TN 2008 Ch. Fonroque, St. Em.

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 2008 Ch. Fonroque, St. Em.

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Progress. Decided to check up on an 08 RBer to see if adding more from that vintage made sense. You'll recall the vintage was met with a yawn and/or a lot of skepticism from a lot of critics, except the only one who counted, who bestowed quite high ratings to the Pomerol and Saint Emilion areas particularly. I thought the Gazin was bwutal, the Fonbel weighty, dark and dry if a tad sour; the Figeac was altogether different in many ways good.

The Fonroque was typically strong and hard when it arrived. Four years later the wine still tastes like it was just released only it seems typically youthful and not brutal as before. More open and yielding. Raspberry aromas, the sour wood is integrating, the palate has plenty of sweetness and the levels of acidity and tannin seem appropriate. A bit of caramel creeps in at times and I can almost find some black tea like the 1998 Fonroque showed a couple of years ago. So not a lot of complexity yet but looks like its on track to deliver a nice experience in five years give or take.

Bottom line based on this point I would look to add some wines from this vintage as any deals present themselves.
AKR

Re: TN 2008 Ch. Fonroque, St. Em.

Post by AKR »

I've bought a handful of the 08 right banks too, even though I was not planning on it.

Between 05, 09, 10 it didn't seem like there was a need to go snooping there.

But very fair prices can motivate.

Fonroque is one I have never tried.
Roel

Post by Roel »

I loved all 08's I tried, both left and right. Fine wines, I prefer them over the 06's.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Definitively a candidate for aCinderella vintage.
I am drinking a Hortevie 2008 tonight - it is from the Borie stable, a Ducru in short trousers, not bad actually if a bit clinical.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Ch. Hortevie is one 2000 that's drinking well now.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I bought some 2008, as it s the birthyear of my first daughter. Some good stuff to have with her, at her majority: Malartic Lagravière, Léoville Barton, Lafleur-Petrus, d'Issan, Calon Ségur, and even a First Growth... And a gift from the BD, you know which Chateau.

My son is born in 2010, so I have good bottles for him too: du Tertre, Gloria, Calon Ségur, and what else?I will buy some more.

My problem is my second daughter, born in 2013... I bought a lonely magnum of Montrose.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Don't forget Piedmont/Tuscany for your son. Good year in that sector.

And 2013 has some promise in Napa/Sonoma. I've tasted a half dozen wines, and have been buying some. I have not bought in that region really since 2001.