2016 UGC de Bordeaux / 2013 vintage

jckba

2016 UGC de Bordeaux / 2013 vintage

Post by jckba »

It's that time of the year again and this past Monday I attended the UGC tasting in New York. I think that tastings of this nature are invaluable as you get to taste a bunch of properties from each of the appellations which in turn allows you to form an opinion on the vintage and which wines fared better. Please note that not all properties are members of the UGC and therefore this is not a comprehensive tasting of 2013's and also that not all members attend each year (ie. notable missing properties from NYC were Haut Bailly, Figeac, Clos Fourtet, Pavie Macquin, La Gaffeliere, La Dominique, Larcis Ducasse, Pichon Lalande, la Conseillante and Climens). I will have to agree with the press that the 2013's are easily the weakest vintage of the trio of sub par vintages following the blockbuster 2009 and 2010 campaigns. The most consistent appellation for me was that of the sweet wines from both Sauternes and Barsac whereas for the reds, the St Julien's seemed to fare the best.

Wine of the day for me which would rate in the classic range of the scoring spectrum was the 2013 Coutet. And for those appreciating a little more sweetness I would recommend the Suiduiraut as they were the top dogs in show.

Wines I liked and would score in the 90-93 point range
Leoville Barton
Leoville Poyferre
SHL
Gruaud Larose
Pichon Baron
Clinet
Grand Puy Lacoste
DdC
Gloria
Le Bon Pasteur

I would be curious to hear what others thought and if the same estates were present at each of your cities events.
Last edited by jckba on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Re: 2016 UGC de Bordeaux / 2013 vintage

Post by AKR »

I attended a number of those in years past and found it difficult to taste so many wines, in such a short period of time, with so many people thronging around. But they are interesting, especially if one can go in the afternoon, before public attends. It must be tiring for the staff to do this for the 1-2 weeks they schlep around the USA mixing small talk and small pours.
stefan

Post by stefan »

A few of the 2013s we tasted in Bordeaux last May were a half step or so above dreadful. Some I would drink in Mexico in preference to tap water.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Poor Mexico - so far from God and so close to Texas.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

On New Year's Day I tasted a wine from Mexico. Can't recall the name, appellation, vintage or cepage (might have had some Malbec?) but I would definitely prefer it to tap water and from what I read to many 2013s from Bdx. Soft and fruity but not bad at all.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Ditto Stefans rave review of 2013 vintage experience. Not going to be rushing out soon to stock up on this vintage. 2015 on the other hand sounds like it may be another fabulous year and may once again make my last purchase venture into the offering when its released pending pricing.

Disagree on Mexican wines. We had a few bottles in Cabo two years back from Baja that were Nebbiola and Sangiovese based and were excellant quality and value. Unfortunately can't remember the winery. Checked when we returned and couldn't source it in Canada and couldn't find it through Total Wines so out of sight out of mind.
Danny
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I agree on the one Mexican wine I've had. It was a decent quaffer.