NWR: Making of a Murderer

JScott

NWR: Making of a Murderer

Post by JScott »

Guessing this is widely already known here, but Making of a Murderer is a Netflix series that followed the Avery murder case in real time. My understanding is that it was a project undertaken by film students. A very interesting if not completely dispassionate look at the legal system. I mention it only because we have a good number of lawyers here who may find it interesting (or maybe just see it as another day at the office!). I'd be interested to know the reaction of our resident defense attorneys.
JimHow

Re: NWR: Making of a Murderer

Post by JimHow »

Yes I'm planning to queue it up. We're getting snow today in Maine, it's going to be a day of Netflix and football.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

By the way -- this is top secret -- I met with a screenwriter this week from London hired by Robert Redford.
Redford is producing a movie based on an Elizabeth Strout novel that is based on a case of mine up here in Maine.
The big question, of course, is who should be playing me?
I'm thinking either Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, or Paul Giamatti.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Matt Damon.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The film is a good example of the power to manipulate when telling a story. And when people wonder how propaganda works (why did the Nazis have such a loyal political base etc.) it is a real time case. There were no angels there, and wrongs seem to have been done all around.

The US Justice system seems like Figeac - it doesn't seem like it offers a consistent, fair, repeatable experience for all customers.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

George Clooney
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Jimmy Suckling.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

What the filmmakers downplayed was that this guy doused a dog or a cat with gasoline and ignited the poor animal. That is evidence of a sick mind.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jim Howaniec, the lawyer, writer, songwriter, singer, instrumentalist, and now an actor.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It's crazy! I had two dinners this week on Robert Redford's dime.
JScott

Post by JScott »

Jim, that's nuts! Will be looking for you on the big screen.....

Regarding the Avery case, no doubt the Avery clan is a rough bunch, and Avery himself is no angel. I suspect he probably is guilty. That said, it's the process I found fascinating. What constitutes due process? Reasonable doubt? Both his case and that of his nephew hinge completely on the confession of nephew Dassey, who is an incarnation of Steinbeck's Lennie if there ever was one. Regardless of what was omitted by the filmmakers (and undoubtedly that is substantial), there appears to be some extremely problematic conduct and procedure. Dassey's original PD looks like an asshat of the first order (as does the lead prosecutor eventually). I would love to know what was left out for Dassey's appeals to be denied.
JScott

Post by JScott »

+1 Damon
AKR

Post by AKR »

Apparently 10 different neighbors of Avery have come out and said the guy did it.

It's an ugly case all around though.

At one point there was a transcript of the nephews confession on the interwebs but it seems harder to find now.

I too place a lot of weight on the animal cruelty convictions. Jay's observation is good there. It's a very predictive prior offence for sexual/serial killers.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Best Supporting Actor nomination has already been bought and paid for.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Jay Winton wrote:What the filmmakers downplayed was that this guy doused a dog or a cat with gasoline and ignited the poor animal. That is evidence of a sick mind.
They down played and omitted a lot of stuff.
RDD

Post by RDD »

AKR wrote:Apparently 10 different neighbors of Avery have come out and said the guy did it.

It's an ugly case all around though.

At one point there was a transcript of the nephews confession on the interwebs but it seems harder to find now.

I too place a lot of weight on the animal cruelty convictions. Jay's observation is good there. It's a very predictive prior offence for sexual/serial killers.
There are videos of his confession.