2005 Ch. Duplessis, Moulis

AlexR

2005 Ch. Duplessis, Moulis

Post by AlexR »

Château Duplessis is an 18-hectare estate in Moulis belonging to Marie-Laure Lurton, who also owns Ch. Tour de Bessan (Margaux) and Ch. Villegeorge (Haut-Médoc).
Duplessis has an unusually high proportion of Merlot – over 70%.
I have not often had the wine, so was interested to try this 2005 (13.5° alc./vol.), which won a gold medal at the 2007 Paris Agricultural Show.

The color was lovely and deep, with a very dark core, looking younger than its age, but was not totally limpid.

The nose was understated to say the least. If you looked very hard you could find overtones of lead, untanned leather, and candied black fruit. But the bouquet was simply ungiving. I decanted the wine two hours before the meal, and came back to the next morning. Just really not much there.

The taste was a little better, with some richness, but also a rustic side along with cranberry flavors and a tangy, but rough aftertaste. Not a refined wine and one best consumed with strong food. At ten years old, this is as good as it will ever be which, I’m sad to say, is not much.
I would be interested to try a more recent sample, and probably 5, rather than 10 years after the vintage.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Rudi Finkler

Re: 2005 Ch. Duplessis, Moulis

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Thanks for the interesting note, Alex. I remember an excellent 1985 Duplessis-Hochecorne, my only experience with Chateau Duplessis.
AKR

Post by AKR »

AlexR wrote:Château Duplessis is an 18-hectare estate in Moulis belonging to Marie-Laure Lurton, who also owns Ch. Tour de Bessan (Margaux) and Ch. Villegeorge (Haut-Médoc).
Duplessis has an unusually high proportion of Merlot – over 70%.
I have not often had the wine, so was interested to try this 2005 (13.5° alc./vol.), which won a gold medal at the 2007 Paris Agricultural Show.

The color was lovely and deep, with a very dark core, looking younger than its age, but was not totally limpid.

The nose was understated to say the least. If you looked very hard you could find overtones of lead, untanned leather, and candied black fruit. But the bouquet was simply ungiving. I decanted the wine two hours before the meal, and came back to the next morning. Just really not much there.

The taste was a little better, with some richness, but also a rustic side along with cranberry flavors and a tangy, but rough aftertaste. Not a refined wine and one best consumed with strong food. At ten years old, this is as good as it will ever be which, I’m sad to say, is not much.
I would be interested to try a more recent sample, and probably 5, rather than 10 years after the vintage.

Best regards,
Alex R.
That collective ownership would explain why I see those 3 estates sometimes together at a some US retailers.

Thanks for that sidenote.

It's not like I drink tons of Moulis, but I've never thought of them as aromatic like Margaux.

But strong, earthy wines - rich on the palate.

Prior to 2010, I think the last time I really bought any was 2000.

And I've mentioned it before but the 2000 Chasse Spleen is just super right now.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The 2000 Chasse-Spleen was like a blue-blooded Arabian, if that makes any sense. I'm pretty sure I drank the two bottles or so I had already. I found an '03 in the cellar and I don't recall having tried it.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I thought I remember hearing that 03 was also a good year in Moulis, but I can't remember if I've had any, other than perhaps at a UGC event, where its too hard to really keep track of things.