Tn: 03 Duhart-Milon

Nicklasss

Tn: 03 Duhart-Milon

Post by Nicklasss »

Tonight, at my brother's place, some wines with dinner.

2010 Chateau le Sartre : white Pessac Léognan, like the one I can't drink. The wine is very good, but just my style. Dark yellow, nose of oil, lemongrass, strong oak ans vanilla. Maybe some cucumber too. Mouth is thick, heavy, vanille, oak, lemon, lime. Very long with some bitterness. Not for me. No TN.

2012 Vincent Girardin 1er cru les gravières: very good, not as rustic as some other Santenay. Little sweet red berries, light oak, strawberries, cherries, very fruity and seductive. Very young but very good. Tn: 88.

2011 Rapet Aloxe-Corton: exçellent. Strong nose of spices, sweet red berries, weed and light touch of patisseries. Mouth is elegant, medium power, full of fruit, ginger, muscad, cinnamon, light fennel. Cool. Tn: 89.

2003 Chateau Duhart-Milon: very ripe and 2003. Blind i don't know if i would guess Pauillac? And hope global warming won't male more 2003 in the future. Not that the wine is not good or excellent, but more "quelconque". Dark red color, nose is sweet and creamy, with strong roasted oak, plums, ripe sweet dark red berries, light mint and light brown sugar. In mouth, super ripe tannins, jammy dark berries, low acids, sweet tobacco. Long but with some alcohol heat. Missing some black character and freshness. Even if good, can't rate that high, if I think about the 2011 Calon Segur I had during Christmas time. Tn: 88-89.

Nic
JimHow

Re: Tn: 03 Duhart-Milon

Post by JimHow »

Interesting. I had a similar experience with a 2003 Lafon Rochet that I uncorked recently. I've enjoyed the 2003 Lafon Rochet a couple times but I've also found it a couple other times to be like the 2003 Duhart you have described.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Loved the 03 Duhart on release. My last bottle was like yours though, Nic. Wonder/hope that it's just an awkward phase.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Sold my Duharts for a great price a couple of years ago when the Lafite-Rothschild hype was high. Had a couple of 03's before they went and loved the wine, although I found it not on par with the 03 Pontet, which costed 40Eur at the time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have a pristine case of 2005 Duhart Milon sitting in my cellar that I am gong to leave alone well into my old age.
stefan

Post by stefan »

While I much prefer Lafite to Mouton, I generally like Clec-Milon and D'Armailhac more than Duhart.

Only recently have I drunk Rapet's wines (courtesy of the now defunct PC). Those that I tried are quite good and were excellent values.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Another estate I have not sampled in a very long time....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

While I much prefer Lafite to Mouton, I generally like Clec-Milon and D'Armailhac more than Duhart.
Boy for my taste Stefan, Duhart has been making wines that have had substantial amounts of Lafite characteristics in the past 20 years. Try the 2006 Duhart sometime.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:
Boy for my taste Stefan, Duhart has been making wines that have had substantial amounts of Lafite characteristics in the past 20 years. Try the 2006 Duhart sometime.
Plus one on this. D'Armailhac used to be my go to of these Petit 1er Growths, while I found Duhart solid but dull. That changed around 2000 when Duhart upped its game (though the 96 is impressive too).
stefan

Post by stefan »

Guess I should give Duhart another try.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Like Patrick says, it really seems to be a different animal since 2000 (plus 1996).
I've had some bottles that have approached the realm of Lafite in quality.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

The 2004 that I had couple of years ago was also fantastic with great terroir characteristics...