Christmas dinner wines: 2000 Giscours, 2003 Branaire-Ducru

DavidG

Christmas dinner wines: 2000 Giscours, 2003 Branaire-Ducru

Post by DavidG »

With temps on the upper 60s, I opted to grill lamb chops instead of our traditional Jewish Christmas excursion for a movie and Chinese food. I opened a 2000 Giscours and a 2003 Branaire-Ducru, and used some of the Giscours for the lamb marinade.

The 2000 Giscours was drinking really well. Good body, balance, early complexity, excellent. Disappeared quickly. In no danger of going over the hill. Should become more complex with more age.

The 2003 Branaire-Ducru was too young and tannic despite an aggressive double decant. Still slumbering, just not ready, though it seems like the fruit is there. I'll try the remaining half again tonight but will leave remaining bottles for another 3-5 years.
AKR

Re: Christmas dinner wines: 2000 Giscours, 2003 Branaire-Ducru

Post by AKR »

I had an 03 Branaire from a half bottle within the last two months that was pretty smooth and refined, just popped and poured.

The smaller formats are likely aging faster. I did not think it showed any particular 03 characteristics -- fat, fleshy, chewy etc.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Agree, this was more structured with crunchy fruit than fat, ripe and fleshy. It's smoother tonight but I'll stick with my plan to wait 3-5 years before opening another 750.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I have always had good luck with the 03 Branaire -- rich, layered, but well structured. Sounds like it might be going through a dumb phase at the moment, it happens.