TN: 00 Lanessan [Haut Medoc]

AKR

TN: 00 Lanessan [Haut Medoc]

Post by AKR »

00 Lanessan [Haut Medoc] Over a couple of days, drinks better on day 2. Purchased EP, first bottle of the case. 13% abv, medium bodied, reasonable legs. Color is dark red/brown, but no lightening on the edges. Bouquet like my mothers cedar closet. My example is still showing good grip, plenty to resolve there. For those who prefer silkier wines, wait longer, or mitigate that aspect by having this with food. I like this vintage more than the 96 or 03, but that's only from recollection, having never done a formal vertical of this popular wine, although I've had many vintages in isolation. On the palate I get red berry fruit, with a long 30 second tannic drying finish. Pretty good balance between fruit and acidity components though. Given how it drinks with more air -- the fruit sweetens up while leather and pepper emerge -- I'm in no rush to finish the rest of these. I think bottles of good provenance have the legs for more cellar time ... and perhaps then the tannin will get smoothed off. Medium to heavy levels of sediment, so consider decanting, or standing up ahead of time. These don't have the great texture that some right bank estates can achieve, but its nice to have variety, just as a closet is complete with both blue jeans and cashmere sweaters. I think that's the main point (for me) separating this from a higher level grade. I have not experienced the TCA problems others complain about here (in general), but to be fair, I'm not that sensitive to that, and in any case, this example is rich, fruity, and sound. It's a B++ in my ledger. A curious grade, sort of like those double blue ski trails one occasionally sees at some mountains.

PS: Some friends have had very old Lanessan's and claim they age longer than their price would suggest: a friend who is a bankruptcy lawyer (born in 1961) who we once shared a 61 Clos Rene with (it was exhausted btw) advised that Lanessan from the same year was still virile....astonishing.
stefan

Re: TN: 00 Lanessan [Haut Medoc]

Post by stefan »

Lanessan is a great value for people like Arv who have patience. Unfortunately, it is hard to backfill; e.g., the current WineBid auction has no Lanessan.
AKR

Post by AKR »

There was a time when Bassins kept a supply of back vintages around, and K&L does that now.

That was how I was able to try older ones over the years, generally.

(I don't see it at tastings or restaurants)

Still, even though it doesn't make economic sense, I much prefer doing the cellaring myself.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Arv, right now the only oldish Lanessan that K&L has in stock are the 1999 and 1993. At $60 the '93 is an easy pass. I have not tried the '99, but for $20 it is probably worth a try.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Visited the estate in 2007. A lovely, traditional château. Bought the yuck 2002 (really too green for me), pleasant 1996 and shortly afterwards received a couple of 2005's. Never had the 2000, but based upon the review I think I will let my 2005's sleep for half a decade at least.