TN: 94 Pontet Canet [Pauillac]

AKR

TN: 94 Pontet Canet [Pauillac]

Post by AKR »

94 Pontet Canet [Pauillac] Double decanted, cellared since release. With Worcestershire sauce marinated lamb rib chops. 12.5% abv. Full bodied, big legs. Was looking for a wine that still had tannins to with the lamb, and this paired well. Cedar and sandalwood on the nose. Lighter ruby but no change in color gradation along the edges. This was the first year that Ponet Canet started making strikingly better wines. I've made a point of drinking up most 1994's long ago; this is one of the few left, and perhaps one of the few still evolving. The palate shows red berry fruit that is on the polite side but the finish is a long 30-40 seconds with contributions from the acidity and tannin. The SO loves it and says it's beautiful. On the back of the bottle are the cryptic notes I used to lightly pencil in two decades ago, suggesting I drink this before 2025. It can continue to keep with no problem. I even remember the first time I tried one of these at the original location of the Union Sq. Cafe, a wonderfully BYO wine friendly venue back then. Great stuff, if you have lots, try some with fatty red meats. Or you can let it continue to develop. No lightening at the edges yet. Solid A- level wine.
Roel

Re: TN: 94 Pontet Canet [Pauillac]

Post by Roel »

Wow, my last ones were not that good. But I had some wonderful encounters before. Pre- horses in the Vineyard and Steiner, but sill lovely. Only have Las Cases left from 1994.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the detailed note Arv.

I too was convinced that this is on the downslope based on 3-4 bottles tried between 2013 and 2015. But the last one was just as you described. It restored my faith. Shame I have none left. I think where I stored them was in the mid-60s fahrenheit so they matured faster than usual.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Another bottle of this tonight with goat burgers (not by design) and it remains fabulous. A freakishly good 1994, with fruit and class, and not dried out like so many others of this year.

My original plan was to roast a bird and make some couscous....but our fridge blew up today. So after tossing out 4 garbage bags of food (including 4 tubs of ice cream!!!) I couldn't bear tossing my ranch raised goat and grilled it up right now for supper.

It's a lean, dry meat, with little fat, and an elegant wine doesn't help that much, but I was so pissed about the whole day, that I was having the Ponet Canet anyways, since it had been standing up since this morn.

We decided to replace the garage fridge too, and in theory, our Lebanese appliance shop which we've been going to for 40+ years, is bringing some new ones over in a few days.

No Frosty Paws nor ice cream for a few days though! Wine will have to tide us over.

DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I swear when I opened this thread I thought you were going to tell us how the Pontet Canet paired with dog treats. That got a chuckle before I started reading. Sorry to hear about your refrigerator woes. Glad the Pontet Canet was performing so well and able to provide a bit of solace.