Chateau Batailley

Comte Flaneur

Chateau Batailley

Post by Comte Flaneur »

What do you think of Chateau Batailley?

Batailley is a fifth growth Pauillac which seems to be making resolutely traditionally-styled claret, which has approx 70% cab sav and 25% merlot. 

Directly quoting from the UK Wine Society which sells the stuff:

"Château Batailley is one of the oldest buildings in Pauillac and has always appeared on regional maps. The name originates from the battles which took place during the 14th century on the plateau neighbouring Château Latour. The château was re-styled in the 18th century providing magnificent cellars for ageing the wines, and was classified a fifth growth in 1855. It is surrounded by a park covering six hectares designed by Barillet-Deschamps, landscape gardener to Napoleon III.

The property is owned and lived in by the Castéja family who also own Lynch Moussas, Beau-Site, Trotte Vieille and Domaine de l’Eglise. Since Philippe Castéja took over the running of the estate from his father, there has been considerable investment in both vineyard and cellar and this property, which was always reliable, is making better and better wine.

The vineyards are planted on deep gravel typical of Pauillac, with excellent natural drainage. Batailley has made consistently good Claret, popular with Society members over many years, but recent vintages have shown riper, sweeter fruit, undoubtedly in part due to the informed guidance of influential consultant Professor Denis Dubourdieu."

My ex boss and I loved the 1989, which is the finest Batailley I have ever tried. Some of my English friends have tried the 1961 and 1982 which they described as amazing.

So ostensibly there is a lot to love here. A traditionally styled claret and somewhat below the radar. At the 2006 en primeur tastings it showed very well and I purchased a case.

All gee-ed up, like a tennis player, I purchased a case of 2001 halves from the Wine Society about a decade ago, because I thought I couldn't go wrong. Under the radar traditional producer in an under-rated vintage in an accessible format. But at best these wines were not bad but they really were dreary, uninspiring and as dull as ditchwater. In my frustration I sold them.

Here in the UK I know some people who think this wine is an under the radar bargain, but I really struggle with that notion even though I love traditionally styled claret. I really don't get it. Last night I tasted the 2004 and 2005. 

The 2004 was tough and charmless, dominated by graphite and searing tannins, not a lot of fruit, and a modest spikey finish. This could certainly use a few more years to see how it evolves, but right now it under delivers.

The 2005 a significant improvement with a more inviting, rounder, fruitier, entry, more stuffing on the mid palate, and a better finish. I think this will evolve into a very good wine. But it is not outstanding in the context of the vintage by any means. However it should evolve well. 

I don't remember tasting the 2009 or 2010. But I suspect this is one of the many examples where the 1855 classification really nailed it. This is 5th growth quality no better, no worse. And wines like Cantermerle, a Poujeaux, Chasse Speen and Sociando Mallet are consistently better. 

But my overall take is that this is a wine designed for the long haul. If you have any postpone drinking it until the long run.
Blanquito

Re: Chateau Batailley

Post by Blanquito »

That's too bad to hear. I can't recall ever trying a Batailley. I do have 4-6 bottles of the 2005 in the cellar, purchased in a hope that this chateau had found new life. Sounds like I should wait until 2025 before disturbing its slumber.
Last edited by Blanquito on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

96 Lynch Moussas and 2000 Beau-Site were both nice after 10-15 years. The Lynch-Moussas definitely had some of that raspy charcoal/graphite going on. I imagine Batailley, being the "flagship," would require more time, particularly given the style.
stefan

Post by stefan »

If you must drink Batailley, drink an older one. It is never very good young. Haut-Batailley, on the other hand, is one of the earliest maturing of the classified Pauillacs.
Roel

Post by Roel »

I read good things about the 2009 and ordered a couple of bottles for a good price. On CT is scores around 92 pts and I intend to cellar them at least for a decade from now. Old school quality?
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

For me, Batailley is the most perplexing classified growth. When young, it's often somewhat harsh and uninspiring - as Stefan said, it is never very good young. But with at least 10-15 years, Batailley can be a stunning, savory, unconventional Pauillac. Almost always excellent, sometimes outstanding, but only if you like the particular, distinctive style of this wine. I personally like it very much. A few months ago, I had an outstanding 2002 with good potential for further improvement, and an excellent, ripe1998...
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've had a few older ones, including a 70 in magnum for a small dinner party a few years ago.

Nothing has wowed me, and generally I've stuck to the good years. Probably wines only to share with real bdx enthusiasts.

Based on this thread I've set aside a 2000 for consumption sometime soon.

I'm looking forward to trying it.

Surprisingly I have had good experiences with both the 1996 and 2000 Lynch Moussas, enough so that I'm guessing its just a function of the estate needing time and ripe vintages to shine, not unlike another traditional house like Soutard. Sister estates like Trotte VIelle have those same attributes -- and I went through a bunch of the 1989's a long time ago with pleasure. I've had a few vintages of Casteja's Pomerol, both when young and old, and they don't stick out as anything exciting.

But based on the higher acclaim Batailley seem to be recieving, I made some half hearted attempts at getting 2010, although still haven't purchased any. JJB ran out after my initial inquiries.

I think their problem is that people too often are buying lesser vintages, or not aging them enough, and that becomes their overall impression of an estate. So they never see what the peaks are like, which is presumably what enthusiasts are more likely to enjoy, knowing which vintages to buy, and having the cellars and patience to wait.

Some estates also should not be stuck into panel tastings, or dinner events, and should be enjoyed by themselves. That too might be an attribute of this estate.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I would not compare Lynch Moussas to Batailley, Arv. L-M is usually not deserving of classified status. The 1996 was much better than their usual. I have not drunk the 2000, though.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

My view of Château Batailley has changed somewhat over the past decade. I long thought it was a fairly dull wine, and would have ranked it fairly low in Pauillac. I would often prefer Haut-Batailley, for example. Over the past 5-10 years though Philippe Castéja was clearly making efforts to improve things and I think quality has been slowly climbing during this time. It hasn't been a dramatic change (certainly not as dramatic as I have heard some suggest) but more recent vintages were definitely more appealing. The 2010 in particular I really liked, although being spoilt for choice in that vintage I msut admit I wasn't moved sufficiently to buy any, and that's remained true of other vintages. The 2014 vintage seemed fairly smart at the primeurs as well.
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote:I would not compare Lynch Moussas to Batailley, Arv. L-M is usually not deserving of classified status. The 1996 was much better than their usual. I have not drunk the 2000, though.
I meant in the sense that they are owned/run by the same team.

I hardly ever see it anyways, and assume it only gets imported/distributed broadly in peak years, which are the only times I've had them.

The 96 was a touch better than the 00, I thought.

Separately - I've been getting emails for Colombier Monpelou, a Pauillac of low repute, almost never seen stateside, hawking the wine on the concept that because now that Mouton is going to use the grapes, that their back vintages are suddenly worth drinking! The estate has been sold to her first growth neighbor, and will be disappearing as a separate label.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I was really impressed by Lynch Moussas 2010 at a 2010 tasting just over a year ago.

I think maybe there has been a quality renaissance. I would love to hear other views.

However it was the very first of roughly 40 2010 Bordeaux I tried that day. I had to go home and lie down afterwards.