Chateau Lafite 1966 - a stefan kind of wine

Comte Flaneur

Chateau Lafite 1966 - a stefan kind of wine

Post by Comte Flaneur »

This was a good bottle.

It was a clear translucent, bright; immediately it mesmerised in every way. Everything about this wine is understated but at the same time captivating.

It has subtle notes of cigar box, cedar, tea chest, spices,...je ne said quoi...a magical mystery tour...was I mesmerised by the bottle and the label? Probably.

But it was enthralling; and it had a lingering finish..that lingered..,and lingered. I think Broadbent was right and Parker (and his followers) were wrong on this. But I heard there has been a lot of bottle variation. This was a good bottle. And a dream come true.

I think this is a stefan kinda wine.
Comte Flaneur

Re: Chateau Lafite 1966 - a stefan kind of wine

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The Lafite 66 was perched next to a Margaux 37 which was very much alive and interesting. But compared to the Lafite it was a bit, thick, soupy, unfocused, and a tad old and tired. It didn't have the delineation and focus of the Lafite.

But others liked it:

http://www.wineanorak.com/wineblog/bord ... f-old-wine
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice note, Ian. And thank you for the link. I like Jamie's writing. I really liked:
Peynaud is quoted as saying that great wines, tasted blind, often disappoint. It is true. Rather than suggest the emporer has no clothes, though, we should celebrate the fact that wine is more than just a liquid with flavour. There’s a cultural significance and richness. And old wines also allow us to connect with a vanished time in a very intimate way.
It nicely expresses why I am just fine with being influenced by the label, and prefer to know what I am drinking when I open a favorite bottle. Blind tasting is fun and educational, and good for making buying decisions. But for pure enjoyment, please don't hide the label of that 1966 Lafite.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, indeed, Ian; that sounds like my kind of wine! I served it and a '64 Lafite for a friend's 40th birthday because I did not have a '65 first growth

It has been ten years since I drank 1966 Lafite. I served it and a '64 Lafite for a friend's 40th birthday because I did not have a '65 first growth.
Not surprisingly, the '66 was far superior to the '64, although the '64 was quite pleasant. i have one more bottle of the '66 that we plan to drink next year.

For me a good thing about seeing the label is that it tells me what to look for in the wine. When I drink blind to judge wines I like to know the general class of wines (e.g., 1985-89 Bordeaux) so as to cut down the effort I have to make.