel »

I thought so Alex. The Cuvée JB is their top stuff. Had the 2005, 2009 and 2010 over the last years. All very good wines and still a sixpack of the 10 is cellared. This is one of those wines that keep Bdx on my radar. Not expensive, good quality and most of all a lot of fun in the glass.

Notes from my blog:

Château Haut-Macô Cuvée Jean Bernard Côtes de Bourg 2009
Pop and pour. Intense, fresh nose with ripe cherry, cream, plum, vanilla and licorice. Drinking like a typical, easy-going but serious 2009. Lots of crisp, ripe red fruit (cherry, cassis, plum), licorice again, mint, gentle and ripe tannins, perfect acidity, superb mouthfill, a certain refinement and with a long finish. Wow! Incredible value! Young Bordeaux with a touch of New World, a rarely encountered combination. Long live 2009, l'année sacré! 91 points

Château Haut-Macô Cuvée Jean Bernard Côtes de Bourg 2010
Pop and pour. Rich, pure nose. Lots of cassis, cherry, plum, ripe orange and stones. On the palate young and vigorous. Ripe tannines well spread with some extra power towards the end. Beautiful acidity. Crisp and ripe red fruit, clay, mint and licorice. Full of the virtues of youth and with great promise. Long finish. Obvious simularities in style between '09 and '10. Stunning value both are. The lush '09 is drinking now with a slight upside, '10 is made for a longer run. It's a child now. Let it grow up. 90+ points

http://dutchwinelover.blogspot.nl/2013/ ... -maco.html